Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
hug get well soon alex, i knwo what happen when you blow out a knee, hope ita not bad hug

Step (el-nombrie)

Weaselthe one and only, just like chesney
295 posts

Posted:
thanks
its actually really rubbish im in a cast for 6weeks and wont be able to perform again for 2/3 months after physio and stuff i dislocated my knee and ripped some stuff in it.

would appreciate hugs hug

birds might be able to fly,
but weasels dont get caught in jet engine's

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hug

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
me too! hug

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

DennyHere again gone again
157 posts

Posted:
Weasel, much sympathy from my direction. I started learning poi in the spring last year, and then this happened...

https://dennyd.livejournal.com/147061.html

...and I only managed to start picking it up all over again a few months ago.

I still can't dance, which is the thing that has sucked the most for the last 18 months. Hope you heal up quick...

"Talk hard"

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Weasel that sucks.

Get well soon peace

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ditto et al.

I wish you a speedy recovery matey..

I also still reckon you should have taken up finger painting...

rolleyes

Does anyone else think it sucks that it is getting dark now? I can rememember leaving spitz and it still being light out!
Its getting dark soooo early!

:fallsover:

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
And it's also bloody freezing at spitz now.

But it can't be both ways forever!

hehe

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
sooo my days in this lovely cold country are quickly counting down the 30th of november will be my last spitz for a undefined amount of time would be lovely to see lovely to see all you londers there one last time smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna miss my last chance to go to Spitz on this trip tonight... my girlfriend's brother just had a baby (technically he did not do the birthing, but you know what I mean) so we're going to Harpenden to see the baby...

Thanks to Kevin, Ewan, Simon, Rory, Nick, Robyn, and the rest of you lot for making my London visit fun. I'm sure I'll be back in a few months. If any of you are ever in San Francisco, let me know!

Orbit (Roger)

*robyn*BRONZE Member
111 posts

Posted:
NO! how sad that we won't get too see you!

i even got you a galaxy chocolate for your plane trip home! you'll just have to pick one up at the airport. i recommend the fruit and nut variety.

i'll be returning to the homeland in a month ('tis the season, fa la la la la), so if you think you'll be heading vancouver way around christmas/new year let me know! i'm itching to see the new play studio.

take care, safe journey, it was great meeting you!

robyn

my state of mind creates my world

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Once again The Monkey is coming back to Spittalfields!

So what do you think about that?

The Monkey doesn't CARE what you think about that - Jabroni!

The Monkey knows that he is the most electrifying monkey in Sports Entertainment, and he's coming back to light up the lives of his millions and...

...millions of fans.

Do you smelllllll...

...what The Monkey is cooking?

umm

(sorry. been playing Smackdown on my ps2 a bit too much... Roger - i'll see you around dude, sorry not to be able to say goodbye in person hug)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Mmmmmm Smells like food good whoelsome food....

Yummy can I have some?

I guess I will be able to as I will be making a cameo at spits soon.. I've heard some pretty interesting people are known in those parts!

Get ready the pixie will be back soon with more bubbly pixie mad energy than ever!

*DISCLAIMER*
do not expect much, its jut little old me!

huggles to those I miss dearly you are in my heart always!
k

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
OOoh make sure you make a Cameo Dec 14th! Just little ole you! Tsk - You are a GODDESS!! Mwah!

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
if the monkey is going to be comig down to Spitz again i'll have to get myself a big net to catch him with!

and maybe brush up on that curious George fellow...

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Sorry you won't be there Roger, have a great time back in the crazy land of USia wink

I will be down at Spitz tonight, hurray!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I made a load of CDs with videos and photos from my trips to Spitz and the LJC... hopefully my girlfriend Vanessa will show up tonight and distribute them... if not, she's supposed to send them to Kevin for distribution.

*robyn*BRONZE Member
111 posts

Posted:
what a star!

my state of mind creates my world

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Hello lovely Londoners wave

I have a wee favour to ask. A friend of mine, the lovely Cecile from France, is moving from Dublin to London next week (to Brixton methinks)

She's been spinning for a few months and was/is immediately as obsessed as the rest of us devil She's really dying to get to meet some other spinners in London and to attend some of the meets/workshops etc.

As I'm sure you can understand, it can be quite intimidating turning up at these things on your own, not knowing anyone (she's not a member of this board - yet!) especially in a strange town.

So I was wondering if anyone would mind perhaps meeting Cecile some evening and bringing her along to one of your London gatherings and introducing her to a few peeps.

Volunteers can PM me your tel number and/or email address so she can get in touch as soon as she's settled in.

Much thankyness biggrin

Lisa peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

DennyHere again gone again
157 posts

Posted:
I'll send you my details - I live in South London (further south than Brixton actually), so at least I'd be heading up from the same area.

By the way, there's a juggling workshop in Brixton on Wednesday nights, although I've heard there's not as much spinning at that. I haven't been along yet...

"Talk hard"

BrassMonkeymember
71 posts

Posted:

While we´re talking about favours... hehe...
Some of you may remember an Australian meteor-spinning, contact-juggling guy called Ivan.

You might remember me upside down.

Hello! I´m arriving in London, on the 22nd of December, at about 11 o clock. I´ve got to blast off to Dorchester the next day, to see my folks for christmas, but I´ll need somewhere to crash that night. Does anyone know of any floors or sofas that might be available to a weary traveller? I can repay you in pretty shiny things. If not, it´s no drama, I´ll work something out.

I´m looking forward to seeing you all again, and coming to play after christmas. See ya!

Time's fun when you're having flies

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Sorry Brassmonkey - I leave UK on the 20th so can't be of service.

Myself and Kiwibex will be at Spitz tomorrow - look forward to seeing some folks for Christmas spinning and drinkies (more drinkies than spinning probably as I am stiff and sore after much spinning at London Decompression party

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Yay, I'll be down tonight smile

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Boo, I'll not be down tonight frown

Brassmonkey, you funky monkey. I have no place to offer, so i'll offer someone else's angel2

Why not call the elusive Mr Weasel? PM me if you don't have his number smile
EDITED_BY: simian (1103053718)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

BrassMonkeymember
71 posts

Posted:
Simian, thanks mate!
Yeah, I PMed weasil, and emailed him, and if I don´t hear back by next week then I´d love to get his number off you. But I have a cousin in London, somewhere, if worst comes to worst.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

Boo, I'll not be down tonight frown

Awww, you missed my new extra-silly negative space moves....

faery emBRONZE Member
fae
259 posts

Posted:
wave i'm going to spits next week bounce weavesmiley grouphug

warp children still smile the same

"when i left the mine i realised that the world was changing. or was it us who were changing?"

BrassMonkeymember
71 posts

Posted:
I tracked down my cuz, so I´m fine for somewhere to crash now. Don´t know when I can make it to Spitz, but hopefully really soon. Can´t wait to see you all, and get reinspired about this spinning thing. Big hugs.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
is spitz and brixton on next week being the festive saeason and all? methinks i'll be about if it is.... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Spitz is on next week, though I was in a silly giggling fit and also blinded by camera lights when Euan made announcement about this so I could be wrong!

I'm off to Eire for Christmas on Monday so Happy Christmas to all and see you in 2005!

- W B Yeats

Page: ......