Page: ...
PyroSpheremember
6 posts

Posted:
Alright now I am calling out all the players.......who is sending in their footage for the new compilation video competition thing? just wonderring what I am going up against.......come on now people, don't be shy....I need some competition.....hope you all have been practicing hehe.........J.T.

AHHH TRY NOT, DO OR DO NOT BE STRONG YOU MUST---;)YODA(;

JEDI WHITE AKA JTmember
29 posts

Posted:
Hey girls.....I know I have been talking a lot of shi_ the last week or so, but don't worry......we got a bunch of new videos on the web site.... www.flamingsphere.homestead.com ..in the top 20 section.........kind of a preview of what I am sending Malcolm for the contest.....we filmed them all the same night......ohh ....by the way.....Xeada....I loved your footage in circles of light.....and I do really hope to see all of you girls on the next one.........(falling asleep on the keyboard)......I gotta go......I've got a lot of love for you girls.....don't forget this........JEDI WHITE(J.T.)

hesitation+fire=death

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Hi Xaeda! Just wanted to say you rock, I watched all your videos, and I hope to learn from them..I have my video done already, I'll be sending it soon, but somehow I have a feeling I'm going to be humbled..I can show up most of the people in my little town, but when I compete with all you experts, I'm gonna look like an amateur.. oh well, at least I didn't drop it! smiledoes this discourage me? Hell no, I'm happy just to have made the video!

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Xaeda!!! Woman!!!! I am so thrilled to see you back woman! I trust your break was a great one! And more video footage...I wait with baited breath.Cassandra, I will email you about the fireballs.Well, *sigh* My arm has been twisted into it. I am sending in a video for the competition or CoL2 or whatever malcolm deems worthy. Never fear, poi only and nothing terribly technical I must say but I have my own funky thing going on so.... rolleyes------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Damn, so twirling naked wont getme any brownie points?*grin*

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I could make mention of 'brown eye' points, but that would be immature and remind me too much of my dad's sense of humour, so I won't. grin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
;-)heh, I'm flattered, but to be honest I haven't practised for a while and I'm sure you'll all very deservingly kick my arse smile Still, this vid is a good excuse for me to make myself practise so i can at least send in something interesting, if not competition-winning. interesting is all i'm aiming for smileBy the way, I loved the circles of light video, lots of funky stuff going on there. especially the guy with the sheets, that was just incredibly original and really graceful.....i was amazed........and if i had a little less dignity i would *so* steal the idea ;-) heehee, don't worry, i won't. and the first group, what an amazing location to film at! Sorry, not sure what your names are.....I don't have a tv so I've only watched it once. I guess you probably noticed that my bit was just an extract from one of the vids our wonderful malcom filmed of me when i was in Christchurch.....he asked me and I was more than happy for him to stick it on the vid with the rest. funny though....everybody else was looking smiley and enthusiastic while I looked like i'd just rolled out of bed and was apathetically doing some stuff with a big stick, facing away from the camera, doing moves sloppily. heh, i'm ashamed, those vids of mine seem to portray a pretty crappy attitude that wasn't evident in anyone else's. it was entirely unintentional.....as i remember i'd been on an overnight bus, had my wallet stolen, was attempting to stay awake with serious anaemia......heh, I was just a big of a mess. anyways, i'm off into rambling territory now, as usual, basically i think my point was to apologise if i accidentally portrayed a crappy attitude and to congratulate all the rest of you who looked great! Pele.....big hugs to you! golly, 1048 posts, you're burning up the keyboard girl! sadly my absence from here is pretty much permanant.....i just don't have time to spend several hours a week checking the boards here, and I'm trying to keep my computer time down so my RSI doesn't come back......trust me, losing the use of your hands is *awful*! but I do try to pop my head in now and then, just to see how you're all going. I was sad to see some flames (no pun intended, i'm talking about the occasional nasty posts and egotistical arguments) creeping into the board. please don't let this happen guys! there does seem to be a gradual evolution of all internet communities, they start small and personal and gradually become bigger and more diverse and cliques develop and the 'old-timers' start to laude it over the newbies. I just hope this place stays as lovely and friendly as it has been since day one..... Jedi - since Flash passed the 'staff lady' mantle thoroughly undeservedly to me, I'll just say I think your style sounds great, just as everyone elses does. it's good to be able to bring other skills and ideas in to develop your style, it should be a personal thing that is unique to you regardless of how much you practise or how many 'moves' you know ( i use quotation marks cause i can never distinguish individual moves.....for me it's just a flow, doing the thing i do). I once taught a guy who was pretty much a beginner in staff but had done Aikido for years. In two hours he had learnt everything I could teach him and was making up tricks of his own and teaching them to me! although I had to teach him *techniques*, he had his own *style* inside him before he even picked up a staff. in comparison, my style tends to be quite dancy, sometimes acrobatic, occasionally annoyingly prissy, and a lot of that comes from my background in gymnastics and my childhood love of prancing around like a twit. that's my 'style', i guess. I know a few people who probably wouldn't do too well in the silly one-upmanship of listing all the tricks you can do......they don't know very many if you try to count them up. but they are beautiful to watch because of their style.....it balances out their slightly simpler techniques. I don't know what malcom's looking for with judging, but I can say that his decision will be incredibly difficult! and I know if i had to make that kind of decision, it would probably come down to some vague 'vibe' type thing......who seemed like they were having the most fun, who seemed passionate about what they were doing, who seemed like they were innovating and trying new stuff. anyways, basically what I'm saying is that this comp is just a great chance to share our own styles with each other, and there's no real way to say that someone is the "best". last of all, before i stop ranting and raving........i think we should all try to give up the notion of even wanting to be the 'best'. partly because there's no such thing, and partly because it takes the focus off of innovating and enjoying yourself, and puts the focus onto others - trying to be better than them instead of just trying to learn more and teach more. sometimes when we get into that state of mind it's really hard to allow someone else to be better than you......and that just breeds nastiness. of course this is different from friendly "bet ya can't do this" conversations that help everyone learn, just gotta see the diff smilegolly, what a lot of rambling, i fully apologise if none of this makes sense tomorrow. i have a tendancy to rant, it's not really at anyone in particular. anyway, my hands are complaining so I'd better go now. see you on the video!xaeda the soapbox girl------------------the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Pele... you're in ? YAY smile cool !whoever twisted your arm into sending the video is a great person... WB maybe ?Anyway... just reading all of you are going to be in, i am just really looking forward to the next C.O.L. video. I might say "Let the best one win" but I don't really beleive in "the ultimate best one " concept when it comes to firedancing.I might say "Let the most naked one win" but Frenzie just ruined all my hopes winkSo just looking forward to this video anywayshine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Wow, well said Xaeda..and Malcom, I already made my video, it's 4 min long, I just cut out the best 4 min and decided to send that to you..I have another tape with all the spinning, about 45 min or so, but it includes such crap as my neighbor coming over and stepping on the speaker wire, cutting out the awesome song I was spinning to right at the climax. *sigh* oh well..you'll get my 4 minutes, I'm going to mail it today.. I don't even know where New Zealand is really, so I'm giving it a long time to get there!------------------~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
*le sigh*im really not good at compeating for anything really. I sit back and think of how much kevlar I could get.. and new toys.. i sit here and drool almost everyday over the shop and what new neat toys they have..my ususal philosophy is Teaching Tolerance instead of competition. as freaked and hypocrited out(is there such a word?)i might just have to bite this one and tkae my sweet chance at humiliation... grinso at leased when you guys send your vids in you know youll beat someone wink------------------A Faeries Heart Beats Fierce and Free!!!!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I think that very few of us are actually entering the competition to prove anything. It's more of a refined display, IMO.I'm entering it simply because I want to share what i do with other artists and show em how I do my thang. I know I won't win - I don't have any fancy moves or kickass routines. But I do have a unique style and the fact that our entries will probably be compiled to make a new video is my main motivation for sending in a tape.(I also have a very slight delusional glimmer of hope that i'll end up with $350 worth of new stuff as a reward for my efforts smile )------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I honestly don't think I'll win but it's worth a shot to get some free stuff. Who knows maybe hell will freeze over and "Myst" will be crowned king. It's a long shot but I'm down.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Yeah that's exactly how I feel too, I doubt I'll win, but it'll be nice to just show y'all how I spin..and I'll probably at least get a spot on the video.and who knows, maybe I'll win..Still haven't sent my video, I'm psyched to show it to all my friends, I actually think it's pretty good, synced to the music, and fluid the whole way through..We shall see.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Definitly going to be some strong competition. I sent in our videos (J.T., WMF, and Flamingsphere's aprentices) yesterday. So we will see. I don't really expect to win either. The main reason we sent the videos was so we would have a chance to make it onto the compilation video again and have another slice of what us hill billies like to call "international fame" cake. "MMMM forbiden dounut" -Homer Simpson

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Hi all, long time no talk...Just thought I'ld tell you that I won't be entering this time. Here's the reasons:for the last 3 months I've been counselling in a summer camp in Wisconsin, US with inner city kids (they were hard work!). Because of this I haven't spun all summer (except for a little at the Burning Man) hence, no new moves. I also have no new toys to show off so there is no point in me entering. I don't want to enter just for a chance of winning, as was mentioned by others, I only enter to share/showcase new moves/styles/combos and since I have none, I won't enter. I'll certainly buy the video to see you guys in action though (I haven't even seen the first one yet cos I'm still in the US!).Here's some irony for you... When I get home I'm thinking about being a firefighter (chuckle) fireman by day, fire performer by night - I wonder if that's ever been done before???seeya,Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Hey Malcom, my entry is on it's way..Te guy at the post office said it could take 10 days to 3 weeks to get there..(3 weeks would be sept 30th)I could have sent it courier but it would have cost me about $80 so I decided to take my chances..anyway, it's recorded on a video tape that Nintendo sent me a long time ago of Donkey Kong Country or something..Let me know when you get it, I'm curious to see if and when it arrives in New Zealand.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
bummer Jo, you are like one of my heroes on the last compilation cool . It's all good though, glad you are doing something good like helping kids! I promise there are going to be some new moves on this next one...especially if WMF makes it onto it. smileDaniel Tyler"Wrap Master Funk"

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Well that's good, thanks Malcom.I'm pretty sure I won't win the competition video, but I hope to at least get on the compilation..the video quality isn't that great though.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Cool, my vid arrived today..have many others came in?

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Kewl..care to elaborate on how many poi, how many staff?

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
thanks very much for that Malcolm. No doubt everyone will appreciate it grin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Malcom, in case anyone forget to tell you: your a legend!!!

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
thanks a lot. that really helps. now i can take my time and do it right. grin

anyone got a light?

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Sweeet! thanks malcom. I was worried my tape wouldn't get there because of the tragedy. It ended up getting there well ahead of time anyway, but I'm sure some peoples wouldn't have.that's very cool of you to do that.of course now the competition will probably get a lot tougher.. oh well, that's a good thing, I'd like to see as many people in the competion as possible.. hmm, maybe I will get the 'ol video camera out and record some of my friends.. grin------------------~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
well, i may not be able to enter after all. unless i can do it tonight. fat chance. i guess the prez of US gave the word tonight and we will be gone soon enough.

anyone got a light?

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Its going to the best 5 minute max of one routine isnt it? Not like 5 minutes spread over a few different times?

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Thanx Malcolm.Just thinking that i might send along some other twirls for consideration for the video, cause we did some twirling under the harbour bridge, so that is in the background and also the opera house and it looks kinda cool!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
personally, my money on Jo D but we aren'y allowed to bet...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
having said that - i'm not sure he's entering... Hmmm, well that was my pointless contribution

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Chotysmember
91 posts

Posted:
Hey,i only heard of this competition a few days ago, how often do you have it? Every year or what? By the sounds of things the competition is a little tough and i think i'll sit this out and see who wins but good luck everyone and i'll be in on the next one!catch ya l8r:Chotys:

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Durbs, jo isn't entering the competition this year frownbut plenty of amazing ones are if you read this thread carefully. shine oncassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Page: ...