Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
I finish in 5 mins babe, so I'll be running home (yeah right), bimbling home and picking up some staves for later.

BamBam

Night night HOP

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

shadsmember
36 posts

Posted:
OK guys I landed in london last thursday, so tonight spittlefields is going to be my first fire outing (even if there isn't fire). Please be nice...I promise i don't bite too hard

shads

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
ooh look! People coming to Spitz!

Its always important that people come to Spitz otherwise i'd be there on my own. Which wouldn't be much fun at all really.

See you there

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hey shads

i'll be the tall one with orange poi that looks like he should probably hit himself a little less...

come and say hello when you get there and you might not even need to bite us (although that bambam does get very cheeky and sometimes you just can't help nibbling ).

kat - i was talking about a couple of staffs that bammy is gonna bring down for me. not that i can even do one properly yet! anyway, only nutters do devil stick

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

shadsmember
36 posts

Posted:
ok so now I've decided I'm coming tonight, how the hell do I get there???
I'm being told that what I thought was wehere I was going is old spitalfield, and that theres a new one somewhere???? So do I go to old or new? *help*
if i hear nothing, then i will head to old spitalfield and wander about looking for you all. Otherwise can someone private message me a phone number I can call? please?

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
If can't find it in every 3rd post -

07984 288063

L8rs

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

shadsmember
36 posts

Posted:
Wandering along next to the markets last night, peering through windows thinking 'I can see them spinning....now just how to get get to them'
Well I managed to find a door and get in, and really enjoyed last night.

Thanx to bambam and everyone else who's name and nickname went with a complete overload or names and faces and everything else. Was a great night, and I expect I'll be wandering along each tuesday from now on.

Flic

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Hey Shads twas really cool to meet you last night, hehe and I didn't even realise that you were HOP till it was time to go

Guys, do you realise this lovely lady has only been in London a couple of days and already she's stuck with us...mwahahahaha we'll NEVER let you go now!

Looking forward to more *HUGS* yeah we love em sooo much and giggles on Sunday.

Ohh Shads I've PM'd you my mobile number, thought you might need it for directions for Sunday.

Adam I think you've started a DEVIL craze, how about a workshop next week???

See yall later

BamBam

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by coleman:
anyway, only nutters do devil stick
sorry, i'd just like to clarify that - only nutters do devil stick well. to the rest of us its just insanely hard. respec' to the ads

but a 'workshop'? whats one of those when its at home? whatever, it doesn't sound like something that would fit in with our crowd too well

was good to meet ya shads - sure we'll bump into each other again soon and i'll do more than just say hello, hug you and run off

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Flower fairyBRONZE Member
98 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone
I hope you had a fab time last night. I was feeling a bit shy so didnt come but small boy thank you for the words of encouragement you made me feel much better!! I was practicing my poi in Picadilly circus last night waiting for the bus and all of a sudden this guy appeared who had been practicing his staff on the other side of the road and thought he would come over for the chat. Guess that poi must attract positive people so I will try and come next week and hopefully somebody might be able to teach me a bit cos im pretty crap at the moment.....
Look forward to meeting you all
and an

some people take a walk in the rain and others just get wet

Smiling is infectious. Please pass this on.

shadsmember
36 posts

Posted:
pft coleman you mean I met you last night? I think I missed something there. aahhh bam bam I didn't get your message with your mobile number, so will private message mine through to you.

all my last address book is on my australian mobile sim card, so my phone has been looking very sad with nearly no numbers in it after last night its starting to look healthier many new friends that give hugs is ggooooooddd

looking forward to Sunday, help finding the common will be great bambam

catch you all soon

Flic

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
so...we brought this is a few weeks ago and it seems to be a great idea for the next HOP poll:

how many spliffs would it take to hotbox spittalfields?

2,737 posts

Posted:
At least another 3 -

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
really? that many? blimey...lets try it next week..

3,149 posts

Posted:
Now now, boys and girls.
I don't want to sound all Wary Mighthouse, but enough of the narcotic banter, please

There are lots of very nice people who can be very much put off or turned away by it. Or even turned off or put away. Or even...

mmm, and it does terrible things to your brain too. The way certain substances do to concentration your is

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
Oi, UCOF and SB, I know you're joking but it's a good point that I've got to jump on. Sorry to be big bad organiser but a little reminder to eveyrone...

We only get to spin at Spitz until we get kicked out or it becomes too expensive. On the expense side, we didn't exactly survive winter but I think it was worth it for the happy hard core (nutters in T-shirts at 5°C ) and to be open in the summer. And though the rent's gone up the summer is almost so here we should be ok but...

...we will get kicked out if we don't respect that a lot of people often don't see things the way that we do, and unfortunately they're the ones that can ask us to go elsewhere. Hence, please be tidy, ask for plastic glasses if you're drinking, and please take a wander outside the market if you fancy improving the air's ambient aroma

Right, nuff of that, and cheers for your ears.

Part from that I hate you all, please don't speak to me if you see me, and if anybody hugs me I'll break their arms.

(Sodding sunshine )

Love,

SpacemonkE

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

3,149 posts

Posted:
Aww he's a big sweety really

*snap* *snap*

AAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGHHHHHH!

oh the pain... the terrible pain...

i'll have to learn to spin with my feet like UCOF, and then someone will make a film of my incredible struggle against adversity. I'm not giving them the rights unless they get Tom Cruise to play me though. Or possibly Craig David or Ricky Martin.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Tuesday was lots of fun! The we love devilstick club was formed, there were a group of people tossing clubs to one another, there was a real festival athmosphere in the air!! Oh and warmth!!

Well done to all you nutters who kept Spitz going during the winter and lightweights and pansies like me look forward to lots of sessions with the arrival of warmer weather

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
so its final...no more tasting the sweet air of adversity inside spitallfields...outside only....with some bananas and a dafodil too.

i hereby promises to not 'smoke' stuff (except normals) in spitz

i hope everyone else does too... otherwise smallboy will snog your face off..

im bringing a mouthguard tonight..
EDITED_BY: UnscrupulousChavOffersFoot (1339153698)

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Come on you loved it.....we all know you did

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
well.....

lol

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Jon - try not to be heartbroken if Smallboy does not shower you with kisses tonight.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but my sources tell me he has a girlfriend

I won't be joining you down the back alleys tonight or falling into that gutter off BamBam's

Now that I am reaching those heady-scales of my late twenties My body is shot! Put my back out carrying TV out to the garden for the Ireland v England match Sunday and still feeling all twingy and shuffling like a 90 year old.

Have a nice time and see y'all next week

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

2,737 posts

Posted:
lol @ SpacemonkE......hmmmm the words standards and double come to mind - lol

Quick points, although i do agree we should find somewhere else to smoke.

1) You're not encouraging ppl to disappear if you're smoking with us ya big tart you.
2) Peeps - Don't just wander outside and hang around in groups. There's 3 times the amount of cameras round the edge of the market and down surrounding alleys than there is inside. At least make it look like you're attempting to disassociate yourselves.
3) Weathers warmer, got no excuses any more.

See y'all there in half hour

2,737 posts

Posted:
..........and then it all falls down -

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
what? spittalfields fell down?

no where to spin on a tuesday night....hhmm...maybve i can now concentrate on my studies and not end up getting stoned and spinning things..

aaaahhhhhhhsodit

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ladies, gentlemen and jez.

i shall not be coming down tomorrow
i will not be coming down tomorrow
i cant come down tomorrow
i will not be there
i shall not be there
i could be there, but i wont be

cos i have EVIL ass IT coursework to do and its properly evil...

which means no bob marley biftas for you...but some for me...

hoorar!

wish i could be there...but i cant...so sorry to everyone...will be there the week after this one (next week i belive you call it) unless i am in germany...spinning...on my own.....with a wombat and a parsnip.

2,737 posts

Posted:
Methink u scared - lol

Ali-birdmember
102 posts

Posted:
I'm coming along tonight! I've missed it these last couple of weeks...

Am also bringing along a new person (well, she's meeting me there and will almost certainly be there before me), so if you see a talk dark haired girl who answers to the name of Susie looking lost about 7ish, say hi and someone lend her some poi!

See you later peeps.

Why is it that everthing which is fun is illegal, immoral, or fattening?

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
Boo..... when is Central Line gonna start up so I can make Spitalfields.. it's so far (I'm north west) and boo work in the morning... booooo!!!

I read all this and just wanna cry...

I am coming next week... forget the distance, forget being shy!! I'm just gonna show up and join in. If there's any other relatively shy persons wanting to come with me (power in numbers) let me know!!

Until then, happy spinning sans DTKB.

DTKB

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breath away.

2,737 posts

Posted:
Again SmallBoy pushes back the boundaries of how drunk you can get on a tuesday night - woooohoooo

Page: ......