Page: ...
PyroSpheremember
6 posts

Posted:
Alright now I am calling out all the players.......who is sending in their footage for the new compilation video competition thing? just wonderring what I am going up against.......come on now people, don't be shy....I need some competition.....hope you all have been practicing hehe.........J.T.

AHHH TRY NOT, DO OR DO NOT BE STRONG YOU MUST---;)YODA(;

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I hope YOU'VE been practicing lol :PWatch out for 2 vids from Edmonton, AB Canada.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I'll just shut up for this one.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
My plan is to send one in. I've got a small amount of footage so far, but I'm having trouble getting together with my video man, and I think he's going to leave in the middle of September frown We'll see what happens.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Bring It On! --- you dirty ratts smile You too J.T. ...I know I'VE been practicing, let's see what you all got. I super-dupper-mega-sucked when we filmed for the last video compilation (about four months ago). But now...It's Mr. Nasty time. I've learned some STUFF in the 9 months since I started swinging poi. Sending video in a few days... Signed "Wrap Master Funk"Daniel Tyler

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
alright Mr. Funk....you got it....I got a got a big ol' flaming can of kickin' your as_, and I just got a new can openner......in other words BRING IT....oh I am sure Joe Derry has got some shi_ for you to see as well......well I hope he does anyway.....I mean in my eyes he totally rule the last video(way to go Joe).....waiting to see some new moves from everyone......and if there is an award for most improved.....it would have to be me.....I mean I don't even know how I got on the last video.....but a big THANX go's out to Malcolm for putting me on there....anyway I am going to stop now for I must save some trash talkin' for later.......signed... JEDI WHITE(J.T.)

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Ok J.T. You got a can opener, BUT did you remember your lighter? LOL Sure hate to see you trying to light your poi without one... tongue HAH! smile HMMM, Jo Derry, he's the man. But, if Pozzey sends in a video Jo might have some seriouse competition (Where you at Pozzey?). And I need to second John's motion, Jo Derry Rocked the last compilation (and Galager, and Michael, and Dangerboy, and Flashfire), And don't let me forget the girls (all of the girls rocked)....did I mention Flashfire? wink If Jo has improved as much as I have we are all in deep shi_. Oh well, there is still the staff section right? Speaking of which....Dear Judges: What if I have a poi/staff run (poi in one hand, staff in the other), does it qualify for poi or staff, or both? could I win both with one run? Probly wouldn't be fair to do so... we'll see... And what about Insane Monkey Girl, that staff she had in "CoL" with the poiz on the end of it, what would that qualify as? Just thought I'd tickle your brain a little... Peace Love Fire"Rap Master Funk"Daniel Tyler

JEDI WHITE AKA JTmember
29 posts

Posted:
I guess we are few and far between......this had might be a short video.....come on people......rise up and give me a thread......who is ready for this thing us hill billy's call international fame.....I know I am.......let's get some footage sent to our good buddy malcolm.............signed.......JEDI WHITE(J.T.)

hesitation+fire=death

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Sorry guys. You asked who is and I will tell you who isn't....me. Just don't feel up to par so I am going to sit this one out!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
::remains mysterious::------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
ahhh, what the hell count me in. i guess i have to go and buy a video camera now. by sept 30 th right, i got time. should be fun to do any ways.

anyone got a light?

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Hmm...this sounds kinda fun, although the whole concept of competing sounds silly... I'm still down for twirling some staff and winning some dough..but I don't have a video camera.. hmm, time to call grandpa up..I guess sending in blurry little mpegs won't cut it eh?One question as to style, does using 2 staffs at once disqualify you from the staff competition?

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
I dont expect to win. In fact I know I wont. but I am gonna submit an entry anyway smile

I smell something burning.

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
My Grandpa says he will shoot some video of me, so I guess I'll enter this contest..course it's gonna cost me, I have to buy a new battery for his camera, a video tape, and pay shipping charges...speaking of which where do I send this thing?

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
I found the competion page, and have had my questions answered..

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

JEDI WHITE AKA JTmember
29 posts

Posted:
alright people......It's going down....I am doing a back hand sprign with the long staff......not to mention a front hand spring off of two little metal boxes.....I heard that you can have five minutes of staff AND five minutes of poi.....you people better get to crackin'.....times runnin out...............may the force be with you all.............JEDI WHITE(J.T.)

hesitation+fire=death

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Wow, sounds like I am up for some stiff competition..here's a question..what if my video is longer than 5 minutes? will they just judge up till the 5 minute mark? or am I automatically disqualified if it's 5:01?are there any criteria they judge on? like speed, difficultly, fluidity etc?or is it just overall "wow factor"------------------~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
hey RL - maybe you should post that question in the Competition Questions thread, so malcolm can answer it quicker.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

JEDI WHITE AKA JTmember
29 posts

Posted:
I think it is the "ass kickin' factor"

hesitation+fire=death

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Oh my goodness, your joking, right Jedi White? I knew about the front handspring, but a back handspring, ok, I'm going to go check my messages now, I'm going to be hurt if you didn't call me before you posted this new move. I'd better get of my butt and practice some more for tommorrow's taping...I'm not the judge, but I tend to agree with Jedi White...probly gona be the ass kickin factor cool

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
MalcolmAdministrator Posts: 285From: Christchurch, New ZealandRegistered: Dec 2000 posted 16 July 2001 11:16 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Myst,Judging for me in the competitions was based on things like Fluidity of Movement, Passion, Energy, Choreography, Rhythm of Movement, Skill, Variety. If you have all the above and swung a plain old sock on a string you would get my vote. If your sock had a glow stick in it or was on fire it would not be rated any higher or lower. I remember a quote it goes like "it's not what you got but what you can do with it" this can be adapted to many things in life .

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Flash, Baby don't pick on me for no reason here. That's an old post.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
wasn't picking on you hun. smilejust posted those details so people would have a better idea on what the judges will be looking for...Basically saying that you need to be a good allrounder in order to win - super technicality and flashy moves won't necessarily win, nor will extreme sex appeal. dammit.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Well.. wow factor and ass kicking factor are about the same to me..But I don't like those big fireballs, I can do them(and they are ass kicking and make you go wow), but their so easy, and they just fling all the fuel off your staff anyway..Maybe I will move the question over, I just thought this thread was getting more action so I should post it here.------------------~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

JEDI WHITE AKA JTmember
29 posts

Posted:
so flash, you are saying that I can do all the tripple back flips, but if it is not fluid then you wouldn't give me credit for just that........I can understand, but give credit where credit is due.......some of my moves, like when I set up two steel boxes sid by side and (using the staff)run up and do a front hand spring off of them, are starting moves......really I have found no way to go into it so it is just going to be a starting move.......but I come out of it right into a front cross over......it is just not a mid run move like the one handed front hand spring..and the back hand spring.......oh yeah and what about kung fu.....I do lots of kicks.....how d you judge that?.......I do pass the staff under my legs in over half of my kicks thoughso it is not a total waste although it is hard to tell sometimes that I am actually passing the staff under my legs.....I guess what I am saying is that my style is much more acrobatic and kung fuish than most people.......is this a good or bad thing in your eyes.?......I think it is rather unique for this site.......but that is just how I learned it.......(many many old kung fu flicks)........I would like your input on this being as you ARE the head staff lady around here.......anyway take it easy and by all means be safe......JEDI WHITE(J.T.)

hesitation+fire=death

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
damn...am i the only one here that's out of the loop? Well impress me then smile

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
JT - I know nothing more than has been posted/copied here by Malcolm - my summary was the conclusions I had drawn from what had been said.I have nothing to do with the judging process and will actually probably be entering the competition myself, so can't comment about the merits of one style over another...So I guess we all just need to do the best we can in every way and see what happens!------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Well, I just recorded a video last night about 4 min, of intense spinning in my backyard, it turned out pretty good..I used The Lost Tribe - The Gamemaster for the music..Anybody else made a video yet?I wonder how long it will take for mail to reach new zealand from British Columbia...[This message has been edited by RavingLunatic (edited 03 September 2001).]

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
hello all :-)wow, lots of new names here, I've been gone an awfully long time! anyways, if all goes well I will hopefully send in a video of some staff, poi, and maybe clubs as well. I've been working on some quite dancy stuff lately and a few strange new technical tricks. mostly though, i can't wait to see what you all come up with! .......some of this stuff sounds fantastic. heh, it's not fair, you guys have had a summer to practise while i languished in the ice of dunedin wink (heh, now I regret rubbing it in when I was enjoying summer and you guys were all freezing). anyways, hope all is well with all the lovely souls i knew here, and I'm expecting a kick arse video from all of ya! seeyaxaeda the deserter.------------------the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
^^^above, JT, is the mistress of staves around here. Xaeda - not me, not by a long shot smileDon't worry Xaeda - our last 4 rehearsals have been rained out. Sun?? what's that??

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Flash, Xaeda, can't wait to see your bits in the video. smileCan on of you two fire staff goddesses help me and finally explain what on earth these fire balls all twirlers talk about are ????????????????????????????????????????????????cheersshine oneCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Page: ...