Page: ...
Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Alright, a number of us have met in Toronto a couple of times now in Christie Pits park, and are going to be meeting on a semi-regular basis. Eariler tonight we thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for GTA spinners, where we can post meeting locations and times, and others can post to say if they'll be available, etc.

and...well, this is it. Enjoy, all.

PS. When did we decide we'd be getting together next? I wasn't paying too much attention I'm afraid...

Mass Destruction Worldwidemember
83 posts

Posted:
Wow, Paddy...way to go on the site!! Much more than I expected from someone who said they didnt know any html!!! Props to you!

Cheers.

educate yourself - knowledge is power

pronunciamentomember
4 posts

Posted:
hey all TO fire spinners,

just wanted to let people know that there's ANOTHER fire spinning group that gets together on Tuesday nights around 9-ish at Trinity-Bellwoods park, near the band pit. We're a bunch of Burning Man folks (usually about 5 or 6 of us, sometimes more, sometimes less...), but would love to have more people to come jam with us. we have a Topica discussion list called FireWire, which you can sign up for, if you're so inclined.

also, as a kitchener-waterloo denizen, i could give a lift to k-w area folks who wanted to come out.

-- pronunciamento

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Paddy you RAWK! The site is awesome...and funny too. Nice job. Wow...I feel famous

Everyone-you all are lookin' good in those pics

Pronunciamento...not really familiar with trinity park...any more details to the location?

Om Namah Sivaya

pronunciamentomember
4 posts

Posted:
re: trinity park:

ok, i have no idea where it is in relation to anything else in toronto, but i'll tell you how i get there and maybe that will help...

i go east on the gardiner to the jamieson/lakeshore exit, go north (i think) on jamieson to queen, then right (east i guess) on queen for about ten minutes. it's on queen and bellwoods ave. then you walk through the park until you see the pit. then look for the freaks, and that will probably be us. but not tonight (june 04), b/c the weather isn't being very cooperative.

do a mapquest search for bellwoods ave and that might help if this doesn't cut it for ya.

-- p

Bokimember
9 posts

Posted:
Patty great site love the work you have done. I can't wait to see the other pictures when they get posted. Oh one more thing can someone give me some info on "Pourple Heaven". THANX.

884 posts

Posted:
I really wouldn't be the one to ask about Purple Heaven...Space is arranging everything and I'm really just tagging along. You could always send her a PM.

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
WOW! WOW! WOW! PADDY YOU ARE AMAZING!!! THAT SITE IS AWESOME! AND I LOVE ALL THE PICTURES!! I AM SO IMPRESSED, AMAZED, DUMB-STRUCK, ETC. WOW!!!

pronunciamento , I am also amazed that there is another poi group here. Love to hook up with you guys. Please let us know if next tuesday is happening or if any of you like, come visit us at Christie Pits on Sat. 7:30pm. What is that link, newsletter thing you were talking about?

[B]Sunspot[/B, Trinity is between Queen & Dundas, about 7 blocks W. of Bathurst

pronunciamentomember
4 posts

Posted:
linda, everyone,

yeah, i too was surprised to discover that there's more than one group in TO.

the topica list is just a mailing list thing that we use for announcements and discussions amongst our humble little group. you can sign up for it by going here: https://www.topica.com/lists/FireWire

the more the merrier

-- p

MissAstrofunkloveBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
hello gang
I just wanted o post the info for the free outdoor event this FRIDAY June 7

On friday June 7th. The Freespace collective is reclaiming a public
space to
throw a goa and ambient forest party.

Reclaiming in the sence of actually putting a rarely visited forest
area in
the city to use. This is in no way tresspassing or infiltation or any
of the
other things we've been known to do now and then.

Lineup:

Satori
Basilisk
Mantra
Subsonic Chronic
Kinetix
Siren

Cost: Pay what you can. This doesn't mean you have to pay anything,
but any
contributions you may have will be greatly appreciated.

MAP POINT: Between 10:00 and 12:00 in the evening, go to the
intersection of
Eglington and Leslie. Go north on Leslie, and take the first left
(this will
be a roadway leading into a park. Follow the roadway down under a
bridge
that you will see to the south. After the bridge, you will find
yourself in
a parking lot. Park there if you have a vehicle. Look for someone
with a
green bandana wrapped around their arm. (please leave any money you'd
to donate with this person) You will be directed from there.

For TTC commuters, you can get to Laurence and Leslie by taking the
Laurence
east or the Eglinton east busses at Eglinton station (ask the driver
to let
you off at Leslie.

-Warning- The map point will only be open from 10:00 to 12:00. If
you're
late... nobody will be around to guide you.

What to bring:

Water - A 1.5 litre bottle should keep you hidrated all night.
A blanket - Something to sit on, cause forest floors are often muddy
and wet
A flashlight - Cause it's dark.
And, once again, Toilet paper. Cause you really do never know.

Concerns:

First off, and most importantly. Forests have random fallen
leaves/twigs,
pine needles and all sorts of other random -highly flamable- stuff on
them.
Please be verry carefull with any flames. If you are lighting a
ciggarete,
do so in the "party areas" where the ground will be trampled to a
certain
degree, and where there are lots of people that can see if a fire
starts. If
you need to see, use a flashlight. Do not have open flames anywhere
else.
And for god's sake don't start a bonfire.

Also, forests have sharp branches sticking out in random places. This
will
not be a concern in the "party area" but it is a concern everywhere
else. So
if you do wander off, bring a flashlight, and one way or the other,
we are
not responsible if we find someone who's managed to skewer themselves
on a
tree branch.

We are doing our best to work with a leave no trace policy. That
means that
if anything we're going to ensure that the spot is actually cleaner
after
the party then it was before it. (hey, it's only fair to make up for
our
keeping the animals up with our music all night.)

This means three things:

First, please do not bring any glass containers of any kind.

Second, do your best not to leave any garbage during the party.
Garbage bags
and ashtrays will be provided. Find them, and use them throughout the
night.

Third, in the morning, do your best to pick up anything that you do
see and
throw it away in it's appropriate waste recepticle. And think about
it, you
may be tired and just want to go home, but the more you leave behind
is the
more that has to be cleaned up by those who do stay to clean up.

Finally, please try to forward this info to anyone that you tell
about this
party, so that they are aware of all the info.

I hope you come out!

*huggzz*
B.

....dance like nobodieswatching.... oh no wait, I'm not watching! My eyes are shut *crash* hehe oops sorry did I bump into you? *blush*

154 posts

Posted:
Paddy - Great site!
wow my first on line pic. and with fire no doubt! hehe
the others look great too!!
more
more
more!!!

Is there still a meet this sat?

*huggzz*
B.

....dance like nobodieswatching.... oh no wait, I'm not watching! My eyes are shut *crash* hehe oops sorry did I bump into you? *blush*

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
The site does look spectacular, i'm very impressed Paddy.

Pronunciamento, i'd love to hear more about this Tuesday meet deal. I'm coming from KW...you were saying something to that effect? I can talk to you about it Saturday if you're coming by Christie. If not some details would be wonderful.

Luv,
*Space*

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
yep, meeting saturday, 7:30pm, Christie as usual.

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Oh! And if you want more info on Purple Heaven it can be found at www.purple-heaven.com

We're going to the one this Saturday (June 8).

Smiles and hugs!!!
*Space*

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

154 posts

Posted:
but with better spelling...
-RIDE TO om-

Paddy- I'm not sure for certain , but will do my best to get you a ride!!
I'd love for you to come with me, and I have another "spinner" for you to meet+ Davy(fiery flow) and Rashelle (opia), the location of the theme camp thier organizing for juglers, spinners, ect. !! oh sh*t am I ever excited about OM!!!!!
let me work on it!!

Question:
1. can you get to Toronto(down town anywhere)?
2. fiday morning ?

See you Saturday - oh and i might be comming to Purple heaven- how much?
some friends are going too.
YAY JUNE!!!

*huggzz*
B.

Karenmember
12 posts

Posted:
greetings everyone,

I missed you all this past Saturday, can't wait for this week. Although my dog, yes the one I brought a few weeks back that got a little:) freaked out by all the poi, ate mine!!!!! Sorry Linda, he couldn't resist:) Gotta replace before the weekend:)

Paddy your site is Fantastic - I LOVE all of the pics - and you said you weren't very savvy - hmmm, wanna fix my site!!!!!!

Ok dumb ?? how do I attach those cute little faces to my replies??

see ya'll Saturday

xx Karen

83 posts

Posted:
First off, Space...sorry about not gettin back to you. Ive been like u were last week *madness I tell u* U may have guessed that Im not gonna be able to make it to Purple-heaven though...Dough Flows Low yo!
Not to mention I have some things I NEED to finish up saturday night...stupid deadlines.

Ya, so lookin forward to saturday...hopefully it doesnt rain again!!
BTW, Karen...when youre in the post reply area, just under where u write stuff u'll see a little box with things called "instant graemlins" Just click on whatever one you want to put there...!!
Not a stupid question, dont worry!! I had the same prob at first too! Haha.

Cheers all!

Karenmember
12 posts

Posted:
MDW

thankzzzzzzz, but still not gettin' it - nothing happens when i click - whatzzzzz up - unhappy face here

xx karen

884 posts

Posted:
Karen, the language (javascript) that automatically puts the face in is probably not enabled...you can do it manually though.

: + ) =
: + ( =
; + ) =
: + D =

also try these words with colons at either end :like: :this:...
razz
mad
confused
rolleyes
eek
cool

Also, who is going to the forest party (or whatever it's called) tomorrow? I'll definitely be going but I'd feel much more comfortable if I could meet up with someone first. Are you Toronto peeps going to together? Who could I meet and where????

Thanks guys!

enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
^^^same question as Paddy

I'm for sure in....I'll check here tomorrow for everyone else..lata all

Om Namah Sivaya

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Hey Guys, i'm going to be in TO tomorrow (friday) anyway so I thought I might go to the forest thing as well. Likewise though, i'd feel much better if I could go with someone else. So i'm going to go with a "same as above". I'll be checking on here tomorrow. Later Kidz, see ya Saturday if not sooner!!!

Smiles and Hugz,

*Space*

884 posts

Posted:
Alright, I suggest we all meet at the place where the person is giving out directions, at, say, 11:00. All you folks from downtown will be coming up in pretty much the same direction, so you all might want to meet up even earlier and come up together. But since I'm coming from the other way I'll meet you guys there at 11:00.

Is there anything else we should do instead, or is that an okay plan?

See you all tomorrow!

154 posts

Posted:
HEY guys Great! to read sum of you are comming tonight!!! It's going to be so fun!!

If you wanted to meet up b4, my friend Stef lives somewhat close to the "meet point" area and is having ppl over. anytime after 7pm untill 10:30
---353 Davisville---
Which is just east of Mnt. Pleasent(East of Young)
Davisville has a subway stop on the Young st. line(north of Bloor), then hop on the bus or even walk (east) it's only a 10 min. walk!! Her place is on the right(south)side, just past the first stop sign east of Mnt.Pleasent Rd.

i'll have my cell phone: 905 - 767 - 1697 (NOT long dist. from TO)

see ya tonight
*huggzz*
B.

[ 08 June 2002, 04:58: Message edited by: MissAstrofunklove ]

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
HOLY SHNEIKIES!!!
3 PAGES?????!!!!!!!
Kaos feels left out
oh well...exams are almost over, maybe hell jump on the T dot poi train after skool...

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

884 posts

Posted:
I've was wondering where you've been Kaos...thought you'd have been all over this thread. Do come out sometime, it would be great to meet you. There's a gathering tomorrow if you want to come.

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
Paddy, I will come soon and I really want to, but I'm in the middle of an exam period rite now, when those are over, I'll see what I can do to get down there...oh and that websites wikked man,,,
June 14th is my last exam so after that I'm free...

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

pronunciamentomember
4 posts

Posted:
Tuesday Night Info

Here's the skinny on Tuesday night spin-jams in Trinity-Bellwood, from our illustrious organizer, Lola:

"Spin-jams happen every Tuesday at 9pm in the pit at Trintiy-Bellwoods park on Queen Street West, weather permitting.

"Bring chains or whatever you like to spin with. Tennis balls or "stress" balls make good practice chains. It can be a fairly painful learning curve when you first start out I have about 6 sets of chains left and I usually bring a set or two to lend out for the evening (the sets are also for sale at a very reasonable $50/set) If you wanna spin with flames, make sure to wear fairly snug natural fabrics (absofuckinglutely *NO* polyester or other synthetics.. Leather or denim is best) A hat is a good idea to protect your head and tie up that long hair (flames or
no) to keep it outta your way. Tape for fingers is a good idea so you don't get blisters (the leather handles take awhile to break-in) and
water/drinx are a good idea, tho there is a water fountain in the park. Glowstix make your spin-jam more fun and help you to see the moves you've just learned."

And again, you can sign up for our discussion list by sending an email here: FireWire-subscribe@topica.com, or by following the link i posted a couple days ago.

Space, if you want a ride from KW, email me off-list and we can make arrangements.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it out to meet y'all this Saturday.

Have fun,tho.

-- p

Karenmember
12 posts

Posted:
Thanks Paddy

83 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, hope last night went well. I couldnt make it out:(

Any plans made for next weekend yet??

enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Hey MDW-We missed ya yesterday! next weekend we're meeting at High Park. The meet starts around 4:30 pm...and goes until whenever. To get there you need to go to the Keele subway station (further west then christie by approx 5 stops). Ummm not sure about the rest of directions though....Linda?

Om Namah Sivaya

opiamember
9 posts

Posted:
wow...i haven't been in these parts in a while I can see...

anyway, I just had a happy customer walk away with their brand new removable tails (velkro) comet poi that I just made today with a handy little draw string bad to carry the poi in...

Linda, yours will be ready tomorrow but you already know that

Anyone interested in their own poi made by yours truly...it comes with removable tails, (I can custom colour it for you if you email me your request) choice of 3 colours (I can make the covers have two colours but that costs extra since it's harder to make) two colours for the tail and one(or two) for the covers...the strings can match the poi and so can the handles. same with the draw string baggie.

A pair of poi that comes with the velkro and baggies starts at 25$ cad.
Plain poi with no velkro and no bag 3 colours starts at 15$.

I would LOVE to charge less but I don't even think I would be making any money off of what I'm charging now.

Anyway, t'was nice seeing the poiers out at the outdoor this friday that just passed...too bad I forgot my own poi and had to borrow everyone else's

I will not be at High Park on June 15th cause I had previous plans made to go to a bbq/picnic gathering at Ward's Island which is the eastern island of toronto islands. If anyone's interested in a day on the island spinning their poi outdoors with a bbq and great company, let me know and I'll give you the details. The farry costs only 5$ round trip and we're meeting sometime in the late morning I believe. Last farry leaves at 11pm I believe.

if i don't see anyone at the ward's island day, I'll just see ya at our theme camp at Om! Look for the glowing squid backdrop and you'll be there!

peace&poi!

peace&cheers,ra :)

Page: ...