Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > London - Summer Spinnin' - Now Every Sunday!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Summer Spinnin'
Sunday chillin and spinnin in the sunshine
Every Sunday
Clapham Common

4pm until afterdark
Contact number for Dom: 07971 698454

After the beautiful success of PiP5 we're delighted to help keep the energy flowing through into the future. With regular events we hope more people can benefit from gatherings of kindred spirits. PiP has returned home to the North where they spin come rain or snow or shine! So, please welcome - Summer Spinnin'

If your can please bring your friends for chatting, toys for playing, blankets for sitting, cakes for eating, something for music & beats, and fire! These days are what you make of them, so bring what you expect to find.

Where exactly? Just a few paces west of the bandstand at the centre of the common is a lovely area where curvy ground, trees and bushes will shelter you from the rest of the world while letting you have enough room to play. Here's a map. Nearest tube is Clapham Common, and Clapham Junction train station is only a short stroll away.

Why Clapham Common? Because lots of people live nearby Also it's near central London, is very easy to get to, isn't too big to get lost in, has a lovely area for us, and it isn't a proper park, so the rules are not so strict.

Wasn't this every fortnight? Yes, it was, but this is proving popular and I'm hoping that as a weekly event people who were busy on the previous dates will be able to attend. This is also now the only organised, late night fire spinning session in London.

Why Sunday? Because on Saturday people tend to be busier. What's better than finishing a weekend off by relaxing in the park!

For more information email myself or Glass, depending upon whether you prefer blondes or brunnettes

There are also plans and ideas for a larger event of the summer, but you'll have to wait to see what becomes of that.

Sunshine and smiles to all
Dom

---------
Summer spinnin' had me a blast.
Summer spinnin' happened so fast.
Summer days spinnin' away to those summer nights....

[ 06 August 2002, 03:49: Message edited by: Dom ]

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Out of curiosity, does anyone have an idea as to how long the Summer Spinnin' is going to be going on for, since it's obviously not going to be summer forever.

The reason I ask is that I've been meaning to turn up to one of them, but I've been otherwise engaged for the last few.
In August, I'll be starting the Apex intermediate course I'm sure everyone's seen advertised here, which will finish at 7, giving me a bit of time to make my way down to Clapham for some more spinning if I'm not too knackered.
I was just wondering how many chances I'll have left.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
There's still 4 planned left. Check page 1 for details.

Many thanks and hellos to everyone who came along despite the clouds dominating the skies yet again! Lovely time!

I seem to have acquired an extra set of fire poi, so if you left your fire poi lying about in a plastic bag, then let me know.

See you all soon!

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I am so pleased with yesterday! Much fun was had! Must go next time...
My other half will be in town so I'll drag him with me...
I hate calling him 'bf' I'd rather people know his name...

Anyway see you guys next time...

Dom must get music organized... I will see what I can do... I might be able to bring a small boom box but it would take again D batteries which I can bring some but dont know how many... I'll keep you posted...

Should I bring parrafin to the next one although I have no fire toys??? I feel for those who always bring and share...
See yas later,
Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
Hey Monkey!

That's great that you're doing the intermediate course - I'm doing it now and it's brilliant. I'm thinking of repeating it, there's so much to learn, so maybe I'll see you there.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
erm randon thoughts of spending a nice warm summers day in the park with dom! urgh *sad face*
anyway hey dom hows things going down there in sunny london? sounds like the summer spinning thingy is going good, maybe have to make it down before the summers out if spenditure is to my advantage, well soon be out of the shite.
well off to check the rest of the board now.
laters

Markusmember
18 posts

Posted:
Hey Dom

Love the idea would love to attend if poss....

When are you having the nxt event would it be on the 4th of aug?

if not is the 1st of sept still going ahead?

May your heart be your guide and your love your light....

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yep, next is on the 4th. Dates on page 1 are still right. See you there!

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Right, I'm going to try to get to Clapham for the 18 of August. I'll probably even try to take the 19th off work too, so I can stay later than about 9pm. I wouldn't want to make the effort to get there just to have to leave before it's dark enough to spin fire properly.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

ellieBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone

I had a fabolishous time last Sunday, good to chat to people and play with the fnky astrojax - the advertising worked, I bought some this week!

Lolli - I can't find your email address - could you let me know what it is please babe.

Just wondering and hoping and praying if someone happened to find my ring when y'all left? It's little and silver and ring shaped! It seems to have slipped on off when gathering together my things. But it was dark and the grass was long so I'd be suprised if it were found - but if by any remote chance it was could you let me know?

Ta and hope to see ppl again soon
e*

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
ellie, I haven't heard that anyone found it, sorry! I'll wander through the area later to see if I can spot it, but it seems unlikely.

I do have: a pair of sunglasses, a set of fire poi and one baby's sandal (but I know who's this is tho!)

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Hey Ellie. it was kewl catching up with you again. can you make the next one? Sorry i didn't see the ring, Justine didn't either, and she did a quick sweep of the area with a torch before we left.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

ellieBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
Ta for looking, Don't expected it to be found but it was worth asking

Good to see you 2 Alice - R U on email? Can't make the next one unfortunately but I'll be thinking of y'all.

sunshine smile
e*

lollipurple penguin- soon to be
478 posts
Location: playing with the pixies at the arsse end of the mi...

Posted:
yaay sunday was very lovelyjub and definetly made up for having to go to work

ellie! it was so good to see you again. my email is lolli_poi@hotmail.com. though im going away in a week so i might not be online too much *hugs*

bambam- thank you so much for all your patience and fluffy teaching i hope the performance on friday went ok, let me know

dom- i hope your enjoying the bubbles grrrrr teehee ive brought some more so tis all good

drew and kelly *all hail*, just remaind me NOT to miss the last train arugh

and to everyone whos not going to thingy on tuesday. . . byeeeeeeeeee i shall see you sept the 1st when im back from australia. ive really enjoyed all the c.common sessions ive been to and have been in awe to meet such amazing, fluffy though totally insane people. love you all

hugs, fluff and superteds y-fronts
lolli xxx

My spelling wobbles. its very good spelling but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
ellie, no joy I'm afraid They'd cut the grass as well, which made it even more unlikely. Need a metal detector we do!

ellieBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
Ok Dom, Ta muchly for looking tho - I'm V grateful, you're a Star*

See y'all soon
e*

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
*bump*
With there being no Thursday anymore, and no other regular fire ready event, how about we make the Clapham Common meets weekly?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
*bump*
Weather looks, errr, dodgy. But we'll see how it is on the day. It's been cloudy most of the weeks, and it's still great fun.

So see you there!

If you can't make this week, come next week!

THE UNITED CHAINS OF FIREmember
192 posts

Posted:
aaaahhhhhhh.......but do you not remember from an earlier discussion....god loves poi! so i will announce on his behalf that sunday with be mainly sunny, around 26.83753 degrees centigrade with the occasion downpour of nutella filled crepes, arriving on a warm front from cassandras general direction.
Then again, it might rain

I don't dance. I move to music - Some dumb schmuck, Blue Peter 16/9/02-------------------This morning, I sat on the TV and I watched the Sofa

touchBRONZE Member
61 posts

Posted:
Its raining!
Are people still gonna go play poi?

"Music is my mother...and my father...it is my work and my rest...my blood...my compass...my love" Jeff Buckley.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
yes
but first I'm going to make a CD for you.

touchBRONZE Member
61 posts

Posted:
Thunderbolts and lightening, very, very frightening me..!
Thanx glass! (remember the more cheezy the music the better!)
Me gonna try to brave the great outdoors, and come play, but I don't wanna get my hair wet!

"Music is my mother...and my father...it is my work and my rest...my blood...my compass...my love" Jeff Buckley.

woodymember
99 posts

Posted:
Well, I didn't rain while I was there :-)

You can't live in England and be scared of a little rain.

Thanks Dom for another excellent afternoon. Pics and a few low framerate videos are here:

Poi in the Park

Luv and Lemons.WoodyMrs Jaypher said, 'It's saferIf you've lemons in your head;First to eat, a pound of meat,And then to go at once to bed.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Thanks to the brave, water proof poi people who all turned up for a lovely afternoon!

Woody, you missed the monsoon style downpour, it was quite impressive! That bandstand makes a good shelter! Thanks, I think, for the pics and video. I'd no idea I'd been filmed. I've never actually watched myself spin before, and it's weird, espically as frame rate cuts it up funkily! Can't you turn the microphone off and get more minutes for your memory? Must get my hands on a digital camera and see what moves look like when I'm doing them. Ta!

Thanks all! In order to get more spinning into our summer we're now going to see how Sundays fair as a weekly event. So see you there next sunday!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
Hay, had a brilliant time as usual!
i cant make next sunday but will make the one after.
See you all soon after my holiday. i shall bring back some lovely chocolate thinggys from France to share out
Love
Alice
xXxXxX

woodymember
99 posts

Posted:
Unfortunaly there is no option to turn off the mic on my camera (short of gaffa or me holding my finger over it). And a lack of *nix video editing tools is kind of stopping me doing anything clever with the videos at present...

As far as I can remeber there is nothing wrong with my memory :-P I have, so far, found it hard to hold a camera steady and spin steel wool at the same time.... ;-)
I think a steady hand would be a better initial investment than more memory...

Luv and Lemons.WoodyMrs Jaypher said, 'It's saferIf you've lemons in your head;First to eat, a pound of meat,And then to go at once to bed.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
*bump*
Will we be spinning under our umbrellas again, or will it be lovely and sunny?! Find out this Sunday, at Clapham Common!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
Hi i'm back from S.France....had a good time, amazed the locals at a Fete whilst doing some poi.

Did i miss much on the 11th?

I brought back some choccie for people to have on sunday. Who is coming on sunday?

Love
Alice
xxxxxxx

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'll be turning up some time after 7 on sunday, hopefully with a couple of friends who I've converted to the cause too

This'll be the first time since PIP I've managed to get there and I'll be able to spin my poi this time, as opposed to only just manage to spin my staff with one hand.

THE UNITED CHAINS OF FIREmember
192 posts

Posted:
To be completely honest, pink poi (and excuse me if i sound pissed off...ive got my as level results tomorrow and im shitting it!) last sunday; there was (almost) no-one there; only about 15 of us in total over the 8 (3 until 11pm) stint!
I mean come on guys!
Its really nice to see all the regulars there (cam, matt black, simon, dave, dom, emily, tom+ girlfriend (sorry! forgotten your name!), me, alice, justine (sorry if ive forgotten anyone else) but it would be nice to some others there!

I suppose i do have very high standards as i was there at the first one where over 100 people turned up, and yes, i know that 100 people cant turn up everyweek, but it would be nice to see a giant purple elephant spinning poi whilst doing a hand stand at the north pole..erm..sory..dont know how that got there...i meant it would be nice to se some people who dont often turn up,

its fair enough if you cant physically make it ie your at work or such like but theres no excuse if you actually live in london...i must be one of the people furthest away (except micheal who is kind enough to come from kent ;-) ) from clapham common (i live in harrow (very very north west london) and i turn up to every pip and spittlefields meeting unless in not even vaguely in the area, take 3 weks ago..i couldnt make either as i was looking after 12 screaming kids on a scout camp....in kent) so obviously i couldnt get there!

im sorry if this pisses you off with its tone...im seriously getting stressed with my results and IM NOT BLAMING SPECIFIC PEOPLE...YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

in advance i wont be there in 2 sundays time (including the tuesday- probably) as i will be off my tits at the reading festival...but i shall be with you in spirit!)

I will however see you all this sunday and tuesday ! hope to see some more of you there

afternote: thanks bovril monkey i have seen your post and i appreciate it greatly!

I don't dance. I move to music - Some dumb schmuck, Blue Peter 16/9/02-------------------This morning, I sat on the TV and I watched the Sofa

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Chill out man, hope the results were ok.

The thing with these gatherings is that you don't have to go. As these things are weekly people turn up whenever they can and feel like it. There is more to most people's lives than spinning, I forget the specifics but I hear rumour. Also the pathetic weather every weekend this summer doesn't help draw people down.

I'm happy if anyone turns up. In the last 2 weeks of very, very poor weather and low turn out we've had 5/6 new people along, which is really cool.

This Sunday the weather man has tentatively promised sunshine and heat, which will make for a lovely day and evening. So hopefully we'll be back at our grassy spot and lots of spinners will feel the desire to improve their tans. So see whomever turns up there!

Warm weather, picnic blankets, lovely people. I've a desire for Pimms in the Park!

Page: