Page: ...
tjoniBRONZE Member
116 posts

Posted:
Calling all firetwirlers drummers and dancers, or anyone wanting to learn the above.We are starting up a weekly gathering in Fitzroy area to share above skills with thoughts to starting up a troup to perform in Melbourne area in 2002. Beginners welcome as we can teach you!Expressions of interest most welcome. Happy New Year!

ubblove **edit August 2004** ubblove

Hello and welcome to any new fire friends visiting this thread! To save you reading through 30 pages of sturf, our weekly gathering is;

ubbloco Wednesday; Gathering at Edinborough Gardens, St Georges Rd, Nth Fitzroy, about 8pm onwards.

There is also a Sunday gathering at St Kilda. Check :St Kilda, Melbourne, Australia, posted by Footbag, for details.

All welcome!- beginners, experienced, spectators, drummers, and anyone else keen to check it out, come say hello! We don't bite but we do burn... wink

XXOO

[ 01. February 2003, 19:15: Message edited by: tjoni ]

I'm out of my mind...but you can leave a message

If you remain calm while all around you is collapsing...possibly you are missing something

Neuroticmember
12 posts

Posted:
Hey there,

Silly me - just read the post - is it still occuring every wednsday?

If so.. this ipcoming wednsday?

...Hmnn.. I normally train kung fu on a wednsday night.. but i could always wander down afterwoulds...

I've pretty much been solitary poi twirling for the past 3 years or so been looking for some company for ages!

Mark

tjoniBRONZE Member
116 posts

Posted:
heyja neurotic,
yep would love to see you on wednesday night...we'll be going for as long as the weather allows and after that..I'm still trying to organise an outdoor undercover area to twirl during the dark and stormy nights!
If anyone has any ideas on venues close to town and wallet-frienly I'd appreciate your input.
Hope to see you all Wed night
Cheers
XXX tjoni

If you remain calm while all around you is collapsing...possibly you are missing something

Neuroticmember
12 posts

Posted:
Well should be about 27 or so on Wed...

So you should see me down there.. I'm in the city until 7:30... so that works out really well.

Of course, weather permitting

Pity none of my other friends twirl.. so I may very well have to come down all on my selfsome

Catch you wed.

Mark

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Pity none of my other friends twirl.. so I may very well have to come down all on my selfsome
Neurotic, that may be the case for now, with with a little persuasion and a lot of hypnosis, they'll all be twirling on wednesdays!
You'll come for the twirling and stay for the bear trap! No wait, that didn't sound right...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

mr_swanksmember
3 posts

Posted:
heya... its michael from confest... might get my act together and come down to the gardens this wednesday... shannon said hes interested too, so might see u guys there.... cyas

tjoniBRONZE Member
116 posts

Posted:
hip ya!
the more the merrier! hope to see you all soon!
does anyone have any drums coz we really need more noise.thanks luvvies.XXX

6,978 posts

Posted:
I have a drum. Drum skills are another matter..
PSsst! Senore Swanks-from-confest! tell Shannon that i have his Devil-stix-set-from-confest! he left them and they ended up in my car cos i sprained me knee (long story) and thoughtful campmates thought those toys were mine. ah gee it's pat my bedtime and i have to turn off the modem befo- ....................zz

Neuroticmember
12 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Bender_the_Offender:
Neurotic, that may be the case for now, with with a little persuasion and a lot of hypnosis, they'll all be twirling on wednesdays!

>laughs< yes well.. a LOT of hypnosis would be in order...

I can see the conversation already...

"You want me to drive all the way up to Fitzroy WHY....?"

I love my friends - however we are a RATHER diverse group of people

Mark

6,978 posts

Posted:
Indeedly hypnosis would be phun - but difficcult to perform! - for one i lack the required wacky moustache and accent.
Cyas tonite if ya can make it!!

Stevilmember
18 posts

Posted:
Can't wait for tonight at Edin.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Neuroticmember
12 posts

Posted:
Umn..

whoops.. didn't manage to show up.. too much uni work to do ... damn stuff

Was a really nice night too...

Mark

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
well, all this talk about gatherings in melbourne.. but what if you're from canberra??? does anyone know anything about the twirling scene in canberra? im extremely new to twirling, and i openly thank all who introduced me to it..

Fire... A bushmans telly

6,978 posts

Posted:
Sarah, every journey begins with but a step.
these steps usually span the distance between this seat and a car seat

Not alot of good am i?

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
I was at confest, put a post in the easter confest thread and it seems to have died as there havn't been any replies. Oh well on another note I've been meaning to get down to edi gardens 4 a while but um well yeah soon very soon i'll c u there, problem is I've got school thurs mornings and no fire on the tues night gatherings so it'll be most likely a friday when and if I can get my act together.
I'm in the same boat as bender when it comes to the drums, equipment-yes skill-no
Do any of u go out to the eltham gathering?
I'm starting to piece together a few more names of this board that I missed at confest, so how many of u were there and what toys did u do?
P.S. I was doing poi, staff (single and double) and devil sticks, all on fire.

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

tjoniBRONZE Member
116 posts

Posted:
hey sarah, why don't you post a new thread for canberraburnians or check 'meet others' for twirlers in your area?
hija jester-which night are the eltham gatherings? I used to live there and need an excuse to get back to the trees I was at confest also-mainly setting my hair on fire more than anything else!(and single & double staff in between)
There's also a regular confest reunion at St Kilda in the park next to Luna Park and opposite Mc Chucks.. every second Saturday with heaps of great twirlers and drummers so next one is coming up this week! Lots of fun yay!! (You don't have to be a confest junkie to join in the fun!
Take care my lurvly firebugs xxoo

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
The Eltham gatherings were set to be on the 2nd and 4th Friday of each month, seeing as the Edi gardens one is on the 1st and 3rd, maybe since some months have a 5th friday we could organise another lacale for them?
Pity, that means St Kilda and Eltham are on at the same times
One thing I can think of that I didn't see anyone else doin at confest was btb with fire devil sticks, might help identity wise
Cya's round maybe

tjoniBRONZE Member
116 posts

Posted:
St Kilda's on Saturday, not Friday, so you can twirl your little heart out all weekend!

6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by JeStEr:
so how many of u were there and what toys did u do?
Um do you remember the guy that kept ... laughing during his fire set on the Sunday night? He needs counseling!

/makes a silly face involving expoed eyelids and gums.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
so how many of u were there and what toys did u do? Talk about putting the pressure on

ConFest: Well, Ok here goes. I was there and I spotted Tjoni's nice sign, but like JeStEr said in the other thread, for one reason or another, I just didn't make it to the meet-up/camp site. I thought I would recognize Bender by his acrobatic style, but I didn't sight him (went to bed early Sun night). I haven't heard from Rain since before Christmas, but I think quite a few of the Eltham crew attend ConFest.

At ConFest, I played with single staff, poi and glow stix (when fuel was scarce). I also do clubs, and had a go with a borrowed pair, but I'm not very good. Btw, did anyone have a go with those electo-glow-type staffs that some guy was handing out? I thought look great, and they were really easy to use.

I mostly spin in the isolation of the backyard, so just being able to get into the ring and dance to all the great drumming was a real buzz. I especially liked twirling late at night when there was plenty of room and you got a chance to swap toy's and meet people.

I met this guy (Tim, I think) Monday night. He looked like a dancer, and had these amazing poi. They had really light loops that you held with one finger. They felt like they were on rubber bands when you spun them, and were a real contrast to my heavy ball-chains.

ConFest was a bit of a milestone for me this year as I brought my first fire stick and started twirling last Easter, and I'm not alone here.

One of my best memories of ConFest this year was seeing how some people have improved during the last 12 months. I recognised a girl from last year because I can remember her saying something like "I can't really use fire chains, I just like to dance with them". Boy, has she been practicing. She certainly knows how to spin now, and I was really impressed by her moves and body-work. One regret was not thinking to complement her.

Fire Jams: I live in the sticks and don't get to Melb that often, but I will down soon. So, I was wondering if you guys are absolutely sure that the Eltham and Edinburgh gardens fire jams are still on Friday nights? Otherwise, I might catch up with the HOPers at St Kilda, St Andrews or somewhere.

Btw, I met some great people at ConFest and told heaps of people about HOP. I hope that at least a few have made it here because you can just learn so much on this site. Thanks Malcolm. Cheers

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

***peteSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
i can make it to the gardens tonight so please be someone there or i might have to go to juggle jam. i have also found a place out my way where you can by kero from the pump for 99 cents a liter. so when i get some money i might be able to bring down 10 liters.

cya all tonight

SabineGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
Hi Sarah,
Canberrians meet around 8pm in the chess pit, Civic on Friday nights.
Sabine

mr_swanksmember
3 posts

Posted:
aye... i should be there... unlike last time

6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Stone:
I thought I would recognize Bender by his acrobatic style, but I didn't sight him (went to bed early Sun night).....
..... Btw, did anyone have a go with those electo-glow-type staffs that some guy was handing out? I thought look great, and they were really easy to use.
Mua ha ha h ha. heya stone! can you guess what's funny about the above statements? (aside from here being n 'z')??
I was so blissed out at confest that i didn't constantly talkeatbreathethink twirling the whole time - i was sooo happy this easter that the community there is the basis by which I compare all others, including families. You understand too, as you were there! yay

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Ha, Bender it must have been me then. I get pretty self-conscious twirling in public and it's all a bit of a blur now. But, yeah for sure the Easter confest was tops. One of the best I've been too.

Now, this might be obvious, but I need to ask a few questions for clarification. What time do the confest reunions in St Kilda start? And, if there is one on this weekend (the 20th of April) that’s the third Saturday in April.

So, every second Saturday means every second Saturday, and not the second Saturday in each month, which would have been the 13th April.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

tjoniBRONZE Member
116 posts

Posted:
Heyja stone, yup this Saturday 20th is correct for St Kilda confesty twirly thingy. Yip Ya!Hope to see you all there!XXXX

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks tjoni. If I'm in Melb for the weekend I will check it out for sure. Look for the girl with burnt hair, right

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Hopefully I'll make it down on saturday to
cya's

tjoniBRONZE Member
116 posts

Posted:
If I still have hair by the weekend I'll be a happy chickadee!!

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
That was a good night, saw a few people I know, might come down earlier next time and take a few rides at luna park just before doing a spin

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I was there (St Kilda) for a short time around 9:00 pm, and only managed a few twirls before my friends started complaining, and I had to go. Seemed they were expecting chi and sumosa's, grrrrr, pissed off or what. Didn't spot anyone from the board, but recognised a few faces from confest. I'm was the guy with the mop of hair (used to be black, used to be wavy) wearing a long sleeve black top.

I'm glad I made the effort to attend, but I had an average night and ended up by doing this disastrous club routine. Not to worry, as often happens after fire jam's, I got home and busted out a heap of moves. Anyway, it was great to get to the fire meet, even if only briefly. Next time. Cheers

Page: ...