Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

UCOF (emergency)member
129 posts

Posted:
theres one tonight and incidentally...its in spittlafields market....nr liverpool street station...suprising seeing as you ARE in the spittalfields thread...!!

ring me if you need directions.. 07732878373 and anyone else if you need to talk to someone...or your bored...or your female

erm...this is only a temp account until i get home and get the password to my usual account...sorry (itsa still the same flipping wierdo though)

HavocHavoc
168 posts

Posted:
Oi UCOF, stop trying to pimp urself out! lol

Leave the poor little ladies alone!

Havoc

you have to let it all go... Fear, doubt and disbelief... Free your mind!

Times like these people wanna get High...
Real High and Real Fast...
This is gonna do it!!

Sacha.SILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
nice one!

i won't be able to come to the one tonight - is it a regular thing every tuesday night at spitalfields market? what time is it? how many people normally go? is it just poi, or staffs and other stuff as well?

cheers mate

Sacha.SILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
i'm a guy, by the way

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
That scared em' off

Spittalfields is every tuesday from 7:00, and theres much staffage along with the poiism, and even a little bit of jugglist action occasionally.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I'm confused. Why are these last messages dated from sometime tomorrow afternoon?

Well assuming I'm not stuck in a timewarp, I shall be there tonight

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Sacha.SILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
cheers for that... hopefully i'll be able to go to the spitalfields thing next week.

i think the time and dates of these post seem to be in the future because this is a new zealand website so it operates on their time, it's weird that they are already in tomorrow over there... at least i'm guessing that's why

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Yep, that's exactly why.

There's a little message in the bottom left corner that says 'All times are Home of Poi time (HOPT)'
It used to say what the time was in relation to Greenwich mean time, but I seem to remember that that confused some people too, so Malcolm decided to make it arbitrary HOP time to confuse everybody

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Spiralx?

Did u make it, who were u?
Come & Say hi next time - just shout "I'm a home of poi person" and like 25 people will come over and say hello

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

HavocHavoc
168 posts

Posted:
Doh! had too much college work to do that night. Will deffo be there next week tho for the fun and frolics!

Havoc

you have to let it all go... Fear, doubt and disbelief... Free your mind!

Times like these people wanna get High...
Real High and Real Fast...
This is gonna do it!!

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Hey there!

Just a quick update...

1. Spitalfields is definitely still on with no planned end date as yet. It all depends on how much we can stand the cold really.

2. We are trying to get a bit of heating organised right now, but in case we don't, please layer yourself properly so you can stand and chat OR play (obviously poi-ing like crazy keeps you toasty though!)

Cheers,
X
Carrey & SpacemonkE

UCOF (emergency)member
129 posts

Posted:
yes...warm and toasty...good idea batman

erm...this is only a temp account until i get home and get the password to my usual account...sorry (itsa still the same flipping wierdo though)

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Can we please, please, please be near the pub this week???

See y'all later...

Hels
x

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

UCOF (emergency)member
129 posts

Posted:
ok...i shall try...if i may carrie?

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
SpiralX is James, Drew and Dom know who he is you should ask one of them

Does anyone know Marco's e-mail? He mentioned that he'd be coming to Toronto sometime around christmas this year..

[ 29. November 2002, 19:58: Message edited by: FieryFlow ]

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Fanx FieryFlow

Dom is currently fekkin miles away but I know who James is now fanx.....

How do you know James from over in Toronto?

[ 09. December 2002, 04:35: Message edited by: SmallBoy ]

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Because he lived here for almost two years and we used to go out clubbing an awful lot

"Moo," said the happy cow.

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Small Boy you met him one night with me

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Hey ho spiralx, fancy seeing you here

So, I'm assuming we're still on tonight? It's gonna be DAMN COLD! But I'm sure we can keep ourselves warm with some red hot poi/staff action I will certainly be there as I have to meet up with someone so catch up with you all tonight!

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Hey hey it's Tuesday.......Ohh did I just get in there before SB and UCOF

See yall tonight

Bammers

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I have a demon cold so think it would be a v bad idea to go to Spitafields tonight.

Will definitely be there next week though - last meet before Christmas deshou?

Have a nice time tonight and anyone who cares to go for a smoke session this weekend - maybe seeu at Cafe Cairo.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
bloody hell it was freezing last night!!!! thanks to the faithful few who appeared. I didnt get into trouble with mother dearest thankfully!

hopefully see you all next week!

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
it was friggin freezing, i couldn't move in all the layers !

my hats better than yours noone has my hat my hats original my hat is the best !

but i like your hat too

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Well, I won't be at Spitalfields this week - have a Christmas Drinks gathering which I must attend...

So THANK YOU to Carrey and Euan for setting it all up (and hope you both enjoyed Planet Angel on Friday! ) and a big huge MERRY CHRISTMAS to all the Poi and Staff People who have given me something fun to do on a Tuesday night for the last few months!

See you in the New Year.... xx

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Happy Christmas Ali-bird! See you in the New Year.

Hope to make it along tomorrow, I will see how knackered I am at the end of the day. Some fortifying pints before would be nice. Anybody care to join me for a few scoops the pub before Spitz and if so what pub nearby?

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i finish work at 5:30 and am usually in the pub within about 10 mins if you fancy a pint beforehand.

i usually go to the pub nearby with the pool tables upstairs (can't remember the name but its between spitalfields and the station) or just into spitz bar.

however, i think the meet starts at 6:00 now (since last week) so you only really have time for a quick pint at best. how was the cafe on saturday night?

edit: just noticed your post about the cafe sitch in your 'come to the cafe' thread . thats a bummer about the change in attitude but i'm sure as time goes on, it'll gradually slip back into its old function...

[ 17. December 2002, 04:33: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
6pm. Thats early indeed. In that case, I will just bring my own with me and see you down there as it could be just before 6 when I get to Liv. St.

Shame indeed about the cafe, I think you could be right about the 'old' habits though. I think they just need to wait til the heat cools down and I guess writing about it online does not help either. I know freeparty sites are monitered so you never know who is watching what you say online. Scary

See u tom. so folks

- W B Yeats

MichalBRONZE Member
489 posts

Posted:
will bring your soundsystem down at 6pm. Many thanks!!

michal@juggler.net

beckyboomember
1 post

Posted:
hi guys, I'm another PA/Poi person, usually to be found with Ali Bird and spiralx, also have xmas drinkies to go to with Ali tomorrow, but hope everyone has a good time spining, maybe see some of you on Sun for a bit of fire spinning. lots of love
oh, Carrie and E, was great to see you on Fri, hope you enjoyed it

life is full of barbaric customs. I just hope they all end with a kiss like that...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
sorry guys....i im not going to be there tonight as i have way too much work to do...so i shall have to see you all on sunday..apart from jez...merry xmas matey! see you at your party!

Page: ......