Page: ...
Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Alright, a number of us have met in Toronto a couple of times now in Christie Pits park, and are going to be meeting on a semi-regular basis. Eariler tonight we thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for GTA spinners, where we can post meeting locations and times, and others can post to say if they'll be available, etc.

and...well, this is it. Enjoy, all.

PS. When did we decide we'd be getting together next? I wasn't paying too much attention I'm afraid...

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
wow is this thread picking up. I had a blast on monday. Thank you everyone. Spacey, would love to learn some of your moves. Paddy, gonna miss ya sunday.
Let's meet at 8pm at Christie on Sunday. I'll bring a CD player. For new people, go to Christie subway, walk across Christie street, down the hill and there is a gazebo/shelter surrounded by picnic tables.
We chose Christie because it is on the subway line and there is the gazebo in case of rain. Also, because of the pit, cops can't see the fire if they are just driving by. We are open to other suggestions. The last three weekends it's just been us there. Of course, it's been freezing. It's quite safe. Christie pits isn't as bad as it used to be.

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Christy Park isn't so bad, if worse comes to worse, we have lots of hard things on strings to wack people with I'm not sure if i'm in for this Sunday, I might have to work.

So I made some new poi with super fun tennis balls and stuff and cheetah print handles and so on, but I cant wrap them very well...i've never really spun anything that wasn't stick like (glowstick, lightstick...) maybe my chains are too long. I'll have to play around with it. Either that or i'm going to become very fustrated in the next week and go down to the US for some lightwands.

Hope to see you guys sunday, if not have tons of fun!!!

Luv,
*Space*

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Oh! and who all is planning on going to OM? My boys are trying to convince me to take the time off work, and I know one of the guys who's spinning so I was considering it...

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
man.... well, i don't get to see you guys any time soon. planned road trip has been aborted due to lack of vehicle......

*sighs*

glad u guys is havin fun...

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

884 posts

Posted:
I've sent the pictures to Lindsay...hopefully she'll be able to find a way to get them around.

I'm really sorry I've had so little time to get them up. Once I get back I'll have oodles of time to put up a proper poi page, as well as the pictures.

Also, I have a job interview tomrrow before I leave...if I get the job, I can quit the ol' garden center and I'll be working a regular workweek, at which point I can go to OM. Will let you all know as soon as possible.

Have a good week all.

opiamember
9 posts

Posted:
Hello All!

Great to see there's other poi spinners out there in t.o.!
First of all, I will see you all at Christie Pits this sunday along with MissAstroFunk..

Secondly, I have been making my own poi lately to sell to the poi community and people just getting into it all. I have beautiful colours imported from the UK and hopefully will have about 5 or more to sell for approx. 10-15$ ea. at the poi meet this sunday. So if anyone's interested, bring some cashola!

Also, if you haven't already heard, FieryFlow and myself will be having a theme camp at the Om Festival this year (sorry if I'm repeating this i havent' read ALL posts!) and I will also be selling all kinds of poi there too. Just look for the crazy fluoro backdrops and deco around our theme camp and you'll know you're there!

I will also be doing the same at Natura Festival the last weekend of July in Invernesse, quebec. It's a 3 day all goa/psytrance music festival. If anyone's interested, check out ektoplazm.com and go to the message board forum for "gatherings".

Anyhew, see you guys at Christie Pits this sunday!!

peace&cheers,ra :)

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
look forward to meeting ya on sunday, opia and miss astro funk.
paddy, thanks for the hot chocolate and good luck at the job interview and camp.
kyrian, sorry you can't make it.
sunspot, thanks for bringing the fireworks on monday.
MDW, I got some great pictures of you. Will bring them on sunday.
Space , Karen, Sunspot and I are going to om fest, Paddy is going to try. not sure about others.

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Hey guys,
So i'm getting pretty fustrated. I'm trying to make my own fireheads, but I can't find any Kevlar. I'm looked everywhere in KW and nothing. I'm going to be in TO at some point this weekend, so does anyone know of anywhere in TO I can get some???

Mass Destruction Worldwidemember
83 posts

Posted:
Whats up Space!!
Im pretty sure Linda mentioned a place in T.O that she got her kevlar, so best bet...ask her! I think it was something like Ben Magic...ummm something. I dont know for sure. But I do believe there is a place in T.O!!

See ya on Sunday guys!!

educate yourself - knowledge is power

MissAstrofunkloveBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
Ok cool, I am at my friend shawn's this fine sunday morning. Resitor was......NIIIIIIIIIce! I ran into ALLEN who i met at last sundays resistor(annolog Pussy) . I can't belive the group he was telling me about (spinning poi) is YOU GUYS!! small world toronto POI! ;o)

Meeting you soon....

*huggzz*
B.

....dance like nobodieswatching.... oh no wait, I'm not watching! My eyes are shut *crash* hehe oops sorry did I bump into you? *blush*

opiamember
9 posts

Posted:
It was really nice meeting most of you tonight I was looking forward to this as soon as I heard there were "others"
I had a great time spinning the sparkler poi! I so wanna go and make my own now!!

See you guys next time!

peace&cheers,ra :)

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
Regarding going to the Om festival..

For a juggler/spinner to even consider *not* going to an outdoor festival is just insane..

Come, it'll be SOOOOO much fun!! Outdoor parties + poi is a magical combination, and I can guarantee (don't know how developed the community is there) that I'll have at least 1 move to teach you, if not more.

Poi in a park across from Christie would be nice, poi in a forest deep inside ontario, with lovely music and loads of nice people is even better!

And if you've not yet tried poi on acid or mushrooms.. hmmm.. just come, you won't regret it. I promise.

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
Hey all,
Just put my pictures in the photo gallery here, check them out under linda. Paddy, Sunspot and MDW you're all there.
Had a blast last night! Space thanks for the tidbits, and the balloon animals were great. Opia thanks so much for the goa trance music, sorry you missed the fire.
Sunspot, what happened to you!!?? We missed ya. Paddy, there were a bunch of times we said "Oh Paddy knows how to do that". Missed ya too. We finally managed to light the stupid, sparklers with the smaller sparklers. Looked cool.
Next Toronto gathering. Next Saturday, 8pm, June 1, Christie. Come out and play.

83 posts

Posted:
So great Linda....glad to see some of the pics are up! Had a blast last night!!
Space...kicken ass with the balloon zoo! *ahem, I mean flowers and dogs* haha
Opia...thanx for the mixes, Im listening to one right now!

Hmm...Fiery Flow....poi on mushie mushie u say....
Brilliant idea...(however, without the fire...flames and zoomers would lead to very bad things....like my death* heh

Hope to see you all next week!!!
Cheers!

*cheesy emoticons*

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
MDW,

Coincidentally, there's a thread on this exact subject (the effects of drugs on your swinging) in the discussion forum.

click here to read it.

My least favorite is alchohol

[ 29 May 2002, 01:21: Message edited by: FieryFlow ]

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Nice Pics Linda

I couldn't make it on Sunday..I wasn't feeling super great...I think i had food poisoning..Note to everyone: Don't eat from the AIDA's near my house! But no woreez I'm all better now...and I"ll see everyone on Saturday. I'll probably be there around 7:30 if any one is thinking about showing up ealier.

Balloon Animails...my curosity is sparked...what are they Space?

Anyways see everyone soon, Lindsay

Om Namah Sivaya

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Balloon Animals are just that. Animals made from balloons. Animals and flowers.

And regretfully I wont be seeing you guys this weekend. Apparently being responsible and making money is the 'right' thing to do. Sigh.

But on a lighter note, the pictures look absolutely wonderful Linda! Good work! I still cant get over how amazing that one of Paddy and the firecracker looks! Awesome!

Well kids, i'm off to find a rave for June the 8th cuz my bday's on the 9th and I wanna go to a rave! It's been too long!!! Anyone else interested in coming??? Lemme know.

Cheers,
*Space*

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Eh! There's a Purple Heaven on Saturday June 8th. Heaven on Earth. $25 in advance. Let me know if you want tickets ASAP and i'll take care of it!

Remember how you used to smile, and laugh, and nothing else mattered quite as much as that moment? No, i'm not asking, i'm telling you. Remember it...Now live it.

Dream good dreams,
*Space*

83 posts

Posted:
Hey Space...Id definately be up for some rave action. Think we were discussing this on the weekend, how we hadnt been to any raves for a super long time!

Saturday, June 8th u say...sounds like it could be a brilliant plan! *Ill have to make a new crazy outfit* Heh!

Sunspot, glad to hear your feeling better!! Hope to see u Saturday!
FieryFlow, thanx for the tid bit on narcotics and poi!

Space...ah, hell, Im just gonna email ya.

Cheers!

83 posts

Posted:
Nevermind...Space, your email addy doesnt wanna present itself to me...maybe u'll have to email me!

stupid computers.

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
MDW, I dont even know where to FIND your email! Try me at spacey_stacey15@hotmail.com

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
Kay, today is my last day at work in London, and 2 weeks till I step onto a plane in Heathrow and step out at Pearson..

I'm not gonna have easy access to computers (unless BT stops screwing me at home), so I wanted to confirm.. I'll be in High Park on the 15th of June, near enough to the entrance near the station that you can see me. I'm going to aim to arrive at around 4pm, and I'll try to bring keroscene and my toys, but I definitely won't have time to get my parent's fire-extinguisher, do you guys bother with that?

Anyhoo.. Can't wait to see you all!

Davy

154 posts

Posted:
Davy-(poi in the park - Sat.June 15)
Why don't we all go to the bbq on wards Island (centre Island area) instaed of High Park?? There will be music and food(well we'll have to bring our own, like a pot luck bbq/picknic). Rashelle is going already anyway and it looks like a great way to spend the day!! So how's bout it??

AS for Sat. June 1 - I'm going to come to Christy pits early too! SO glad to be in much better shape this time than I was last Sunday!! hehe
I wish I could have stayed longer but my body was totaly out of commision. See you guys soon!
*huggzz*
B.

....dance like nobodieswatching.... oh no wait, I'm not watching! My eyes are shut *crash* hehe oops sorry did I bump into you? *blush*

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Could someone bring a cellphone so I can call and find out where you guys are on the 15th (like where in high park or center island)...I won't be able to be there until about 7:30-45. But I'm down for going wherever.

I'm unsure about the party...let me consult my bank card first and see how he feels about it, he's a little stressed out right now and I don't want him to have nervous breakdown or anything ...we're really close ya know??

See everyone tomorrow, Lindsay

Om Namah Sivaya

154 posts

Posted:
i'll have mine

ummm.... i'll have to email the number to you....no, I'll just tell you tomorrow night!
silly me!

*huggzz*
B.

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Hey Guys! What's going on June 15th? It it an exclusive sort of deal, or is everyone going? Details? I'll miss you guys tomorrow! I finally made my fire set! I spun 4 times thus far (since yesterday ) One quick question though. I did E tonight, and found I couldn't handle the weight of the fire poi!!! Has anyone else had this problem? It may be that I had already spun for 2 hours and my arms were just exhausted...

Smiles and Hugs!
*Space*

884 posts

Posted:
Hey hey, I'm back!

From what I can tell from these posts, there is a meet tonight (saturday)...I'm just writing this to confirm. I'm assuming CP park, at about 7:30?

Also, I got my new job, which is a regular mon-fri 9-5 position, so I should be good for Om as well! Consider me 85% certain!

See you folks tonight.

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
Hey Paddy,
welcome back. 7:30pm, Christie tonight. We'll see ya there. I put a couple pictures in the photo album here, under "linda". Then check out the ones under "nataraj", they're awesome.

884 posts

Posted:
Hey all,

Last night was great...I've already learned some rudimentary HTML and will post the pics as soon as possible...sometime this week for certain. Sorry for the delay.

Also, I was thinking someone should start a thread in this section about the Om festival...I'd do it but I don't know too much about it. Anyways, I just thought a thread for it would keep things tidier when it gets nearer to the day of the event and the "who's going/who's not/how are you getting there" type posts start springing up.

884 posts

Posted:
Sup folks,

Alright, the Toronto Poi website is up and kickin' and you can check it out here. Hopefully this time it looks enough like a real site that they won't take it down.

The site has a zip file with all the may24 pics. The pics from last saturday wouldn't fit as well so I'll have to alternate which ones are available.

I've got some randoms pics on the site as well, and I'll post them in my HoP folder too.

Enjoy!
Paddy

Page: ...