Forums > Social Chat > A spinning to every mood

Login/Join to Participate

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
they say there is a music to every mood. But I've come to realize that, to me at least, there is a spinning to every mood : happy spinning, sad spinning, angry-I-have to calm down spinning... I think that Poi was also used by maori women to express feelings when not able to talk (or at least I think I remember something like that being said) . Well it sure means a lot to me. And I remember spinning one night and feeling suddenly so melancholic and my friend who was watching me told me that it showed in my spinning..do you know what I mean ? Shine oncassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
Hey Cass,I know what ya mean, when I've been watching people poi, or thinking about my own movements when poi-ing they reflect how you feel, and your character aswell. Only poi-ing when I'm angry leads to a painful result cause I try and push the speed and power, and end up bruised from head to foot. Now I always try to meditate for 10 mins before, concious of how I feel, and visualising how I want to move, seems to work. Anyone else do this?:-)~M

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

beakermember
54 posts

Posted:
I wouldnt say I mediatate before I do poi, But I try to avoid spinning when i'm pissed off cos I make more mistakes and like you said tend to hit myself a bit more.I suppose I use my poi as meditation smile

C'mon baby light my fire

emthrenmember
57 posts

Posted:
cassandra,I think I choose the music according to mood, and then spin according to the music. So it's all related.How about using spinning to make/change a mood? For example if you're sad, start spinning fast to pop music... has it worked for anyone?

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Cassandra,Your posts always make me smile. Your introspection, simplicity and optimism always a bit touching to a cynical city boy like myself.As for emthren, I've always found that music has a HUGE effect on my mood, almost embarasingly so. I can go from happy to melancholy to energized just by flipping from Blink 182 to Sarah Mclachlan to John Digweed.I know that there are some songs or beats that I will ALWAYS associate with spinning. I'm sure I'm not alone on that. Personally, I think that music influences my mood which in turn influences my spinning style (usually in that order).

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

jedimastahmember
97 posts

Posted:
I think meditation helps clear the mind and spirit so that you can focus your energy at the task at hand. Personally I meditate before and after I do anything. One thing I have learned through martial arts is that if you can focus your energy, spirit, chi, mind, and body you can accomplish anything. So through external and internal conditioning it makes the body react as the mind wants next to or near perfection. I, for instance, use poi as a form of meditation simply because I fall into a "plane of enlightenment" almost the second I begin. I do not leave the "plane" even after I finish twirling. Yes music is the force that drives me to do my best. I am a bitter person to be around if there is no music. Music is my energy!

4,224 posts

Posted:
NYC, Simplicity is not easy and I am definitely fighting against my tendancy to be either cynical or bitter sometimes, THAT would be easy for me... However, you are not the first one here to say I come accross as some cheesy naive chick... so you are probably right. smileEmthren, yes, I do use it a lot and it really works most of the time !!!shine oncassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 27 August 2001).]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I never called you "naive."Never called you "cheesy."And I'd never call ya "chick!" winkI just found your optimism and enthusiasm admirable. Especially since I'm from a city that prides itself on it's ability to violently render such qualities from most of us. Sometimes I have to remind myself not to be sarcastic with my students. ("No dark sarcasm, in the closss rooom. Teacher leave those kids alone!")Keep fightin' the good fight.Tryin' not to be another brick in the wall...-NYC

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

4,224 posts

Posted:
sorry, misunderstood your post then, or maybe I am just in my paranoid mode ... wink and to link this with the topic of the thread, I wonder what a paranoid spinning might look like actually ...There is indeed something very intellectually enjoyable in a well phrased efficient sarcastic cynical sentence. But if this is all people can come up with, that's sad. I think your students are lucky to have you as a brick... eeer a teacher I mean wink they really are ! smileShine onCassandra

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
how can music NOT directly effect you while spinning? when you listen to sad music, you feel sad; happy music, happy mood; angry music, angry bruises. i find than when i'm pissed off i love twirling my metal staff to screaming music and doing heaps more dangerously fast tricks to vent my rage, (fortunately things don't usually get that bad) but any other mood my poi can accomodate with a suitable beat. ofcourse exceptions should be clarified here, i can't handle listening to any sort of pop. i only feel disgust. but each to thier own i guess.ranger ------------------floating drifting fading awayhow could these stimulants lead us astray?

floating
drifting
fading away
how could these stimulants lead us astray?