Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, *might* be along tonight, but the 'rents have just got back from New Orleans so might see them - however, they might be really jet-lagged anyway.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
I should see u tonight then...will bring some vids along.

Is NYC coming tonight? Would like to meet him since I hear he's a nice guy...

hopefully catch u all there

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Not this tuesday, not next tuesday nor the tuesday after that... but the Tuesday after THAT... I'm there. biggrin

Though I'll be coming directly off of the plane with no sleep the night before so I'm not sure how solid my poi will be. wink

I posted that a week ago. So if I'll be there in THREE weeks but that was ONE week ago...

3-1 =

I'll see you in two weeks. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: Hexagonic

Is NYC coming tonight? Would like to meet him since I hear he's a nice guy...

i ondt knwo who told you that, i met him last year in a park in sheff and he was a total bung whole! wink

so whats that NYC you are here in two weeks? biggrin

Step (el-nombrie)

nakedflamemember
15 posts

Posted:
I'm a Spits virgin coming to twirl tonight for the first time!
Hope Spits fireys are friendly wink Which side of the market is it?

I went to Clapham a couple of weeks ago and learned lots of cool new wrappy tricks now I am a happy Aussie biggrin

Sometimes I shouldn't say words...

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
nakedflame - it's on the opposite side from the Spitz Bar, you'll see us easily.

Anyway, I shall be along tonight, might even stay for longer than last time and get to meet some people. Most times I don't seem to manage it!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: nakedflame

Which side of the market is it?

the side with music and all the jugglers and twirlers wink

or 'the back' if you'd prefer a non-sarcastic, helpful answer ubbrollsmile

juggle

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

nakedflamemember
15 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys, see you there! weavesmiley
EDITED_BY: nakedflame (1087316530)

Sometimes I shouldn't say words...

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
hmmm... shall i, shan't i....

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I was going to go last night...

(its still wednesday for me really)

but i ended up not.

so that was silly.

I was in chesham as well redface

oh and duballstar....YOU GO!

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
erm... retrospectively thanks for the encouragement man, but i didn't in the end. there's always next week. *begins procrastinating in advance*

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Could someone who goes to Spitz fairly regularly do me a favour?

Firstly, I'm curious to know if Simian still goes, since I havn't heard from him for ages, since he lost internet access.

Secondly, I have a load of hugs here that need handing out, can someone nominate themselves as Random Hug Distributer on my behalf?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
sim still goes, at least he went the last tiem i was down about a week and a half ago :S

and i would love you be your hug distributor mate, but im just to far away to do it! frown

Step (el-nombrie)

fee fairynewbie
34 posts

Posted:
i want to come visit in a couple of weeks time, but i'm a bit shy...

Is there any chance some lovely lovely poi-er would meet me at the nearest tube station? i hate walking places that i don't know on my own.

I'll wear big fairy wings so you know who i am!

Fee

P.S. I'm also not very good, so don't laugh when i hit myself over and over and over again!

Huffstranger
18 posts

Posted:
Hey all,
Just like to say that I just went to my first ever poi event last night and I think it was brilliant. Very impressive variaty of things going on. (poi, juggling, diablo, devil sticks, staff) Twas all good. And I managed to learn a few moves (and reduce the amount of times I kept hitting myself in the head :-P) I was the bloke in the green London to Brighton 2004 t-shirt and the green sock poi (freshly from my old PE kit).
Just like that say thanks to all for making my first night welcoming. I will be returning.

Nick

Moderation: (-1, Mad)
Total Moderation (+3, Funny) (+1, Underrated) (-1, Mad)

FORTY-TWO

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I remember the t-shirt, but not sure I met the person. hmmmm.
Anyway, glad you enjoyed it and see you down there again!

(It was actually a bit quiet - lots of people were busy packing for Glasto)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Appearing at the next spitz, for one night only:

NYC!

ubblove ubblove ubblove

Even more grumpy, jet-lagged, smelly, and irritable than usual!

See! The horror of someone who has only slept for 4 hours in the last 48.
Hear! The tales of how he trudged there and is far too tired to spin.
Smell! The rank odor of someone who's been on a plane and hasn't showered.
Feel! The confusion of the lost American as he stumbles around looking for the "subway".
Taste! Um... no actually you probably don't want to do that.

Anyway, I'm damn excited. Be gentle with me though, it will be a rough 48 hours.

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: Huff

Hey all,
Just like to say that I just went to my first ever poi event last night and I think it was brilliant. Very impressive variaty of things going on. (poi, juggling, diablo, devil sticks, staff) Twas all good. And I managed to learn a few moves (and reduce the amount of times I kept hitting myself in the head :-P) I was the bloke in the green London to Brighton 2004 t-shirt and the green sock poi (freshly from my old PE kit).
Just like that say thanks to all for making my first night welcoming. I will be returning.

Nick

Ah, that was me teaching you stuff in the workshop like over the head butterfly smile Glad you had a good time!

Danniestranger
17 posts

Posted:
What time does spinning at the spitz usually kick off? I've been meaning to come along for ages now, but I'm usually too lazy or shy wink Anywhoo, have decided I must drag my ass along sometime soon as I know I will have a great time... I'm always up for meeting new people, learning new moves and just generally having a good time smile So yeah.... if someone can help me with times that'd be fab!
Cheers! Dannie smile

"don't dream it, be it...."

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
normally kicks off about 6.30pm ish spinners time (+or- 1 hour)is it your first time down if you dont know where it is pm me and i will give you my mobile number, and will bring you down smile

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I'm normally there from around 6:15 or so, but most people start to get there just before 7 or so.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Ladies and Gentlemen!

May I have your attention please!

On Tuesday 29th June, in the year of our Lord 2004, Spitalfields Transatlantic Spinning Society presents to you, fresh from the US of A! The man! The myth! The one and only! NYC!!!!

In town for one day only I heartily suggest that you make extreme efforts to met this unnatural wonder: a sarcastic American!

To make sure you do indeed make extreme efforts to attend we have arranged a tube strike so that you can prove your love for the man and myth by coming along regardless!

See you there!
EDITED_BY: Døm (1088463602)

lllk
182 posts

Posted:
39th? ubblol

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Damn! The 3 key is to close to the the 2 key. I want a keyboard with all the keys really f a r apart!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Indeed. I came 3300 friggin miles and puposely planned to be here on a Tuesday. Y'all motherfathers can take a bus home once or twice to come give me a hug. smile

Warning, I'm tired and cranky and particularly shaggy. I don't actually look like what you'll see today. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
I FOOKING HATE THAT IM NOT GOING TO BE HERE!

Step (el-nombrie)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Mmmmm a shaggy NYC... wink

Perhaps. I'll see how much mud is left in my eyes, ears and mouth and whether I can still work a car - but I'm a definite maybe.

Is Mr NYC not going to be around in nodnoL any othertime?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
well i'm walking, so that proves how dedicated i am. even though it looks like it's going to rain.

(ppppsss, don't tell anyone i'm only comming from moorgate...)

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
But Moorgate's miles away! And there's the treachous bwoling green of Finsbury Circus to contend with too!!!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well - I'll come, but only if NYC promises to do his "How to put event locations in the title" workshop he promised me a few months back wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Page: ......