Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > London - Summer Spinnin' - Now Every Sunday!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Summer Spinnin'
Sunday chillin and spinnin in the sunshine
Every Sunday
Clapham Common

4pm until afterdark
Contact number for Dom: 07971 698454

After the beautiful success of PiP5 we're delighted to help keep the energy flowing through into the future. With regular events we hope more people can benefit from gatherings of kindred spirits. PiP has returned home to the North where they spin come rain or snow or shine! So, please welcome - Summer Spinnin'

If your can please bring your friends for chatting, toys for playing, blankets for sitting, cakes for eating, something for music & beats, and fire! These days are what you make of them, so bring what you expect to find.

Where exactly? Just a few paces west of the bandstand at the centre of the common is a lovely area where curvy ground, trees and bushes will shelter you from the rest of the world while letting you have enough room to play. Here's a map. Nearest tube is Clapham Common, and Clapham Junction train station is only a short stroll away.

Why Clapham Common? Because lots of people live nearby Also it's near central London, is very easy to get to, isn't too big to get lost in, has a lovely area for us, and it isn't a proper park, so the rules are not so strict.

Wasn't this every fortnight? Yes, it was, but this is proving popular and I'm hoping that as a weekly event people who were busy on the previous dates will be able to attend. This is also now the only organised, late night fire spinning session in London.

Why Sunday? Because on Saturday people tend to be busier. What's better than finishing a weekend off by relaxing in the park!

For more information email myself or Glass, depending upon whether you prefer blondes or brunnettes

There are also plans and ideas for a larger event of the summer, but you'll have to wait to see what becomes of that.

Sunshine and smiles to all
Dom

---------
Summer spinnin' had me a blast.
Summer spinnin' happened so fast.
Summer days spinnin' away to those summer nights....

[ 06 August 2002, 03:49: Message edited by: Dom ]

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Ah, that's a point, I take it it's still just past or around the bandstand like it was at PIP?
I wouldn't want to turn up and have to wander around for ages trying to find people.
Although I imagine that burning stuff would be pretty hard to miss, even from a fair way away

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
See you all on Sunday.

XXX

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yep, hopefully it'll be in exactly the same place as PiP. If there's any normal people picnicing there we'll just scare them off

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Sorry for not being there last Sunday but I (and others) were getting wrecked at a (slightly dissappointing) pro-cannabis rally in Portsmouth.
....but if you REALLY want to see more of me, then I'll go topless:- but only coz it's u - LOL
Errrrrm - good point, you mentioned it is nice to see regulars like me, but I wasn't there....damn, does this mean I have an evil twin - OMG!!!!!! - Is he better than me? (and yep u missed heaps o' peeps - Lisa, Dizzy, Aussy Dave, Jez etc.....)
Anywayz - yes Sunday - Stay peachy peeps....
Try not to miss me 2 much til then
Much luv - xxxxxxxx

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

pink flagsmember
18 posts

Posted:
hi ya

I'll be there sunday bringing the sunshine to everyone, along with the pink flags of course. Pimms sounds an excellent idea to accompany (sp?) the Doritos and Revels...

see you soon
x

BurnsBRONZE Member
40 posts

Posted:
the Northampton Massive should make it down sunday. if the guy with the fire clubs is there again that would be wicked. should have the phat sound system again so bring tunes.

'when i'm older i want to be a tree!'

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Wicked burns, hope to meet you all. Please come over and find me if I don't recognise you just on the basis of being new......saying that I'll probably walk round and introduce myself to everyone anyway.......
(Silver and Black Poi)
Cam

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yay - I'll be venturing up on Sunday with the Guildford Massive... All 8 of us

Looks like a nice big gathering! Bring on the Sunshine!
What time is good to turn up?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Cool, lots of people!
Turn up anytime. Normally people turn up 4/5ish, but as it's a nice day I reckon people should turn up earlier. Just take over the good spot we were at before, just into the trees from the bandstand, and start spinning to declare your presence for all who turn up! As I'm local I'll try to be out there about 2ish. I said try. I was only 3 hours late last week!

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Just got back home from Clapham, it's now almost 2am - I left at 10.40, a fair trek because of the trains.

I turned up late but what little I saw was really good, except that I spent most of the time lying in the grass trying to cool down so I didn't get round to saying hi to many people.

I don't suppose anyone found any metallic dark red conical poi type things with blue finger loops lying around did they, I managed to leave them in the grass by mistake.

Anyway, despite getting there late, and being really hot and losing a pair of poi, I had a really good time, thanks to all those involved

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Hallo! Lovely day. Nice weather definitely makes it a lot better and brings people out! So thanks to everyone for a lovely day!

I found one of your poi. I looked around for the other but couldn't see it. Looking for dark poi in the dark isn't that easy ya know!

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
It was really, really lovely...I'm hoping there will be more sunny days for the fair-weather poi-ers in London (of which, sadly, I am one.)

Loved the two sparky poi demonstrations...so beautiful...

And Dom...I have a nice little bruise from your gorgeous, gorgeous Meteors...thank you for letting me play with them. I think I'm going to have to buy myself some of those, if you don't mind. A sincere form of flattery, no doubt.

I, along with all poi-ers out there, should be in the clink for Masochistic GBH. )

Have a good Monday,
Carrey
X

Spiral_komember
44 posts

Posted:
I was wondering if you were still meeting up on Sundays?? I have just started poi - Michal is my teacher (great teacher!). Looking for somewhere to practise and cool ppl to chill & twirl with!

Spiral_ko

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yes we are! Although Sundays are becoming more talking than spinning. There's also Tuesdays and Thursdays for cool spinning evenings.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Dom, cheers for finding my poi , at least getting 1 back is better than getting none of them - I can use the pattern to make some more.

I'm assuming from a couple of your posts that you know Michal, how much hassle would it be for you to get the poi to her, since I can collect it at my next lesson. Otherwise I could PM you my address and give you a bit of cash for postage (I don't know how much they'd cost to post).
Or I suppose since I'm planning to start going to spitalfields on tuesdays, I could say pick it up and say thanks in person (I'm assuming you go to that too)

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
ahh the famous michal, is she the one who did this scroll to the end, its well worth it I'm just waiting for her reply, but its ok, I've got more ammo.

bring poi on thursday, I'm trying to drag that grill out to play at kesal.

bovril foot nearly walkable, found a mirror room, but not high ceiling at berko sports centre, haven't checked price. so play soon.

Drew

Spiral_komember
44 posts

Posted:
Can someone txt me -- I would love to go tonight (depending if I can get there in time)

here is my number 077-3325-1511. my name's Beth

If not tonight I'm sure some point in the next few weeks you guys will be getting together.

Look forward to hearing from someone

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
ok beth,
txt coming your way, phone me back for details, yea, and come play tonight.
dom is the one with the great hair, I'm the one with the limp

see you later tonight in kensal round the camp fire.
Drew

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Tonight? eh? It's Thursday? You mean this thing tonight? There's a map and everything.

It goes on late into the night, so pop along, say hello, spin, and enjoy the view. Always a please to meet someone called Beth!

Spiral_komember
44 posts

Posted:
How wicked is Kensal Rise!!!! What a creative Space! So what is this about it possibly not running in the future? How long will it last? It was nice meeting you Dom, but Glass??? Who were you? Were you there last night?

[ 23 August 2002, 22:53: Message edited by: Spiral_ko ]

lollipurple penguin- soon to be
478 posts
Location: playing with the pixies at the arsse end of the mi...

Posted:
*jelous jelous*

hey guys nice to here everyone is having fun in ole londinium will see y'all on the 1st . . i think yaaaaay

ucof howd your results go? hope all is good *no worries. .teehee*

take care
hugs and fluff
lolli x x

My spelling wobbles. its very good spelling but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Ive stolen dom
I've stolen dom
I've stolen Dom
I've stolen him
so he wont be commin'
to summer spinnin.

but the sheffield posse will be happy

Kamamember
19 posts

Posted:
Is London summer spinning happening this week?

THE UNITED CHAINS OF FIREmember
192 posts

Posted:
yes, summer spinning is on every week on sundays...

lolli....how is the land of oz and have you got me a pressie yet? (lol)
My results were:
maths pure1: U
maths Stats1: D
IT: (D most likely...long story but my coursework wasnt submitted so i couldnt get a mark for it!)
Physics: D
German: D

so all in all ive only failed one maths module which i can retake but i knew from the very start that i was going ot fail it!

read9ing was amazing! it was nice to see everyones favourite dark fairy queen...dark fairy queen! as well as bovril monkey...nice to meet you
There were seriously so many spinners at reading...wow! (not particularly good mind you..but we were all bad once!)

whilst i was there i had a little accident...i was very stoned and decided to spin a fire staff...yes..it was alight.....anyway..i was doing a shot gun and it went out of control and one of the ends span round a full pelt and twatted me one right in the mouth making me split both my lips and somehow rip a huge chunk of skin outta my chin...ouch..it did hurt indeed! so i went to teh first aid tent and they sorted me out!

I played the best ever trick on a fire chainer at reading....it was late one night and i had just come out of the main arena and spotted some spinners...so i went up to one of them and asked if i could have a go as "Ive never done it before"..he advised me to take poff my hoddie as "you will hit yourself a lot"...so i event ually did...i started off spinning them in time by my sides and said "so what do i do now then?"
first trick he 'showed' me was the chase...halfway through i turned to him and said.."hang on...do i do it like this?" i then procedeed to beat out a 7 beat weave in to fountain into double leg wraps into behind the back 3 beat (you get the picture).,.....when he saw this..[ i will always remember the look on his face...a mixture of shock, horror, awe and amazement rolled into one!) his face just went "uh!"

anyway..i think thats long enough to have wasted your time...so i will be leaving out of the back exit located next to the green nun-chucking (yes...it is throwing nuns around) hamster

I don't dance. I move to music - Some dumb schmuck, Blue Peter 16/9/02-------------------This morning, I sat on the TV and I watched the Sofa

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
belated bump!
Weather looks good for tomorrow, so come down to the common! Ya know ya wanna!

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
A spinner played that 'I have never played poi before trick on me' in Thailand. I lent him my poi and showed him basics. He then walked off a little with them,and did a few spins before launching into what was obviously v. practiced poi moves. Then he ran off through the crowds with my poi. I could not run after him as my ankle was bandaged at the time after twisting it walking home in the dark one night and lost a really nice set of practice poi.

I hope the other spinners enjoyed the trick you played on them and that you did not merely walk off chortling to yourself at their stupidity. My experience certainly put me off spending my time and lending my gear to strangers interested in poi.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

poi_son2_somemember
1 post

Posted:
UCF what a twat

192 posts

Posted:
pardon?!?!?!
I DID NOT STEAL HIS FIRE CHAINS!!
WE BOTH SAW IT IN A GOOD WAY...SO WHY AM I A TWAT?
COS I SAY SOMEONE IS SHIT?? IM HONEST WITH EVERYONE..ASK SOMEONE WHO KNOWS ME..AND THERE ARE MORE THAN ENOUGH OF THEM ON HERE..

I ADMITTED IT THAT AT ONE POINT I WAS UTTER SHIT..IM A LOT BETTER NOW...(THEN AGAIN PEOPLE LIKE DOM AND GLASS (AMONST OTHERS) PROBABLY THINK IM SHIT AS I CANT DO EVEN HALF OF THE STUFF THEY DO...AN 8-BEAT PARALLEL WEAVE FOR EXAMPLE)

SO IN THE FUTURE..DONT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT SOMEONE YOU HAVE NEVER MET

I don't dance. I move to music - Some dumb schmuck, Blue Peter 16/9/02-------------------This morning, I sat on the TV and I watched the Sofa

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Just so it is clear - It was NOT UCF who stole my poi. It was a bad experience I had with some gobshite.

I'm sure that United Chains of Fire was just having a laugh. Just pointing out that if someone has a trick like that played on them they might be reluctant to share their toys again.

Hope that clears up the misunderstanding.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

192 posts

Posted:
we both did see it in a funny light! just to show him that there were no hard feelings i showed him how to do the quadruple corkscrew...i know he was fine with it as we joked about it afterwards..so there

;-p (argh!)

Page: ...