Page: ...
Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Alright, a number of us have met in Toronto a couple of times now in Christie Pits park, and are going to be meeting on a semi-regular basis. Eariler tonight we thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for GTA spinners, where we can post meeting locations and times, and others can post to say if they'll be available, etc.

and...well, this is it. Enjoy, all.

PS. When did we decide we'd be getting together next? I wasn't paying too much attention I'm afraid...

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
Did anyone know FieryFlow is really an elf in disguise?

I've seen the revealing pics myself!!!!

On a side note, I'm so happy to see an active Canadian thread for poi spinners! Now if I can just find some Ottawa spinners for when I'm back...

FieryFlow, I might be holding up the fort by myself in Ottawa... we'll have to bring some of your talent around once in a while, have a London nutters spinathon or something... yeah.

Stay cool people... love that beautiful country across the ocean!!!

DTKB aka Canadian in disguise under a London address.

DTKB

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breath away.

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
Shhhhhhh!!! Its a lie! I'm no elf, I'm human just like youuuuuuu!!
hehehe

Okay, so on a less serious note, to all those poi spinners in the TO area, there's gonna be an outdoor party this saturday that should be appropriate for fire-spinnin

I'll be d.j.ing as DJ Malfoy

------------------------------------------------

On Saturday April 5th, the Freespace Collective (A proud member of the Freetekno Toronto Coalition) is finally unveiling the project that we've been working on all winter. Our Yurt!

The idea behind the yurt was to create a large, warm, mobile structure that would allow us to reclaim public land (outdoor land, parks, etc..) during the winter. The completion of this yurt is allowing us to avoid clubs and corporate venues all year round, while providing a warm, asbestos free, and mostly legal environment in witch to host our gatherings.

And for this gathering, we present for your amusement, everything our scene says it stands for. Traditional technology meets modern materials. Synths and drum machines meet tribal rhythms. Backlight deco and a DIY attitude. So, we hope you'll come down and have a great time.

Lineup:

Kinetix (Goa, psy trance)
Pharmakon (Psy Trance)
Subsonic Chronic (Psy trance)
Zero (Psy Trance)
Basilisk (Goa)
DJ Malfoy (Psytrance + Downtempo chill stuff)
Siren (Ambient)
Synder (Downtempo)

Location: Broadview Station, look for the guy with the green bandana..

Cost: FREE AS ALWAYS!

*NOTES*

Please remember that, unlike a club or some dirty old warehouse, our parks and forests do not clean themselves up. So, please don't bring any glass bottles, if you must, use cans or plastic bottles. And please
clean up after yourself.

Also, be aware that we will be manning a booth selling water, and tea. If you want free water, then please bring your own (or convince us that you have no money, and if you don’t get some water you will DIE). Please take any questions about Freespace, the Freetekno scene, or safety concerns or emergencies to report, please talk to the person manning this booth.

For more info about the Freespace Collective, please click on: https://members.rogers.com/freeteknotoronto/freespace/index.html

For more info on Freetekno Toronto, please click on: www.freetekno.toronto.on.ca

[ 04. April 2003, 04:52: Message edited by: FieryFlow ]

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
wow, Fiery Flow, the yurt sounds awesome. We missed you on tuesday! Probably going to the Toronto Tam Tam (www.geocities.com/gold-drum) on saturday, but would love to swing by later.
Chrystel, i left the lake because of a return ticket and a job i had to get back to. It wasn't easy. I'll send you Megu's address. Returning to do fire in the park was awesome. Three new people lit up for the first time. (Kali, Dawn and Phil). The cops even showed up, just like old times. Good luck with your tuesdays!
DTKB, Paddy, an amazing fire spinner and one of the world's nicest guys, is in Kingston until University finishes. I think he's started a weekly poi thing and Kingston isn't too far from Ottawa.

MissAstrofunkloveBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
hi all

hehe LINDA i think ottawa is still a few hours away from kingston.

That freespace/tekno Yurt party has been canceled due to the icy conditions BUT will be back on May 3.

congrats to K,D&P for thier fire cherry pop spin in the park!! Everyone was awsome!

And wasn't it nice for the police to wait until Davy started his firespin, to show up -missed ya this tues D!

CHRYSTEL I hope your tues spin in the park is succesful in drawing out fellow spin mates!!!

I think this comming tues.(april8th) we will have to be indoors still BUT I don't see why people can't spin fire out side of the building!?!

Love, Hugz and bonvoage to Phil who is moving to Montreal on sunday...WE'LL MISS YOU!!!

Bethany

....dance like nobodieswatching.... oh no wait, I'm not watching! My eyes are shut *crash* hehe oops sorry did I bump into you? *blush*

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
linda, yes Kingston is a little far from Ottawa... but fear not, it means we will have a wider spread network of spinners!

I like to spin at my cottage where there's NO POLICE and lots of space and stars ... and clean air... and ... oooh... I love Canada...

I have a feeling I'll be going to TO a fair bit... but I also know of a few spinners in Ottawa that are awaiting regular spin nights.. and don't forget that Ottawa is full of green space and I'll bet we can get some good outdoor fire events there.

I can't wait to meet all you Toronto coolio's!!

DTKB

DTKB

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breath away.

Xirtammember
37 posts

Posted:
Hi all! Toronto peoples! I'm overly excited now! ok...I haven't actually done any spinning yet but I SSOOOOOO want to learn! Any info would be hugely appreciated! like is there anywhere in TO I can pick up equipment or should I swipe the SO's card and shop here? And does anyone give lessons? I learn better that way. Technically, I'm in Mississauga.
Xirtam

And Daddy! They took my boot!

Hi my pants are on firemember
26 posts

Posted:
YO YO : really? next meeting indoors??
Miss astro funk: those are the bright ideas that get people in trouble,but hey, I wont complain ,I just invited some drummers for when ever we go to the park...soon please stupid wether!!!! cristal starrrrrr I love you , come back soon so next meeting indoors???? and hello and bye to all my pyro homies

154 posts

Posted:
woa toronto peeps wake up!!!! It's SPRING
I walked on grass and dirt and leaves in bare feet today and it's was wonderfull! I was so suprised how warm and soft the ground was considering the icy/snow weather we had last week!!

Looks like the weather has taken a swing to the hot side it's going up to 80f this week!!!

Xirtam (welcome)- that's a good question uhhh Last week i would have said for sure @ u of t Gilbraith (or gilbrath??) building on st. george st. n of collage.
BUT
With the weather sooooo nice perhaps Trinity Bellwoods Park (west of Bathurst on Queen)
??????????????
I know for sure it will be on TUESDAY 8:30pm->

I also Know HMPAOF is itching for the park..hey please bring my can with you this week if you can no matter where we end up? -thanks!

Bethany

....dance like nobodieswatching.... oh no wait, I'm not watching! My eyes are shut *crash* hehe oops sorry did I bump into you? *blush*

154 posts

Posted:
just incase people don't read the toronto events thread i'll post this here too...

COMING EVENTS for APRIL /03

- With the weather so warm, today's (tuesday april 15) gathering practis will be a poi in the PARK! TrinityBellwoods park is on Queen St. west of Bathurst. Come anytime but most people start arriving 8:30pm->

- This Saturday (19th) is the anti war party in Trinity Bellwoods, Should be an EXCELLENT chance to spin to loud music in the outdoors.

OHMS NOT BOMBS:::RESISTANCE TO WAR THROUGH MUSIC APRIL.19.2003:::TRINITY-BELLWOODS PARK:::NOON-10:00PM

ATP - Nu-Energy/UK Hard House
Dj Kink - Nu-Energy/UK Hard House
Dj Tyco - Happy Hardcore
D-Syfa - Jungle
Engine - Hard Techno
Gryphon - House
Jezbone - Hard Techno
Justin Tyce - House
Kenfinch.ca - Hard House
Lady Bass - Hard House
MC E.N.D. - Hardcore Vocals
MC Lucid - Jungle Styleez
Plastic Motive - Old School Breakbeat
Psyklone - Happy Hardcore
Quivering Virgin - Goa
Steve Yanko - House
Yeb - Goa
Telefunk Sound System - Live Breakbeat
+ more to come

- In addition, there's a Resistor party at the Reverb (Queen and Bathurst) on the 26th where Davy will be teaching workshops along with some of the other poi peeps.

chrystel starrmember
30 posts

Posted:
Konichiwa!

Oh, it sounds like the real fun has begun! Wish I was there.HMPAOF te amo tam bien. But I wont be back to visit toronto for a while until the end of august! (will you still be in toronto?)

I will see you all in the park. I miss the friendly toronto police

Last night was our first Hitachi Japan Poi Night!

And there were actually 8 people (for a town of 150 000 thats pretty good) Two peeps who actually know a trick or two. It was fun. Unfortunetly fire only lasted for 60 seconds before security showed up. And everywhere in Japan is too bright with street lamps. But... poi was had by all.

I miss all of you and I cant wait to play!
Linda I am going to meet up with megu. Bethanny do you wanna drive to florida in October? Fireyflow, I felt like you last night taking seven sets of poi and a big bag of toys to the poi night! I hope you are havin a blast!

Hugs to everyone

flamesssss
chrystel

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
Hi Chrystel!

Thats so awesome that you got 8 people for your first meet. Thats about what we started with, now you just gotta keep spreading the word and the knowledge and everything else will just take care of itself.

For those going to the Om festival, I've just completed the creation of the new OM Message Board with phpBB and I've created a "Poi and Fire" group for all of you who're intending on going to Om and as well as keeping in touch with people from this festival.

I hope some of you will come and join us..

sprytemember
45 posts

Posted:
Wow This site has really grown since I've been here last.( Almost 2 years ago?) I live near Toronto so please post your next gatherings. Great to see so many active people.

Spryte

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the site has grown a lot.. I like it personally

If you wanna come into town and meet up with us on the weekends, we often gather at clubs and parties to spin poi or glowstix. This weekend though, there's gonna be an outdoor party, so there should be some FIRE!!!

if you wanna see what's going on, come to my message board to find out: https://www.omfestival.com/ommb/viewforum.php?f=6

but otherwise, here's the info on the party this saturday:(I'm d.j.ing as Malfoy)
----------------------------

The weather gods decided to ice us out last month, so here's the rewind....

On Saturday May 3, the Freespace Collective is finally unveiling the project that we've been working on all winter. Our Yurt!

Modeled after a traditional Mongolian nomadic design, the idea behind the yurt was to create a large, warm, mobile structure that would allow us to reclaim public land (outdoor land, parks, etc..) during the winter. The completion of this yurt is allowing us to avoid clubs and corporate venues all year round, while providing a warm, asbestos free, and mostly legal environment in which to host our gatherings.

And for this gathering, we present for your amusement, everything our scene says it stands for. Traditional technology meets modern materials. Synths and drum machines meet tribal rhythms. Backlight deco and a DIY attitude. So, we hope you'll come down and have a great time.

Free CDs, freetekno!

Lineup:
Basilisk (Goa)
Guardian (Psy Trance) - Tribal Harmonix collective, B.C.
Kinetix (Goa, psy trance)
Malfoy (Psytrance + downtempo chill stuff)
Pharmakon (Psy Trance)
Siren (Ambient)
Subsonic Chronic (Psy trance)
Synder (Downtempo)
Zero (Psy Trance)

Map point:
Broadview subway station. 11pm - 1am saturday. Look for signs of the end of the world.

*NOTES*

Please remember that, unlike a club or some dirty old warehouse, our parks and forests do not clean themselves up. So, please don't bring any glass bottles, if you must, use cans or plastic bottles. And please clean up after yourself.

For more information on the freespace collective, check https://freetekno.toronto.on.ca/freespace/

chrystel starrmember
30 posts

Posted:
HEY KIDS!

This weekend there was a street performance festival in my little ol city herrrre in Japan
I saw a neat fire trick, a guy jumping through a hoop of fire dressed up like a lion. Strange. But cooler than that was a guy who attatched wicks to his shoes. Lit them on fire and then did a break dance routine with his flaming feet flying around. An idea i hadn`t thought of before...

Also there was someone using A long rope with a net on each end (donno what was in the net) to spin it around and it could be used like a staff with two hands and then instantly grabbed differently and swung sorta like poi.

Has anyone seen stunts like this before? New toys are always fun to try out. I might go buy some rope and try it out.

Hope spring is bouncy for you all!!!

love and hugs and playfulllllllnesssssss

xoxo
Chrystel

Xirtammember
37 posts

Posted:
Hey! I didn't see stuff like that! Although I did meet a tightrope walker and a bunch of professional wrestlers *sigh* I miss living in Japan, its so much fun. Have you seen a truck that looks like an ice cream truck but is actually selling roasted sweet potatoes? That was my favourite *I don't feel like cooking* meal Hope you are having loads of fun over there!

And Daddy! They took my boot!

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
wow, haven't been here for a while.

Chrystel, congratulations on your poi group. that's wonderful. did you ever get together with megu?

spryte, we generally meet in trinity bellwoods park every tuesday night about 9pm, with a bunch of drummers. It's between queen and dundas, west of bathurst. walk in from queen and go down to the pit. If it's rainy and yucky, we go indoors to U of T.

saw paddy last tuesday at UofT. he's back and he's as awesome as ever. I'm off for Montreal and Seattle until June 10th, so i'll see you all then!

chrystel starrmember
30 posts

Posted:
Alohaaaaa

Hope the spinning season is running on deliciously..

I am having fun over here learning how to say Left, right up down and be careful in Japanese

Its great!!!!!!!! どぇういいうえわぉおお

Linda, I talked to Megu but she took off for somewhere in latin america before we could hook up. Maybe I`ll see her in Ecuador in a few months.

Have fun out there all you beautiful flames

love and twirls
Chrystel

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
bonjour,
what is the toronto thread doing all the way back at page 3?!
I'm finally back, so hope to see everyone tomorrow (tuesday) night at trinity.
Chrystel, nice to hear from you and so happy to hear that you finally have people to play with!!!
Paddy, saw that you got your video in on time and Nick from Vancouver too!!

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
hi fire friends ,

my brother's band Kan'Nal (www.acoustictrance.com) is performing at the Om festival (www.omfestival.com) at 11pm on friday, June 20. This is an INVITATION to all fire freax, poi masters and mistresses, jugglers, stiltwalkers, etc., etc., to come play and dance to some great, live music. Plus they are bringing two fire dancers from texas!

Also, we need volunteers to help hand out a thousand sticks of incense at the beginning of the show.and one thousand candles for the last song, so we can turn the audience into a sea of light. (Bethany & Lindsay, I'm thinking of you!) So, if you like to give stuff away and meet people, meet us at the big stage between 10:30 and 10:45pm. Look for the torches.

Kan'Nal is playing an After-Om Party on Sunday, June 29 (new moon) at the Tequila Lounge, 749 Bathurst at Bloor. (416-536-0346). poi spinners welcome, of course! They will be performing with Yoshi, Intergalactic Fairy Funk and Telefunk. Music starts at 9pm.

One last thing, Thomas, one of the drummers at Trinity Park Tuesday nights, suggested that if it rains on tuesday, we should go wednesday instead. Sounds good to me!

Joulemember
1 post

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by linda:
my brother's band Kan'Nal (www.acoustictrance.com) is performing at the Om festival (www.omfestival.com) at 11pm on friday, June 20.
OH NO!! Our fire troupe (Fire Fabulon) is performing at the same time on the Alchemist Arena stage! That really sucks.. Do you know who the fire spinners from texas are? I know a couple amazing spinners from Austin.

154 posts

Posted:
i am SOOOO X-eye-ted about OM and only 4 days away!
I can't wait to hear and see your bro's band Linda and I'd love to help pass out stuff....I just hope the solstis ritual Dana is doing doesn't over lap (starting around 9) !
Anyway all will be good I know it!

Sending shouts out and happy om vibes to Chrystel! Wishing you were here!

Hey guy's WHERE is PADDY at?? He's been hidding away at home or ? Anyone got the skinny on that front? i miss that guy!

See most of you soon !

4 more sleeps till OM begins!! WHOOOOOHOOOOO!

Bethany

chrystel starrmember
30 posts

Posted:
heeeellllllloooooo anybody out there?

First let me start this letter by sharing my bliss with you lovely people and tell you that after months of weekly Poi nights in Hitachi Japan.... people are geting good. new kids are showing up. One wonderful poiiiier found out about it from this website and showed up... crazy.
Plus last week some kids with a drum showed up... and next week there will be a beach party on the lovely pacific here in little old hitachi, i will put the flyer up on here later just in case any one wants to join the fire show we are gonna do.

And second.... you all suck. Om was weeks ago, and fire nights in the park have gotten to be so much fun that you all have no time to tell all of us who are away how it was.....hmmpf

alll wellll I am left with my imagination and dreams that it was wonderfulllll....

I will see you all late next month....in the park or on the beach....

Ciao
love and flames
chrystel

chrystel starrmember
30 posts

Posted:
oooopppps and i forgot to send more happy vibes and `s to Ms astrofunk..... see ya soon!!!

and lovley helloooossss to all the beautiful people I misss....

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
AGH! what is the toronto thread doing on page 3!!!
Wanted to let you know that I put some new pictures in my HOP photo album . Go to the photo gallery, then page 2, then scroll down to linda.
Chrystel, I'm so impressed, you've started a poi scene in japan! that's soooo awesome and I'm so looking forward to seeing you. your boy is too. He was counting the days, the last time i saw him.
Fire Fabulon, that sooo sucks that our times conflicted . I hope to see you guys perform next year!

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Linda, GREAT PICTURES! How did you get such a nice shot of the Kan'nal stage with no flash?

I should update the pics in my gallery too...

And 'tis good to see this thread afloat! It's been way too long. Who's going tomorrow night? I hear it's going to rain, and it's a long way for me to go if it's going to get rained out...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Very nice pictures Linda. Nice meeting you at one of the Tam Tam's.

cicatrixmember
32 posts

Posted:
hey, I'm not in T.O. anymore, I'm in Montreal, sorry, (I'll probably get kicked out now for admitting that) - but I'm doing a little show here (Montreal) in August, let me know if anyone wants to make a road trip....

'share and enjoy'

154 posts

Posted:
"4"
PAGE 4 People!!!!!!!!!!!
???? ????

Anyy..yyy...yyyyyy....wAAAAAAAAy...

Chrystel lovey starr , I'm so glad your poi group has brought you the happiness you deserve BUT When R you gunna be HERE?? missy?? hehe
Om WAS awsome btw did my now all time fave fire spin then, on the hill with my buds...still smile When I recall drill sargent Paddy "ok, now everyone butterfly....now corkscrew" Then Ozcar "now go crazy"
Ahhhh *sigh*

Wantted to say say hi to the girls who came out to the park a few weeks ago from Montreal(friends of our dear Phill)! It was so nice to meet you ...sorry my name remembering quota has been filled but your awsome vibe is still vivid and I hope we meet again!

On a sad note Ozcar and Dawn are leaving very soon And will be sooooooo much missed! We really should collaberate a group trip down to Mexico for the winter and say HOLA!

Linda cool pic's!! More moremoremore!

Hugz out to all y'all cool peeps!!
Hope(that's my middle name...lit!)fuuuuuuulllly it's sunny/moony and dry tomorrow for trindity bells!!!! *fingers crossed*

B.

[ 12. August 2003, 17:08: Message edited by: MissAstrofunklove ]

chrystel starrmember
30 posts

Posted:
hellllloooooo

miss astrofunkyyyy when will you be home you ask?
hmmmmm.... how would sunday be for you?

I will be flyin into toronto on sunday Aug 17th and heading to cherry beach that afternoon.... anyone have any fire toys I can borrow mine didnt make it accross by plane.....

um ozcar and dawn , you arent leavin before I catch up with you guys are you...

is everyone else who is lovely and shinning aroun on the weekend????

And if there is a group expidition to mexico I would be extremely crushed if you didnt extend it to come visit my place in Ecuador

see you sooonnner than later

love, hugs twirls and flames
Chrystel

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
Thought it might be time to resurrect this.

We are still meeting in Trinity Park in the pit on Tuesday nights, however it the weather is miserable, there is a free tuesday night jam every week in the Foyer of the Galbraith Building (the third building North of College & St. George). Usually starting at 8:30pm.

Page: ...