el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
I got hired by Insomnia to do a bit of stilt walking/fire eating and fire spinning at camdem palace in london last saturday. went ok, but it was quite empty, so there weren't too many people watching.

point of this post is that im now having a bitch of a time trying to get paid. so, i thought i'd warn people. dunno if this is just Imsomnia, or club promoters in general, but i think i'm going to insist on some money up front from now on.

May your staff spin fast and your poi always miss your balls.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Congrats on the job!

Basically always get at least half up front. I think other people have had the same problem.

My general impression of Camden Palace and most people involved in the place is that they're dodgy and greedy. Just what I hear from decent promoters who tried or have organised stuff there.

[ 23 April 2002, 00:51: Message edited by: Dom ]

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
right, i've just heard back from Essential Events, the promoters of Insomnia, and they are now claiming to never had agreed to pay me anything other than costs, which to be honest is bull crap.

Learning from mistakes time: get something in writing before hand guys, or as Dom suggested, at least some of the cash. Also, I would suggest NOT working for these people, and if you know anyone who has been aproached by them, please warn them, rather than someone else be screwed like i have been.

Just to make the matter clear, this has nothing to do with Camdem Palace, they are not to blame in any way. The club and its staff were acomodating and helpfull. My issue is with the promoters.

munchkinmember
15 posts

Posted:
Oh Dear so they are at it again...
Don't think that it is just you that they have ripped off they rip the djs off too and lighting people and performers!
I have had a few friends who have been ripped off at alot of the big parties in London and they get away with it because there is no proof that they owe you money.
The only way to make sure they pay up is to get a contract done up to say that you will be performing/playing and that your fee is ... otherwise they will just keep ripping off talented people like yourself.
It really takes the .... but thats the way life goes..
Try approaching Pendragon or Logic for work as they are really wicked and professional promoters and pay up. I know that Logic are always looking for new acts!
Good Luck and a big sympathetic hug from me to you!
Just keep on at the insomnia people and hopefully they will get so sick of you going on that they will pay up!

Live with the world as you wish it to live with you!

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
YAY!
congrats on the performance! tell me all about it sometime.....

BOO!
bad people like that make me angry. Sorry you got messed about - you shouldn't have to put up with stuff like that.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I agree with Munchkin. I've heard nothing but good about Pendragon. Go with them in future and keep hounding Insomnia til they relent.

Meh

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
cheers for the sympathy guys.

i can see that its gonna take a very long time, and a lot of effort to get any money out of them.

its making me wonder why i bother doing it. we all put alot of effort into our performances, be they poi, staff or stilts, and i don't think i need to have that effort thrown back in my face like this.

THanks for the advice, and for the hug munchkin!

Flambabemember
16 posts

Posted:
Congrats on your show...I agree with Dom, get half up front...I learned the same lesson when I did my first gig and since then, I always use a legal contract even if it is a freebie...that way, there are no disputes about what was expected on either end.

Deviant HPCmember
21 posts

Posted:
Greetings all...

Ive been running a group in London called Headfunk Pyro Circus for over a year now and havnt really had any problems with getting payed.
the only bit of advice that I can give is
if you arnt sure that the party is going to
pay then write up a contract stating your working
conditions and the ammount that need to be payed..
Get them to sighn a copy and keep it..
It`s always good to get everything in writing..

Or hey if you know the promoters then just TRUST them...

To eliminate any confusion find out before the gig when you are going to be getting payed...
Some parties will only open the cash at the end of the night!!

Just dont forget about one thing..
HAVING FUN!!
Cos hey whats the point of doing something if you dont enjoy it....

Fire&Light
Deviant
www.headfunk.fsnet.co.uk

P.S. Anyone coming to Psygate???