Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Burning Man 2002- who's going? where? and how?

Login/Join to Participate

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Ok folks, I've bought my ticket now so I guess I'll have to go.... oh well, life goes on... winkWho else is going this year? where are you camping? who's performing for the night of the burn? where shall we meet for a spin? etc etc?...I need input. input input...Jo.[This message has been edited by Jo (edited 12 March 2002).]

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
I don't know where it is (somewhere west of here), I don't know when it is, I don't know how I will get there, where I will sleep, how long I will stay, what I will take, what I will do, or how I will get home...BUT I WILL BE THERE!!! WITH FLAMING F**KING BELLS ON!!!When I search and figure out the details, I will let you know. Or you can let me know, since this will be my first time. Are there any pre-requisits to spin out there, besides the obvious of fuel, wicks, gear, and want?------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

Tailsmember
16 posts

Posted:
i'm definatly going... unfortnuatly... i dont have a car lol.. so i suppose i'll just hitchike down like i always do... glowshow.. it's during labor day week and there isnt any pre-requisite to spin.. but i think if you want to be in the actual performance.. you have to be invited to do so... this will be my first year spinning out there.. so i dont rightly know... if they wont let us spin with everyone else... i'm going to do it anyway :Pwhen it gets closer to the actual date... we should work out some way of connecting once we all head out there-Tails

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Oh, well crap. That's a long way away! Hell, it will just give me more time to save up for a week of fire and debauchery! grin------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I'll be there, and most likely I'll be camping near Death Guild. I've been trying to scrape up enough money so that I can pay for things here and go a few weeks early and help DPW set up, but at the moment that seems unlikely frownGlowshow, go to www.burningman.com for all the little bits of info such as directions and what not. As it is the official website it will answer most questions you may have, including what to do if you get caught with, um.... "medications" wink You can also purchase tickets there.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Fire conclave participation:Interested in getting involved in the Fire Conclave? Contact Crimson Rose at crimson@burningman.com, or write to:Crimson RosePO Box 884688San Francisco, CA 94188 - 4688 I've sent an email, so should all of you! ps. There must be more than this going??? Comeon guys... make your minds up. Pele - you're going this year, right? You said you would so don't go breaking my heart winkJo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I think Nokomis is going. She doesn't post very much these days though.

Meh

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
A few friends and I have been talking about burning man for a few weeks now.. its def. being considered. That would be cool if I could light up for the first time out there...Anyone on the East side actually going to drive out there? or is flying a better idea?MATT------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

Nokomismember
27 posts

Posted:
Spinning during the burning of the man. Is not as easy as just taking your gear out and joining the Conclave. It won't happen as smoothly as it sounds. You have to send videos, get respectively in touch with Crimson, make it to the "Show her Salons" in the cities she drops by, & make it to the fire meets off or send videos if you are unable to attend for distance reasons. Also attend rehearsal meets before the man burns while on the playa.Crimson@burningman.com as to join the fire conclave list.I live in Sacramento 4 hours from the fest and two from San Fran. I will be driving out in my car, camping in my camp, and working with Fire Conclave & Earth Guardians.

Cometmember
1 post

Posted:
I was in the Fire Conclave last year, it is a lot of work and definitely worth it. It is a great privelege to be in the inner circle during the burn so be sure and contact Crimson if you feel strongly that you want to participate. Otherwise there are many opportunites to spin on the playa at other camps and events. Make the effort to go, it will change your life.Comet

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
I was in the Fire Conclave the last two years. You have to audition to get in the Los Angeles Fire Conclave, demonstrating good fire safety as well as skill and commitment to the performance. We plan to have a fire circle in our camp this year. Ours is an official theme camp: the Green Fairy Bar Camp. We will be on the map. There are guerilla burns all over the Playa at BM, and a come-all spin jam at sunset at the Cauldren every night, and the Thunderdome rocks with goth music and fire-spinning Death Guild members most nights. To be in special ceremonies, like the Burning of the Man, you have to go to rehersals all year long.See you on the Playa.Maximus

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
My friend Indigo runs with Death Guild. He's been trying to convince me and some of the people I spin with to get involved with Death Guild this year. I think it sounds like fun.

Jesus helps me trick people.

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Hey Jo,I'd like to meet you this year. Last year, I heard of you through Skunk (from NYC) and would have liked to hook up. I think the best place is the fire "spin jams" at the Cauldron every night. I was in the Conclave last year. It's a blast so spin amid this orgy of fire (more than 300 fire people last year!) and to be in the first rows to watch the Man go down.This year, I should be in there again with a chunck of my troupe.If anybody in the Greater Boston area is interested in being part of the Conclave, email me directly, I'm Crimson's contact for the area and will coordinate with her.Nomad------------------A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.Nwww.anthelion.org

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Word! That's next on my to do list.I was planning on buying or renting an old drop-top, packing a few things, and taking a 2-4 week Exodus from one coast to the other. As a spiritual experience. Burningman would be my final destination before I head back. Time to start planning and saving.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
it falls on a good date for me, as i'll be heading west. however! my ride could either drop me and my stuff in santa cruz, in which case i need advice on how to get there and back- or- i could be dropped there (but with or w/o my stuff?) and i still don't know how i'd get to santa cruz...... hmmm, anyone have any great ideas?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
i only heard of burning man a couple of months ago, and now i'm trying to figure out a way of getting there from london. i dont know anyone else whose going, but i will find a way. hopefully. if anyone knows someone whos going from london, i'd be gratefull if u could get in touch.

cheers.

May your staff spin fast and your poi always miss your balls.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to go this year, since my car has just cost me £800 for a new clutch, gearbox and MOT
I'm starting to save up for next year though, I'm not going to miss out again

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Got my ticket already as well. I will be camped either at the post office or with a bunch of Houstonites very near the Post office - directly behind I suppose, on outer ring road (somewhere around 8 o'clock center camp if it is at the same position this year as it was last year). Working/performing at the post office is a riot, you all should consider checking it out.

There was some talk about a Texas enclave performing during the burn this year. We certainly could field enough talent. I wonder what happened with that idea?

For those of you who have not been there, Burningman is an amazing experience. Don't bother with trying to figure out what to expect, because I promise you that any notion you get into your head about it, no matter how many first hand stories you've heard, will just be plain wrong.

Did you all see the fabulous April fools day joke about MTV and Burningman? Check out https://www.cnn.com@66.70.3.6/2002/SHOWBIZ/04/01/Music/MTV/
They really had me going there for a while. I about threw a first class fit when I saw that (being blissfully unaware that it was April first). They hadn't put up the hoax notice when I originally saw it.

-v-

[ 06 April 2002, 05:19: Message edited by: vanize ]

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
BTW, I found that while I was at Burningman, I hardly had the time to light my wicks. There was so much new stuff to check out with every waking minute (in which I still had any energyleft at all) that doing something I was already familiar with (like spinning poi) seemed like a waste of time. I only lit my poi twice, both times at the special request of new friends I had made out there. And spinning inside the perimeter on the night the man burns - well, lets just say that the desire to be well on my to being very wasted by then far outwieghs any urge to get lost spinning in a crowd of hundreds of other fire performers at the same time. I'm far too ego-centric to want to share center stage with so many others. Spinning at the burn is far too much responsibility at a time that I really want to let loose and be care free.

-v-

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Weazalmember
13 posts

Posted:
wI have no clue where I am gonna be camping this year but I will be there. Kyrian if you need any info on how to get to santa cruz from their I can help you out I live right by santa cruz.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
the second part of the issue, besides directions, is rides. I either have no ride back, or no ride there and no ride back, and i'm not hitchhiking alone, i'm not insane. (well, not that insane.) Thus suggestions along that line would be appreciated, I've never lived further west than TX so I don't know much about the west and the means of travel

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Ignis Devocomember
67 posts

Posted:
My whole group plus most of our students will be doing fire conclave this year and our base camp is Flight 2 Mars...

I hope to see some of you!!

Donia
Ignis Devoco Industrial Fire Circus
www.ignisdevoco.com

"Where there is sorrow, I seek the flame."
Rumi

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
I,ve always wanted to go to burning man, not sure if this year is a good option though, how good is it, because it looks amazing. Do many people hang around after the festival has finished?

The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.-- Ken Kesey

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
People do not stay after the festival. There is a huge exodus on Sunday following the night of the Burning of the Man. Most of the people leave then. Center Camp (with the invaluable coffe shop) gets taken down, and the street signs, etc. get removed, over the next two days.
A small band of workers live at 80 Acres, one of the original burn sites, all year around.
Official theme camps are allowed to arrive early, but people with regular tickets should try to get there Monday morning. The first big fire ceremony, the lighting of the cauldren, is Monday at sunset. Crimson uses a parabolic mirror to light a torch from the rays of the sun, then she lights the cauldren...firedancers rush forward and light their wicks. This fire burns throughout the festival and is used to to torch the Man at the end.
Go if you possibly can.

Maximus

nasumember
35 posts

Posted:
The best picture to describe burning man..

and words and this picture have NOTHING on the live thing...

[image]https://images.burningman.com/index.cgi?image=2944&q_year=2001&q_photog=&q_keyword=skydive&q_category=[/image]

That circle is 30k people, 2 mile diameter

nasumember
35 posts

Posted:
[image]https://images.burningman.com/index.cgi?image=2944&q_year=2001&q_photog=&q_keyword=skydive&q_category=[/image]

oops

nasumember
35 posts

Posted:
https://images.burningman.com/index.cgi?i...ive&q_category=

sorry for all the repeats here, but the silly paste in a link thing has a limiter on it.

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
hi to all
gotta be a quikie soz
one of my friends from the uk is thinking of going to burning man
2 questions -
1 -any tikets left and how much
2 -any people driving down from l.a. or s.f. who could give lifts fro petrol money
and at what dates
thanks in advance

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
I don't know about the current cost, but tickets will be sold at the gate for $250, and no tickets will be sold after thursday.
There's plenty of e-boards for rideshares. Go to the official site and find the right board and post there.
Our camp is the Green Fairy Bar Camp, located at Forecastle and 150. Firedancers welcome.
So far, Home of Poi junkies are planning to meet at the Man at dark on Tuesday.
The latest word is that it is 104 degrees in the day, and cool at night. No rain yet, but it is expected.

Maximus