Kosmik Lunatikmember
58 posts

Posted:
Hey guys what up, I want to get a tatoo and I want it to be related to my fire twirling, any ideas and what would you guys get. ThanxMatty Didjeridoos rock

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I design tattoos for a living so my suggestion would be something designed by me (for free of course wink).E-mail me and tell me what kind of dimensions/colours/whatever you had in mind (if any) and I'll take it from there.Personally I'd get something with a dragon theme - but then two thirds of my tattoos have that theme so I would guess I'm biased . . .------------------C@ntus

Meh

Code128member
69 posts

Posted:
Hey Lunatik, Are you in Mass USA?If your interested there's a group that gets together in the boston area to spin together, let me know. jbloom@bloomconstruction.com

------------------
A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.N

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Personnaly, I think you should design it yourself. It feels so great to have a tatoo that only you have and that IS you, know what I mean ? however, inorder to come up with what feels right on you, you just need to look around and find inspiration. that's when, if you are not totally into creativeness yourself, the help of people like Cantus for example can be great wink I mean people who'd listen to YOU and then take it from there, you know ?I know I am not helping with the design issue, but maybe you'll be happy if you come up with the idea yourself. Also think about where you want to have it, it is very important in many terms (who do you want to see it, what part of your body is more receptive, and... well... that's maybe a girly stuff but ... how's it gonna look in 40 years caue it sure is for life and needs to be on a spot where skin will not too much fade away or... fall down, you know ?Anyway, just some thoughts.Shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
It has taken me 8 years to find the design I wanted. i've always known what the design would be of but hadn't found perfection. I found the template for it last week and now just need to personalise it a bit.then I gotta find a sexy curve to put it on. smiletattoos are great, when done in style. and I agree that it must be poignant somehow for the wearer. I met this guy once who had a japanese symbol on his pec and he had no idea what it meant! I couldn't believe it - I mean, he could be marking himself as evil or something wink His response was that it looked good.I guess we all have different priorities. I'm personally not into the vanity of tattoos - I'm into the symbolism and individuality.------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I sport mine on my right hip. It can only be seen if I share it with someone. I designed it and when I add to it, well that design was done by me as well. My tatoo is something with a deep meaning for me, so instead of being art added to my body it is very much a part of me. I couldn't agree more that self designs, or if you can't draw, your idea honed to perfection by someone else is wonderful...and then unique as well. Also, make sure it is something enduring. I was thinking once of having poi stretched out with the handle intertwined at the small of my back and the flames at the top of my bum cheeks, but then I thought that I wouldn't see it and what happens *if* I am 50 and no longer in love wtih poi, you know? So I rethought it and chose something else.Anyway...my 2 bits!Good luck and let us know what you get!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Flash, I am happy for you, I know this excitement of the before-getting-the-tatoo phase and I miss it actually. It is wonderfull ! I know you look great, but trust me, do not pick any place that will be.. eeer... less sexy in 50 years, I mean, like breasts. Don't jump, it is just my opinion, some places tend to remain more "fresh" throughout the years winkThis japanese ideogramme story is hilarious. What if this tatoo that he finds so sexy just meant "mine is tiny tiny ..." ? lol it is true that Japanese kanji look great, but one should not forget they all mean something, and not only good or interesting things ...Shine on and keep us posted kosmik LunatikCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I see a lot of tattoos of Japanese/Chinese characters that don't mean quite what the wearers think they mean, or don't mean *anything* in idiomatic Japanese--they may be super-literal translations from English, and are basically meaningless. And sometimes the tattoo artist gets the character wrong--a lot of characters look very similar except for minor elements, but mean completely different things. It would be easy, for example to take the Japanese word "hiburi"--which means "fire swinging", and mistakenly substitute one element of one character, and wind up with a meaningless combination of characters that means "fire-pregnant."As a Japanese translator, it is a pet peeve of mine when people permanently mark themselves with characters they don't understand and that usually don't make sense.No tattoos here. I'm content with the marks that life leaves on me along the way.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey folks......just want to put my input in......I just got a tat....and damn did it not feel so good.....I mean it wasn't so bad except I was tense for the whole 1.5 hours and got a mega head ache.....Oh by the way head aches suck....but it was all worth it....beleive me....I got it on my upper back...right on the spine(ouch!)....and it is a dragon head with flames incorporated into it....the ears are flames....I have a pic of it on my web site.... www.flamingsphere.homestead.com ..click on pody art....oh by the way we are putting a power bootie section on the site, so any proud power bootie owners out the feel free to send me a pic(just the bootie now)at jonnyfive77@hotmail.com , come on don't be shy.....alright well my input has come to an end for now.....bye....signed.....JEDI WHITE(J.T.)

Code128member
69 posts

Posted:
Isnt it also true that if someone came to you and asked for a symbol from your culture that they were going to permanently display on their body and show off to lots of other people who will have no idea what it means, wouldnt you be just the least bit tempted to have some fun and give them something that didnt mean exactly what they thought it would.I have a couple of pieces myself and it took me a while to find what I wanted for my back, actually I couldn't find what I wanted so after a couple of years looking I commisioned an Artist to create my piece, then I had find a Tatoo Artist who had the neccessary skills to transfer a piece of Pen and Ink to simply ink on the medium of flesh. That took some time as well. Now I have a piece that should never be seen anywhere other than on my back or hanging on a wall in my home. (obviously the draft sketches exist somewhere) From what you post Kosmik I would suggest that you use the motion of the poi and the aspect of fire as a starting point. Then build from there. It is there forever as people are want to say.But is that really true anymore? ? ? Probably in 10 or so years if you actually did want to get rid of it you'll be able to buy a new piece of skin anyway. Yeah Stem Cell research.Code128

------------------
A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.N

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
I definately agree that you should design your own Inking. That's what I did with mine, I have a few Japanese characters on my lower back wich are the translation of my name into classical japanese. My tatoo means "He who paints with words" pretty cool huh? smile------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I want to get a tattoo in Japanese characters that translates into "He that can pee standing up"I need to go get mr Superman tatt touched up.------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Matty,Finding a tat is a journey in itself, one of self exploration and reflection. Once you've got your basic idea, I'd agree with Cantus who suggested you work with an artist who can customise your design to be exactly what you want. My artist is very adept at translating my ideas out of my head and onto my leg. He also has a better idea of how to incorporate my designs onto my skin so they fit the area well. Be flexible a good artist's advice is invaluable.Have a look through some tattoo magazines to see what's being done, what's possible etc. Tattoo mags are also good for deciding what you DONT like wink What style are you looking for (old school, new school, biomechanical, colour, grey work, tribal etc.)? Do you want custom work, or would you be happy with some flash? How big a peice do you want? Personally, I have a large snake on my left leg (wrapped around another snake and some symbols)that comes up to my knee. Incorporated into the design are alchemical symbols. Took me over a year to get it done, from obsessing over it, to actually having it done. I absolutely love the whole tattoo process from woe to go.Be bright, get tattooed.Ade[This message has been edited by Ade (edited 29 August 2001).]

Oottatmember
10 posts

Posted:
Kosmik, I have to agree with everyone else on this one.It's best to design your own. Out of all my tattoo's, the two I like the least are the two that I did not have a hand in designing.As far as idea's to help you on your tattoo journey...Go to your library and look up fire/Gods of fire/Poi?(don't know if this will be there)/etc. They should have some books with art and/or pictures to help you get your creative juices flowing.Hope this helps,Oottat------------------It's only funny until someone gets hurt.... Then it's a COMPETITION!!!

It's only funny until someone gets hurt.... Then it's a COMPETITION!!!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Ade - I did love your tattoo! So special and so brilliantly done. My design is also of a snake.Can you recommend a good artist in Sydney? I need someone that can do celtic work and help me refine size and placement.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Thanks flash, my artist did a top job for sure. Ahh snakes - gotta love them being an aussie and all. Regarding artists in Sydney, there are heaps. Some of the most respected Celtic tattooists work for Kiwi Kim's Celtic Dragon studio in Newtown. My guy's out at Campbelltown. I'm checking out Inner Vision in Surry Hills for my next one. Then of course there's the old school legends like Max Chater, Tony Cohen etc.But really, the way I found my artist was to check out a few studios and portfolios, until I found one I felt comfortable in, and where I could connect with the artist and he could understand my ideas. It was important that he had some Japanese tattooing background. I knew exactly what I was looking for in my art and in my artist. Sounds like after 8 years you've done a fair bit of thinking about the design, and now have to commission an artist. What fun!Ade[This message has been edited by Ade (edited 29 August 2001).]

Kosmik Lunatikmember
58 posts

Posted:
well Thanx so much for the input, your right, designing my own tat does have many benefits, I will probably talk w/ a proffesional about it too. And How I want to relate it to me will come sooner or later.Thanx Again and Ill tell you guys what I get as soon as its over.Peace

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
YAY!!!!! I got my first tattoo done last Saturday smile(for those of you who are sick of me talking about it, sorry!)I'm absolutely 100% stoked with it! Its perfect in every way and I love having it more than I anticipated.I was freaking out about the pain factor, but it really wasn't so bad. Just a very uncomfortable hot scratching sensation.Dangerboy came along and took some pics with his digi cam. When he uploads them, I'll send a link so you can all have a look.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
I would think fire poi people might be more into branding maybe cut out some cool design from a sheet of metel and put it on the bottom of your wick in the middle of a show slap the hot little bugger on your chest or something that will have meaningmight mean your an idiot but on the seriuos side like someone said ink will always be with you i have a tribal waist band on my back took me 6 yrs to design itthe center piece was done true to the form of tribal tattos which were a sign of courage and man hood they did it with a hollow bores tooth and a mallet after 4 hrs of that i desided i wasnt that much of a man and had the wings done with a gunamd like some one already said it is in a place where it can be covered if i so choose it if you do your back or spine it is kind of neat how the pain works you dont really know where the arist is working during mine if felt like he was doing the big toe on my right foot < laughs > then again maybe im not all there too------------------I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
hey Kosmic and code: Where in mass are you guys? I'm up here in southern NH and I am looking for other spinners to meet up with at some time.. are you guys into the rave scene at all? I venture to western Mass occasionally for parties at the Asylum. send me an email mivillma@nhc.eduMatt

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Riz - I would rather like a brand, but unsure how to get it done, safety and how lasting it is.Does here anyone have a brand??

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Stumember
16 posts

Posted:
Hey BendyI was thinking of one as well. They are pretty perm - although the definition starts to go.Check out www.perforations.com for some top information including someones account of getting a brand.Burn baby burn.------------------~ Don't think you are, Know you are ~Stu ;)

~ Don't think you are, Know you are ~Stu ;)

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Perhapse Cantus would like to help design one for moi, as (alas) I have little skill with a pencil.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Email me Mr Puppy (and anyone else who's interested) with whatever colours, dimensions, styles, part of the body you had in mind. Also any vague sketches you can do for me or drawings/pictures ripped out of magazines/whatever you think might be relevant. Everyone else who has contacted in the last few days. I'm on it. Please follow whatever instructions I gave you in your emails and I will have something for each of you very soon.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I have a brand by the way. It was meant to be an A but it didn't work all that well. I've had it for about 7 years I think. It looks pretty much the same now as it did then.Oh and Puppy. I'm not that good with a pencil either. Don't worry about it.With a Bic rollertip I'm blinding. But I'm sh!te with a pencil.....

Meh

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I've been playing about with tattoo desings for a while but have been putting off the actual tattoo til i'm a bit older and also til I find the perfect design and decide where to have it done.I don't think it matters whether you design it yourself of someone else does it for you as long as it is personal to you and something you will always feel comfy with.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
my tattoo involves fire spinning..it started with the family tattooa celtic style pentacle on my anklethen i turned legal age and i was supposed to put something that means alot to me around it my mom got roses..i got a ring of fire around mine.. its cool cause he used all color no black lines in the fire.. the ring isnt a compleat circle..so you can kinda see the fire head..id put a pic up but i dont have any uploaded i properly.. next time

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Tattoo's are a very personal thing. I love mine, and they all mean something special. Thats the thing I think. There are alot of people I know that had things done because they are cool, which is ok if u like that kind of thing. There was this girl I knew, she was only 14 but had about 4 tatoos. crazy they were all of singers out of bands though (danny filth and marylin manson are the only 2 I can remember) oh dear!------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Wow! I come back from nearly a month away, and HOP'ers are getting tattooed, peirced, whacked with beaming poi, attacked by normal poi, staffs have become possessed by the devil....Good to see nothing's changed. smileI've also got another tat since this thread started, so it was nice to see this thread revived.Flash - so, what did you get, where, and who did it? Details...... How much can I cram into one post?Lets see....The total fire ban in NSW was lifted at midnight last night!!! woo hoo...

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
hey there!theres a pic of my tattoo at this link..https://communities.msn.com/PoiStaffandallthingsfirey/haleyspics.msnw?Page=Lastthe others beside it are of me.. *lol*

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.