Butterflymember
21 posts

Posted:
hey everyone...i'm (thankfully/finally) heading down to byron for the blues festival next week, and i was just wondering what the gatherings are like in the bay. i haven't been down since 2001 blues fest when i had just started to twirl so it was quite daunting but now i'm curious....theres twirling on the main beach isn't there? i remember sitting nearby and watching the twirlers, completely awestruck. i'm staying over at watgoes beach which is absolutely beautiful and i cannot wait to fire faery dance on wategoes come nightfall....it is so peaceful there....haha i'm already there hey! can anyone help me out? ahh byron bay blues fest....i can't wait to be back there. who else is going? anybody here? thanks guys, have a lovely night! ~peace~

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hey,Ohh I miss byron... you lucky girl, give my love to the place and catch one for me.LoveN

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Hey Butterfly, I might be going to Byron for the Seismic Chunk festival, which is about an hour from Byron itself.Not sure of details yet and if ill be heading towards Byron at all (im not driving a friend is) but if ya let me know when you will be around, when i get more details i will let you know!

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

kAte*member
15 posts

Posted:
i'm going to seismic chunk! *grins*its gonna be an awesome trek smile i cant wait... i hope to learn heaps of rad new poi stuff, in between having a mad lil doof!kAte*

Twisted_Pixienewbie
6 posts

Posted:
I live near Byron bay and if anyone is wanting to organise a spin me and my partner are there!!! PLEASE PLEASE organise something, i cant seem to find any events or any spinning groups around that spin at nite!!!

I miss Bondi full moon drumming! *Sob*

We kill all the caterpillars then complain there are no butterflies.

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
I shall probably be coming back through Byron on Monday or Tuesday before flying out of the GoldCoast on thursday
If you fancy a meet - make a suggestion and I shall try to make it
Peas

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'd miss Byron too if it would not have changed into a gold coast extension. Makes me sad to remember that ppl got booked 500 squids for choosing to sleep in their cars, rather than becoming a road statistic. The comment in the local newspaper: "If you have no accommodation, don't come to Byron Bay." Sad old cattle town it was, until the rainbow ppl came from Nimbin to take a bath... Now it converted from a cattle town into a cash cow... Just look at the arts factory lodge. Haven't come across more blatant greed than the one in Sein's eyes...

But how I miss the Blues and Roots festival, the local markets and the lighthouse, main beach spinning and Julian Rocks - indescribable.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Yep - I can relate Tom
I spent all my time in Mullum. Spent a few hours in Byron reliving the nightmares...I mean memories!! and exorcising some SOLAR Ghosts and it was time to leave!
Good luck with the Fest and give us updates if you have time
Peas and Respekt

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

sichaineyBRONZE Member
enthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
Oh the lovely Byron Bay!!!

Thats were I first saw fire spinning in 2002 performed by grace and Morgane her were the early version of Flame oz.
My advice if you spin is check into the arts factory... you will definately meet others spinners there plus they have fire shows at the buddha bar.

Can anyone tell me if SteveoExtremeo is still in Byron or how he's doing.

say simon said hi (english fire performer/fireman by trade...he'll know!)

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
There's some comments about Byron Bay in the Meet OThers section as well. Folks, if you travelled through there some years ago and have good memories.. hang onto them.. cos now it's

Written by: newgabe

Byron Bay is these days very much a tourist town... expensive and focused on fleecing transients, so that the formerly interesting local 'scene' is pretty much gone as people have moved away to more affordable and genuine places. Plus they are very strict on busking. If anything is going on it may possibly be at the Arts Factory, where sometimes there are workshops and circus/fire type performances in the bar/garden. Mind you you might luck in to a week when there's a whole lot of travelling fire folk in town and have a ball! Good luck.

Stevo Xtremo is still around the Northern rivers. Tends to break his bones a fair bit! He was on crew at Woodford Circadia this year, and was at 2UberOz too. He's on the DVD doing some funny stuff.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

sichaineyBRONZE Member
enthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
I take it that he's beaking his bones on his skateboard and not fire spinning!?
Its sad to hear Byron going that way, theres a programme in the UK called Australia Uncovered. They often go to Byron Bay... trouble is all they show is pissed up brits running out of coca manga's!!! WTF thats definately not the Byron I remember.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Mind you finding out the (hi)story behind the Arts Factory, the deprivation of Simba and the exploitation of fellow Artists for the sole purpose of generating money.

I wouldn't set a foot into these premises ever again, but for newcomers there might still be some spirit left...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink