Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
Hello Peeps!

Sorry long time no chat, work got a bit full-on. Consequently though, I’ve been given a bit of a holiday. Four weeks to rest, recuperate, and write the emails I’ve been meaning to for far too long now. Hence, sorry, but I’m back, and better still, I’m awake!! Wonders will never cease.

Dang it’s good, and it’s been too long. I vote we polarise the week – Have fun Monday through to Friday and then squeeze in a little work at the weekend.

Either way, Spits is going to be open from 6pm this week (Tues 17th.) Though, on the down side, I’m afraid that with the festive season upon us, this week’ll be the last one until the New Year But back early though on Tuesday the 7th

Erm, and apart from that, I’m really sorry about the cold, well, I guess I’m as sorry as I can for the b@stard Romans and Vikings settling in the cold wet country that wee while ago. But I am sorry that we don’t have a heating solution yet. I’m going to look at a few new places to see if we could move some where a bit more comfortable. And there’s more than rumour that the Kensal Fraternity will be re-starting a weekly Poi night - a most excellent venue in Kensal Green with great space for fire. More news on this as soon as I get it but for now, do keep coming if you can deal with it. Most people find it fine once they’ve been spinning for five or ten minutes. Though last week the indomitable Simon did cycle in and then spin wearing trousers! Yes, how the mighty have fallen. We’ll miss your knees dude, little knobbly rays of optimism, and possibly masochism too,

Oo Oo! And gad bless Planet Angel. Friday was everything I had come to expect over the last few months, and then quite a bit on top. Helloo everyone who was there!!! Really great night, and,as I see it, another 12 to go next year

Beckyboo - Good to see you, hope we'll find time to come and play a lot more next year.

Michal - cheers, hope it was what you were after.

Coleman, Kat and the other pub-goers. Good on ya. I'll probably be spending a fair while in Spitz Bar tonight as a couple of old friends are on their way down. Tuesday's really are such a nice day these days. T'is the way I wish more of my week nights panned out. Either way see you later.

Chains!!! Noooo!! Still, hope to see you on Sunday. And you can do Poi any time in your life just about, but you'll only get one chance at your studies. So respect for putting your back into it.

Ali Nuff said.

Either way, hope this finds you all well, and I hope you all have a lovely Christmas and New Year. See some of you on Harrow on the Hill on the 22nd.

Ahh!! Dang, sorry everyone, meant to say that this week, being the last one before Christmas, is free. Erm, sorry for the short notice, and I guess £3 isn't that much, but... Merry Christmas!! And thank you. It's been so cool, week in and week out to see so many happy, smiling people turn up and have fun.

Take care y'all,

Big SmilE,

SpacemonkE

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Won't be coming to Spitafields tonight after all as I just talked to my beloved and he is wrecked and staying at home. As I had a morning meeting today I am all suited up and could not bring my poi with me, so I am going home instead too and will play some fire in my garden instead.

If anyone is around Tooting and feels like dropping round for a spin you are of course, v. welcome.

Have a wonderful evening and I look forward to seeing you all in the New Year.

Yoi o toshi o, rai nen mo yoroshiku!

Happy Christmas

Kat

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Pity I couldn't make it this week due to going out for drinks, hope everyone had fun!

I probably won't make it down to Harrow this weekend either due to having been knocked down several stairs the other night on my way home and having bruises, cuts and lumps down one side of my body

But a happy Christmas and New Year to everyone, hope to see you all next year

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Sooo... is this carrying on next Tuesday, or have we found another (indoor!) venue? I don't know if I can come next week anyway, but I'll have to soon, as I had a lovely aerotech present at Christmas which I need to show off!

Happy New Year peeps xx

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i'd love to know if its gonna be on too

i'll happily turn up to do the spin-shiver thing if it all on...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Ewan said that Spitz would be back on this Tuesday, which is "peachy". So see you there

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yay! See you all down there

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Ahh the "peachiness" is spreading AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT - MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.............................HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......and so on (*Flash of lightning*)

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
sorry guys....but i shall not be coming for the next couple of weeks...something to do with life changing exams or something....oh well...

and giant balls of cheese with string on

see you all in a few weeks....

tonight...im erm...cough cough..having sex cough cough...and next week im examing...but i should be with you in 3 hopefully.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
For reasons I'm not quite sure of, I will be braving the extreme cold and turning up tonight.
I'm guessing that it'll be about -17C tonight, based purely on the fact I had to de-ice the inside of my car's windscreen 6 times on the way to work this morning

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
BovrilMonkey, how about I offer you cuddles to help keep you warm tonight?

Does anyone know what time the workshop starts?? is it 6 or 7pm?????

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

3,149 posts

Posted:
I reckon it starts at 6, thats about when I'll be turning up. Thats if I don't get distracted playing computer games and forget what the time is

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
You won't babe, I'll make sure of that one. Ohh and do we need CD's???

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

3,149 posts

Posted:
Seeing as John's not coming we might be short of music, so bringing CDs is a good plan.

Having a busy day at work. You can tell by the short posts

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Hi guys

I won't be coming tonight, I've got some domestic chores (read: moving furniture in a van!) to take care of ... but I know a load of my Angel-type mates are going. Someone say hi to Euan for me and tell him to find me for a hug at PA on Friday!

Big and to all.

Ali xx

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Ali-bird your wish is my command

Thinking of you honey

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I think cuddles are a great idea. Spread between everyone, they'll certainly keep us all warm
Or at least equally cold anyway
I think tonight might actually be time for me to spin wearing a jumper, I'll have to remember to see what the temperature is according to the display outside one of the buildings on the way from the station to the market.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I always get pissed off spinning in my jumper... dunno why, just seems restrictive. Probably the big baggy sleeves that tend to droop over my hands

Ah well, I'm sure vigourous spinning and some beer will enable me to fight off the cold

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I miss Spitz...

But i shall try to make it sometime soon. Ok...probably sometime in Feb, or March...

to everyone!

Alice

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
Thanks Bammers

Hope no-one got too cold! See you next week!

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
sweet jesus you are all so brave I commend you!!! It is bloody cold out there. Okay, I will try to finally make it to one of these events because the lighting fixtures in my flat are just taking a ridiculous BEATING.

Hope to be meeting some of you soon.

DTKB

DTKB

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breath away.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it was shockingly cold in there! I got there at about half six and stayed for a couple of hours, at which point it all got a bit too much and a load of us went off to the pub for some warmth and alcoholic bevarages

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
I started off like this then had some of this and ended the night like this

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
I think you're all mad!
But credit to you all for getitng out there and spinning the ice off your poi!
So what's it like to spin in the snow?

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
You wanna talk cold?! New years eve with my glow poi in the woods outside of Ottawa, Canada in -15 plus wind chill!!

Was still a good show though and I was pissed enough to not feel it too much even after falling in a snow pocket!! At least they could find me by the glow sticks! heheee

Kt

DTKB

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breath away.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Knoxious:
So what's it like to spin in the snow?
its wikid, if a little slippery - i span fire last night in the snow and you don't really notice the cold.

its a damn shame the spitalfields people don't let us do fire there - they're scared of us burning down their antique marketplace.

i'm just about to head off to whistler in canada so i'll be able to tell you what snow spinning is really like then...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
Hello hello hello,

Haven't been able to post for ages cos of probs with me cookies. Only just solved it, yay!

Does anyone have Rory's eddress or phone number? I grabbed his deets on Tuesday to tell him about Planet Angel tomorrow, but then my phone ate them Sorry Rory if you read this.

Also, at the end of Spitz did anyone happen to see and pick up a plastic bag with red fluffy material in it that Joanna (MangaKitten) left behind by accident?

Also also, Chains!! You are missed, but we respect the strains and constraints of needing to shag. Poi can occasionally be sacrificed for this (though obviously combine the two where ever feasible,) just glad that you're slipping some studying in there too

Also also also, Coleman good luck and God bless! You'll have to compare shots with Carrey when you get back, she was out there last year and broke them out once or twice.

And well done to everyone who turned up, for turning up. You're all obviously insane. And there's just no excuse for that type of behaviour. It's almost as though you enjoy it. Weirdos.

Good news though is that it's supposed to be a lot warmer next week (though I guess the bad news is that we've still got a wee while to go until spring .)

Aaaannndd Plllaaaannnneett Aaaannngggeeellll!! S'gonna be good, and there's going to be loads of us there again!! Yay!!!

Take care y'all,

SmilE

[ 10. January 2003, 12:32: Message edited by: SpacemonkE ]

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
And you accuse us for being mad.
OK, P.A. was kewl, bit cheesy but definitely a great atmosphere......hope to see more than the 25 weirdos that turned up Tuesday for an hour....but then it depends on which side on minus 5 the temperature is going to end up.

Hugz y'all

Smallz - xxx

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

faery emBRONZE Member
fae
259 posts

Posted:
i'm going tonight i'm going tonight i'm going tonight i'm going tonight *starts to sing*

warp children still smile the same

"when i left the mine i realised that the world was changing. or was it us who were changing?"

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it this week

I hope it doesn't get too cold for you all, snuggle together and you'll be just fine

Amy where have you been? I've not seen you in a long time honey.

Have one of these from me

Have a good one

BamBam

Page: ......