Page: ...
Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Alright, a number of us have met in Toronto a couple of times now in Christie Pits park, and are going to be meeting on a semi-regular basis. Eariler tonight we thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for GTA spinners, where we can post meeting locations and times, and others can post to say if they'll be available, etc.

and...well, this is it. Enjoy, all.

PS. When did we decide we'd be getting together next? I wasn't paying too much attention I'm afraid...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
anyone planning on doing anything the evening of June 7th perhaps? just wondering since i might well be in the area.....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
Hey Paddy, boy are you fast! Great thread and now I'm all registered. Had a blast last night. Not sure when next week, I can't do saturday, but could do monday. Lindsay said Monday OK too. Vitaly not sure. Brian? Brian, did you burn your hair? thought I saw you hit the back of your head. I'm going to e-mail the other Brian to see what happened to him and tell him about this. See ya, Linda

884 posts

Posted:
Linda, I'd definitely prefer Monday over Saturday, but can be there on Saturday if it comes down to it.

Kyrian, I'm not doing anything on June 7th...not sure about anyone else though. If you're going to be around we could certainly make that a meeting date though!

Bokimember
9 posts

Posted:
Hey guys last night was great. I had a blast with tha fire poi. I have one thing to add. can some onegive me a list or a few of thesongs we were twirling fire to?

Thats all from me...........
Lates............

884 posts

Posted:
I can tell you what I had...

By Shpongle:
Dorset Perception
And Day Turned to Night
Flute Fruit
Monster Hit

Others:
One For You by James Holden
Liquid Sky by Solar Quest
Snakeblood by Leftfield
Xero Effect by myself

I brought more, but I think that's all I put on.

Bokimember
9 posts

Posted:
Thankx That music isn't realy my style but i realy likedoing fire and grow sticks to it. It takes you away, i forget everything around me when that music is on. Do u guys have msn cuz if u dou can contact me at: b_da_g@msn.com.

Lates..........................

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone. Well you didn't miss anything in terms of poi at the party. Much to packed to do anything seriously. Although when I did find a spot someone came and asked to borrow them. So I said sure...but then he wouldn't give them back...I think maybe I totally believe in karma now cause then he hit himself in the eye with the glowstick I didn't laugh though cause I know how much that hurts
Like Linda said Monday is fine with me. I can't be there until 8:30...but that's perfect cause that's right when it starts to get dark
Yeah Saturday was awesome....I swear I think I told everyone I met at the party that I had just spun with fire for the first time

Om Namah Sivaya

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
hey all,
sounds like 8:30 pm monday is good. I just bought some kevlar at Browser's Den of Magic (875 Eglinton W at Bathurst). It was $6.50 for 2ft x 2 inches. They also had fire poi ($45), but they were too long for me and on wire. hard to wrap. so going to try and make my own.

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
If I have to chase people on a message board, how difficult will it be in the city.

okay, is anybody going to the Om festival??????

Also, I'll be arriving in Toronto on the 15th of June. I am gathering with some friends in High Park (near the station) for some spliffs and spinning. I'm up for evening or daytime spinning.

Peace love and flaming balls of stuff!

D

[ 16 May 2002, 22:37: Message edited by: FieryFlow ]

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
p.s. is there many in this group that are into staff, doubles or contact juggling? Just wondering what other equipment I should bring

p.p.s. if you respond *promptly* and are coming to the Om festival, I can get you a cheaper ticket (55$) if you join my juggling/swinging camp. but you've gotta e-mail me SOON

[ 16 May 2002, 22:43: Message edited by: FieryFlow ]

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
p.p.p.s. I've been searching on-line and thru friends in toronto for you guys for almost 10 months now!! SOOOOOOO Pleased to finally see there's a community!

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
Dear Fieryflow,
I am going to the Om festival, because my brother's band Kan'nal is playing. What is your juggling/spinning camp doing? are you performing? June 15, High Park sounds great. I work until 2:30 pm. that day, so anytime after. So far we have a pure poi group, but it would be fun to try other toys.

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
how about halloween 2003?? cos thats when i'll be there lol!!!

spending a year at waterloo uni on exchange!!

vic xx

p.s. if anyone goes to waterloo, drop me a line yeah. i wanna know what its like !!

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

Mass Destruction Worldwidemember
83 posts

Posted:
MMM halloween, what a wonderful time of year!!!
I know a few ppl that go to Waterloo, heard its not too bad...but T.O's still the place to be around here!

*Can't wait to finally meet some like-minded ppl into this fantastic hobby*

BTW, anyone know of any stilter's in T.O? I used to belong to a troup in Vancouver and would love to get back into it!

educate yourself - knowledge is power

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Hey TwirlyVic,
I've been living in Waterloo since I was born. The university scene is wonderful, what with there being two universities in such close proximity. You'll love it. There are also a whole bunch of little pubs, or bars, or clubs that you can go to. Fairly close to TO where the 'main action' is. You'll have tons of fun and meet many wonderful people. Let me know when you're coming, we'll take you out!
Luv,
*Space*

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
Toronto is very boring in comparison to London, but its got its good points.

Hey Linda,

My camp is for jugglers and swingers of all types.. We'll be having performances at night (when we feel like it) and we'll be having workshops all day (unless we pass out).

We'll be located next to the Dub Beautiful stage.

We had discounted tickets, but its too late now, so you can just come by and visit us if you feel like it

I'm gonna have a huge stash of kero up there so you can come by and soak your wicks too

[ 17 May 2002, 21:09: Message edited by: FieryFlow ]

lindaSILVER Member
93 posts

Posted:
hey fiery, very excited that there is going to be a poi camp at om.

mass destruction and other toronto poi people, we'll see ya at 8:30pm, Christie Pits Park, on monday May 20. Go to Christie subway, walk outside, cross street, go down hill into park. There is a shelter/gazebo thing surrounded by picnic tables. Meet there. Look for spinning balls.

BrianCmember
2 posts

Posted:
Hey all, you guys have been busy chatters ^_^

see you all tomorrow, and happy Bday linda!!

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
Hey Linda,

Its a camp for spinners and jugglers of all types, not just poi. I'll be teaching staff, double staff and contact juggling as well, and there should be some people teaching ball and club juggling and there might be someone with fire fingers

Don't know any diabolo or devil stick people but they're welcome too if you know of any.

[ 20 May 2002, 21:43: Message edited by: FieryFlow ]

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Happy Birthday Linda

Just thought I'd also mention to everyone to dress warm. It's gonna be a chilly evening..might wanna bring some gloves too. Alrighty I'm off to find some fireworks...see everyone tonite

Om Namah Sivaya

83 posts

Posted:
So I guess Im taking the initiative to tell everyone that wasnt around tonight (Monday the 20th) that it was a GREAT time!!! We have all agreed that next Sunday (26th I think) will be the next get together in the park.

Anyone that didnt make it...hope to meet you at the next one!

Cheers!!!

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
oooooh!!! I can't wait to meet you guys!!!

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Hey guys!
Last night was bundles of fun! I just wish I didn't have to skip out so early. Oh well, next time. Thanx again guys, keep everything wonderful. Off to work!
Luv,
*Space*

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

884 posts

Posted:
Hey folks, I'm glad to announce the pics are ready and they look friggin great. Not bad for a first attempt with a camera that has a wonky viewfinder. Vitaly, your pics look amazing, we definitely have to do more pictures with the flames near dead.

Anyways, they're just in a big zip file for now, and they're all just downloaded straight from the camera. I didn't have time to balance the colour, crop, resize or any of that. Will do that when I get back from camp next week. May also learn some basic html so we'll have an actual site and not just files to download.

Anyways, 'nuff chatting. You can get them here. Enjoy.

884 posts

Posted:
Okay, apparently you can't do what I just did (hotlink to the file)...I'll have to set up a proper page tomorrow. Does anyone know HTML??? Ack.

Karenmember
12 posts

Posted:
Hey guys,

Just wanted to check in, I'm finally registered!
And to add that last night was great. Paddy I can't wait to see all of the photos.

Fiery Flow, I too am going to Om with Linda. I'm managing her bro's band Kan'Nal.
I'd love to check out the poi camp at the festival. I'm new to this and could sure use some tips.
june 15th in the park sounds great!!

"Art washes away the dust of everyday life". PP

MissAstrofunkloveBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
Hello All
Wow So gald to see some kind of Toronto Poi collective!! I've been hoping to meet up/join one!
I'm new to the message board, my
friend (thanks fiery flow!) led me here.
I'm also going to be a part of the Jugeling/spinning theam camp at OM.
I'm verry interested in meeting you guys this Sunday!! What time and where?

Oh question - were any of you at the Resistor party at system (Annolog Pussy) this past Sunday?
I met another swinger there who has a group...hey when it rain it pours right! ;o) hehe Just wondering if the two are connected. If not then great! the more the....well whateva! hehe

*huggzz*
B.

....dance like nobodieswatching.... oh no wait, I'm not watching! My eyes are shut *crash* hehe oops sorry did I bump into you? *blush*

884 posts

Posted:
Alrighty, I went to make a basic page for the pics only to find the site shut down. Angelfire doesn't allow the putting up of files without an actual site to go with them, so they gave me the boot, and I just didn't have time to do it again.

I'm leaving for camp tomorrow, so if I can email the pics to someone perhaps he/she could put them up? Only thing is you have to have an email address that will allow for at least 7.5 megs worth of attachments. Vitaly, you know some HTML so I'd send 'em to you, but hotmail only allows one meg. Linz, how about I send them to you (you've got that brand spankin' new sympatico address), so that you can get them to someone else? Otherwise they'll be sitting here 'til I get back.

So if you can receive the pics please let me know where to send em. I'll get them to you before I leave.

have fun without me next week! Bah.

83 posts

Posted:
Whats up MissAstroFunk....

Well, the plan is to meet this Sunday (the 26th) at Christie Pits Park....at between 8 and 8:30pm I do believe. *correct me if Im wrong everyone* Unfortunately...some of us wont be there...*Paddy's kicken it at camp* but it'll still be a good time.
Hey, hopefully Vitaly will get his friends to come this time...the more the merrier right!!

Good luck witht the pic postings guys...*wishes she knew something of html*

BTW, Miss Astro...just in case youre unsure of where the park is...Its right across the street from Christie Station...just look for a bunch of ppl spinning stuff, u cant miss us!!

Cheers all!

MissAstrofunkloveBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
Thanks MDW!! I might be bringing a friend who spins as well if I can convince her we wont get raped going to Christy pits at night!!
Question: why Christy Pits and not some other park?? - just curious

Paddy - I don't have a digi cam. but a lot of my friends do and they all put thier pic's on Shutterfly . It's free and all you have to do (once the pic's are downloaded) is type out the link that takes us to the site(and your pic's) and we can all see them. Not sure if it works from here(the message board format) but sent in email the link does work for sure!! Hope that helps?!?!

*huggzz*
B.

....dance like nobodieswatching.... oh no wait, I'm not watching! My eyes are shut *crash* hehe oops sorry did I bump into you? *blush*

Page: ...