Page:
KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Hi Folks

When is the next fire fest in the london area? Also if anyone feels like meeting up in Clapham Common some fine sunny day for someone to practice with, get in touch and we can meet up

Cheers

Kat

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
sure ! could you please also bring your beautiful soul, some hugs and a few smiles ?
thanking you in anticipation

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ok, I'll start packing some hugs right away.

Meh

SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
Ola Peeps!

I've had a nice chat with the lovely people at St. John's Ambulance and, the following...

S'cool. They're keen, and lovely - I solved a headache they had with Outlook mail so they think we're lovely too Yay! I'll send them info as we update ourselves. There will be a cost unfortunately but it's not a biggie - Fraid they're not free anymore but the cost is more token than painful - £25 for one person to cover us for up to 8 hours (can only have less than 2 covering events under 1000 people. FYI Main switch: 0207 258 3456.) I'll cover the cost and gladly accept contributions later I guess we'll get them to come along late pm when things are hotting up.

I'm hoping whoever’s in touch with Lambeth and the police might find this a good bargaining tool if they come up against opposition. On the other hand if there's only going to be 20 of us then it's probably not worth bothering St. Johns. But if there's more, then suggestion of a dedicated burn area sounds very good to me - Can someone ask if we can stake and rope a circle on the common? I can help find stuff to use.

Windmill pub's great in the summer, we'll have a hec of an audience if the weather's good (guesstimate 2-300 people from the pub alone, though not if it's 14 degrees!)

Can someone check out the tarmac around the band stand if they happen to be in the area? - I'm going on old memories and back then there was a lot of surface, good for blading (though don't fall backwards off the bandstand, it hurts and people will wince, seriously ) snake-board etc, but it was very churned up - t'would be nice to tell everyone it's been sorted and 'bring your bits.' The paths are pretty cool (unless there are new restrictions on using them? Buler? Anyone?)

Aaand I can't think of anything else except for 'sorry for the long post.'
Hope you're all well and as excited as me that we've survived another wonderful winter and are beginning to enjoy our reward.

byE

[ 18 April 2002, 01:49: Message edited by: SpacemonkE ]

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I have created a monster........at least I hope so, sounds like it could be a monster event at any rate.

You guys are superstars checking out all the details.

Few suggestions, I reckon we should keep it pretty casual at first. Music would be great, bringing an instrument is a sound idea and music would be be good. I doubt anyone would object to a portable stereo, decks and mega speakers would surely be objected to all right.

Stands for tea and coffee etc would be nice but maybe unrealistic until we see how a first meet goes. I think it would be cool if everyone just chipped in for a pot-luck picnic.

What time are we all thinking about meeting here. Will be getting dark at what, about 9? What time would be good to meet?

I think anyone planning on burning should get together perhaps and chip in for paraffin or byo.

Making this a monthly event is a great idea - May 18th is a good idea for a test run. Anyhow, I am definitely eager to volunteer my services to make this happen.

Roll out the sunshine

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Kat, generally Sheffield Poi in the Parks generally start around 3pm. Then you can hone your skills in daylight and light up when it grows dark.

Also 3pm is a good time to aim for as it gives people who are unfamiliar with the area a chance (eg all morning and part of the afternoon) to find it.

Thought you might be interested.

Meh

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
I'm with kat, keep it casual and cool,
kat any chance you could say "My monster is alive. muhahahahaha" in a demonic voice?

I'm thinking picnik so I'm getting down there about 2-3 o'clock for some chilling in the sunshine which I have arranged with god for the day.
Bams up for afternoon picnik too

Ewan. too much E. Don't be daft. St johns ambulance will not be necessary at SPIP. but cool that you found out.

Woody, Ros, c@ntus, cassandra. Looking forward to meeting you.

kealaigh. nice website. I like the image with all the little faces. groovy. Very pictoplasm. Which is one of my favorite source books at the moment.

RANT RANT
Shame on you everyone who called it PiP, (including you PK and knox).
hurrah to everyone who called it SPiP
and you all know why.

Dom, nice flyer, on the same thread, the version that got to me had had the top line cut off. you know the one that says "staff and". but other than that, Its groovy. you are a dude
oh and As Im in a pedant mood
Can I object to the use of the word "Twirlers"
twirler, twirlers!! i ask you,
you'll be inviting morris men next.

I'm eating asparagus, with melted butter dripped all over my keyboard.
yum. we could have that at the picnik.
asparagus that is,
not my keyboard.
C@ntus: If you can't bring any food, I might be able to spare you a dairylea triangle.
Im' not here, I've been working like a monkey all day, and I'm shattered.
Glass

4,224 posts

Posted:
I am just so excited about this ... I have that huge grin on my face

I agree with the "keep it casual" atmosphere...
As for when to meet ... I'll be there early after noon allready for many reasons :
a) SUN ? in LONDON ? gotta see that !!
b) park ? poi ? fun ? YAY
c) Got some serious hugging to do

Ain't that wonderful ? Aren't we damn lucky ? isn't life great ? Am I not in a good mood finally ? isn't that excitement getting too cheesy ? Don't you have enough of my questions ? How do you make babies ?

and Glass, it is so funny, you kinda remind me of that other guy called glass who also posts on HOP sometimes. But he can't post lately cause HE'S GOT WORK TO DO... or so he told me

shine on
Cassandra

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've sorted cheap rail tickets for me. Just need to sort out details with my young lady and it's a done deal. London here we come.

Durbs called it POC when I shouted at him for calling it PIP by the way.....

Meh

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Hi y'all!

I have relocated to Kentish town for a couple of months and am well up for the 18th May (sounds fantastic), be great to put a few names to faces.

I will bring a frisbee.

Anyone up for meeting up for a spin outside before then? I went to the viaduct for the first time on the 16th and found that it was far too crowded for me to really spin (and the prevailing styles seem to suggest you all need a bit more space!).

Good to see the scene is still hot though!

Give us a shout if youre up for meeting!

love

Axis

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yes, there will be Morris Dancers! I've organsied 2 troops who have agreed to a fight to the death, with hankerchiefs.

Twirl: To rotate or revolve briskly; swing in a circle; spin.

We are keeping it casual, just getting excited and making sure we have some plan. Bollox to anything much beyond setting a date and place and then seeing who rocks up. However I do expect fairy cakes and chocolate brownies to be baked.

I'll tweak the flyer and email it out to a couple of you. But "Staff and Poi in the Park"? Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue tho. And I haven't got room on the Flyer, it's full already.

Cass, glad you're in that sunny place again

Poi in the Park, Poi on the Common, Common Staff, Universal Gathering of the Galactic Fire Tribe, whatever! If I'm doing the flyer just let me know what to whack on the top of it.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Hey Guy in london wicked
haven't seen you since bristol

If you need space to spin go for the thursday nights in kensal rise, their really buzzing at the moment. Amazing venue.

would love to meet up and have a play, michal too. see what new concepts are floating arounds.
I Got a few.

I cant belive you came to to viaduct on the first night ever that I wasn't there!

SPoc/SPip
Still not posting, cos Im working
Drew

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
If people bothered putting their pictures in Mug Shots then you wouldn't need to wait til the 18th to put names to faces, Axis.

Just a thought....

Meh

starbukmember
75 posts

Posted:
Cant believe the hype! Its been 3 days since I thought a few people were going to meet up 4 a burn, maybe in clapham, maybe in may, now its getting on to be what could be considered by my dad as a festival

I will definatly bring lots of cake, does every1 like chocolate? as for music the smallest thing i can get hold of 4 out door use is a 3k rig, so i guess i'll leave that one behind!

Guess i'll have to check everyday now to make sure it hasnt turned into a festival so i can book a ticket! c u all there, nice work k.

Dont forget to bring a towel

SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
Helloo again lovely people

Glass - Cool, you're right, I know what I'm about to say and you're still right. This is just directed at anyone who might read it through an interest in gatherings; and to explain my thoughts.

During and since BJC (less than three weeks) I've helped roll one man back out of a bonfire, and helped run down a burning staff that had an end wrapped in the performers necklace (which was fastened around her with wire to stop it breaking and coming off during the perf ) Neither resulted in anything too nasty, but both were scary. And another few seconds of flame + face... We've all heard horror stories, and know that nice nights in the park turn nasty when your friends are on fire. So, sorry for this non-fluffy interruption, but fire burns nice people too, big groups or small, and if you're involving the public (never underestimate the stupidity of them,) then you really can't have enough forethought or options available.

+ The bargaining chip may still need to be used with Lambeth or the Po-lice if you're going down that route.

So... I've happily put a stop on St. J. which totally makes sense, but note that the number and info about them are up so that anybody that reads it might remember them in the future. And sorry Kat for over-monstering your lovely gathering. I will now bring large amounts of cake to smother anyone on fire, anyone who calls me anal, and anyone who wants to be smothered in cake

Though, out of curiosity - Does anyone know the score in Sheffield? - How do/ do they cover their bigger parties? Is it adequate to wait for the nearest person to smother the flames or do they just chuck em on the bonfire once they've stopped moving?

Now you can all tell me to go away.

Probably a bit SadlE and ParentallE but I hope SafelE

(Oh and by the way, the ‘E’ thing. It’s just because my name’s Ewan. Fire, smiles and I admit caffeine are generally more than enough to get me bouncing off the walls (and trees).)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Ok guys may I just say that it's really nice to see so many people want to be involved in getting this (gathering) up and running. The thread had only been alive a matter of days and look at the response that's been generated! I really think we're going to be having some serious fun on the 18th

Ewan I like the idea about getting St Johns ambulance involved, however I don't think we really need to as I'd like to think that we have a very responsible group of pyro's We all know ascendants happen when you play with fire (I know all about that one) but if we're prepared (fire blankets at the ready) and look out for one another I'm sure that any problems that arise we'll be able to handle them.

Dave have you spoken to the authorities about permission for fire?? This has got to be a good idea seeing as we have people coming from all over the place (even France) to play. The last thing we want is to be stopped from using fire on our first Pip / Spip whatever you want to call it! Plus we want this to be a regular thing.

What about music???? Does anyone play the guitar???? or drums? I can get hold of both if anyone want to entertain the troops.

CAKES CAKES CAKES, Hmmmmm this sounds like a yummy idea. I'd love to be involved in this, however the last load of baking I did turned people into space cadets at the BJC so perhaps I'll give that one a miss ehh

Do we have many people staying over in London for the night?? and do we have beds to offer????

My head hurts, so I'm going to find a dark room and have a bit of a nap. See you all in a couple of weeks, but read you all before then.

Lisa (Bam)

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
A Fire Festival. Cool idea! How about instead of the Burning Man we have .... The Burning Mouse!

On fire safety, I'm the one who cares a fire blanket about, so I know where you're coming from Ewan. We should get hold of a CO2 fire extinguisher for extra safety.

Smother me in cake and called me ....er... Dom!

4,224 posts

Posted:
Dom, you helped me greatly to be in that sunny place again

i totally agree with the safety issues you guys are discussing. it is important that someone does safety for whoever is spinning IMO.

The idea of a croud watching is not what pleases me most I must admit. probably cause i am shy enough in front of people I know ... But I am just so sure we'll have that warm family atmosphere anyway

Cantus, so happy you're coming for sure and I can't wait to meet you and your princess

Bam Bam, i am not coming to London for that event, i had actually planned my visit before ... I was kinda hoping taht *maybe* I'll b able to meet *some people* I like on HoP and *a few* inspiring and shiny people ... and I must say that I am sooooooooooo happy that this coincides with that gathering Lucky lucky me ... it's really great
But hey ... since I am coming from PARIS for th event, maybe we can call it "European Convention for arts where you spin and twirl stuff", no ?

Last thing is that I think Orange has the relay equipment right now, can anyone try and contact him to see if he could bring it down to London for the picnic ?

Shine on
Cassandra

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Cool guys I will definately be there and I will persuade some of the fireweaver guys to come down as well.

Looking forward to putting faces to names.

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

starbukmember
75 posts

Posted:
Hey every1,

If we want this to be a big event do you think its a good idea to maybe start thinking about advertising? It will be the begining of summer, lots of people love spending time in the grass and sun, around fun loving people, I think we could generate quite a lot buzz for this!

More people means more cake, right? And we may be able to encourage some people with bongos etc. to turn up and that would take care of the music problem. If people are already prepaired to cross the sea for this thing and travel the length of the country, the bigger the better right? Or am i really way off? Im sure a few flyers/posters in certain local vacinities may be able to help, especially those around the area and in the suburbs of london.

Just an idea anyway, my minds working over time with X-citment

Dont forget to bring a towel

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
well count me in book a few days off work so i can get down there!! can ne wait!! so many new faces to put names to... better bring a notepad and a pen so i dont forget them all haha...
sounds like dom is as kewl as me i allways carry my lil fire extinguisher with me when doing any fire, plus if the coppers nab ya then u can pull it out and do some mad stuff, supose that dom does flags with his blanky.. hehe
well its pip5 this saturday so i am gonna see who definatly wants to come down from the north, i for one am there without a doubt!
well must brose thenet and upload some piccies while i can be bothered... gonna put up the pics fom the viaduct and daves pad.. so if ya wanna check em out they will be on my website within an hour....
bye fer now!
pk
https://uk.geocities.com/poi_in_the_park_sheffield

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Don't get over excited Starbuk. Word of mouth and word of HOp are fine for the first one. Calm down. Take a few deep breaths.

Feeling better?

Good.

Meh

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Hi Drew!
Been away in NZ for 3 months, having plenty fun.
Will be at Kensal rise next Thursday and maybe viaduct on tues (hardly any space there though!).
See you there!
Michal wont let me sit in on her courses
Axis.

4,224 posts

Posted:
This realy is starting to look massive to me... YAY US :)But Let us try to keep it warm and cosy ... otherwise we'll have to organise a paralell meeting for the shy ones like me I'd call it "poi behind the tree"

shine on
Cassandra

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
If it's too big I'll be with Cass. First sign of anyone with a drum and I'm off as well....

Meh

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Word of mouth is enough. We're going to hand out flyers at spinning events and to anyone we see spinning in clubs more as reminders than advertising.

Cass, don't worry. They'll be plenty of room for you to spin quietly in a corner somewhere. When there's 5 people spinning fire already nobody notices the little French girl at the back.

We can't promise no drummers, but there will be plenty of space to avoid them.

4,224 posts

Posted:
You're right, Dom I just get very shy and self conscious when it comes to spinning in front of strangers and so many great spinners and all... same thing happened to me in NYC when I was spinning with the ex-tribe of the Burning Sock (now called 1337) I know that self conscious people like me tend to be self centered and think that people have nothing better to do than sit and laugh at them. But anyway, my main goal is to meet people and relax and have fun. So you're right , as always

note to self : have to disagree with Dom everyonce in a while, just to see what it's like

I just realized also that I fear the crowd cause I am slightly agoraphobic as well, but that's no big deal.

Still very very happy about that meeting and whatis great is that it is outdoors in a parc so if one needs some paece and all, we can always go for a little walk around

shine on
Cassandra

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
If it gets too crowded the Sheffield crew can clear some space. A combination of Orange dancing, pk's unicycle poi and and my "inadvertantly" hitting people with my weapons of choice will soon make them move away.....

Meh

4,224 posts

Posted:
Cantus, do you think Orange can bring the relay gear to the gathering ?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
pk and Kato have his phone number. I haven't heard from him for ages. He's just a fast moving, slightly blurred, orangey memory to me at the moment.

Meh

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
1337??? Tribe of the Burning Sock sounds much better. Don't worry, this'll be a lovely, fluffy London crowd. Nobody ever judges, they just admire and comment nicely on styles and moves. If anyone gets judgemental I'm going to wrap my staff round where it'll hurt!

Agoraphobic? Now you tell us! We organise a big public event in the biggest open space in London, and NOW you tell us you're agoraphobic!

[ 19 April 2002, 22:29: Message edited by: Dom ]

Page: