Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Viaduct - New workshop in London Tuesdays

Login/Join to Participate

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Hello kiddies, Theres a new place to play on tuesday nights in london, and this one is going to be perminant: Viaduct 7:00pm to 11:00pm4 minutes walk from vaxhall bridge station, on the corner of Parry st and south lambeth road and south lambeth place.Every tuesdayThree poundsWicked upbeat techno and trance type music Organised by the Just Jugglers, the lovely people who used to run the Drome juggling, that Doug, Chris, Jez, Dimitri and the rest of the posse.Mostly for Poi people, Staffers, Contact jugglers, Clubs, balls and devil stick diabolo type people.see you all there Drew Phew just in the nick of time as nic and ali's tuesday night arches club closed last week so they can skip off travelling to India. Cheers N+A, have a groovy holiday.[This message has been edited by glass (edited 06 December 2001).]

touchBRONZE Member
61 posts

Posted:
Hey Glass,Have you spoken to Nick and Ali?

"Music is my mother...and my father...it is my work and my rest...my blood...my compass...my love" Jeff Buckley.

touchBRONZE Member
61 posts

Posted:
Hey Glass,Have you spoken to Nick and Ali?

"Music is my mother...and my father...it is my work and my rest...my blood...my compass...my love" Jeff Buckley.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
eeeek, ok, my mistake**, theres one more poi gathering at the arches.I spoke to nik and ali last night, and they're having one last poi gathering at the arches. london bridge next tuesday (something like the 11/12/01).And its going to be a good un.(**well actually I'm going to blame it on Dimitri, he told me, and especially as he's just left the country for 3 moths and wont be able to get me back...)

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Have you guys agreed that the arches is the place to be on Tuesday?????I went this week and found that there were very few good staff people to learn from. Do you know of any peeps coming along next week that are handy with the staff? I could really do with some help.

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
BamBam, only a staff beginner myself, but personally I think you could spend a good year or two learning staff from the guy doing contact staff. Forget his name now, but he's usually a regular and is pretty amazing!Drew - you missed my flags wink I've cheated and put handles on them so they don't twist up. In my opinion they're still flags, not flaggy poi! They now need modifying past the 'falling to bits mid spin' prototype stage! Next week I may be at JJ as it's closer to home.DomP.S. No furry balls at the moment. Still knitting 'em.

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Alt, it's nice to meet another beginner.Got any tips for not getting bruised wrists??? I think work are starting to worry about me!!!

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
there were no staffers cos it was Dimitri's last night and most of us went to say good bye alt flags wicked will you settle for me calling them poiy- flags with integral auto dissasembly feature?. keep on knitting, but if I remeber right, if your knitting to make pom poms your doing it wrong??! bam bam:what are you doing to bruse your wrists I reckon Arches will be better for poi and staff, but I might have myself cloned so that I can go to both, and hell, it would make doulble staff much easier

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
I'm a wimp, my staff has hockey stick handle padding along the middle third. It don't look cool or professional, but it's not meant to. Comfort before pride!If people ask about the bruises just tell them it's from your S&M gear. They'll never ask again wink

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
So that's why it wasn't so busy this week!As I said I'm still a beginner, so don't laugh! As I'm trying to do a figure 8 move from the side I'm wacking my wrist with the staff (hence getting brused). I can't seem to get the motion looking fluent.Alt: S&M comment went down a treat with the guys at work. :0)

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
BamBam: Now I'm puzzled. I thought you were attempting contact spins around your wrists and bruising. But with a figure 8!Drew: The pom-pom arent knitted, but the handles and cord are. It'll make sense when it's finished.

Solmember
33 posts

Posted:
S&M comments always good.Next time try saying that you like strapping yourself to the bed for the night- sleepwalking excuse works as well.

Sol

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Bam Bam: You get bruised how? Are you hitting your other arm (as in the one not holding the staff) to get injured. If so, simply keep it out of the way. Or take the whole movement (figure 8) away from your body. If necessary lean away from it.Don't concentrate too much. The movements should flow. They wont right away, but you look back in 2 weeks and you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about. If that's not it then I require some clarification before we continue.Alternativa: what kind of f*cked up contact spins are you doing? shocked A contact spin is when the staff spins on various surfaces of your body. If you're getting bruised you are doing it very wrong.Maybe you're thinking of wraps. But, even so, if you get injured you're not doing it right.------------------C@ntusIn the past, the fools would pay, to see the freaks of the day. The contradictions of the norm. The bizarre, the wonderful and deformed.No need for the tents and the cages now. The wool is over our eyes. In front the TV circus - a freakshow in disguise.

Meh

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Cantus: Thanks for the advice, moving away from the staff seems to be helping me - also not wearing thick bracelet might be doing some good!At the moment most of my moves don't feel like they flow right - will slowing down improve this, or do I need to just keep at it till it all comes into place?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Yes, slow down. I always take a new move very slowly and, if necessary, break it down into composite parts.If you continually - as in over and over - do the move slowly you will speed up naturally as you get better at and more confidant with it.

Meh

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Blimey Cantus, that was not only on-topic but also helpful... It's a crazy, crazy world smileI'll try and come along next week - The Arches was wicked but I've got a gig tomorrow so can't make the last week there. Ah well - see yawl at Viaduct (as long as I don't get lost)------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble Words to memerise, words hypnotise, words make my mouth exercise.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Woo Hoo - I'm coming again tonight!! Hurrah!Come say hello people! And can someone introduce me to Matt (if he's there) the guy who does contact stuff. I've just started learning.See everyone tonight.My pics are in the Mug Shot Gallery if you want to recognise me... smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Right - who said that tonight was the last night at the Arches? You were wrong. It wasn't and alot of confused people turned up there wondering why it was closed.Viaduct was OK, not as good as Arches but there we go...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Moi?When did I take the p!iss??Sorry, for any upset caused...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
I thought last night went well, although the Arches was a better venue.Thanks to everyone who helped me with my staff,poi and flag moves. For the first time everything seemed to go together (nice one guys).Glass: any chance you can help me with some contact work next week??

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
OK, I was a bit harsh. It wasn't bad, but the Arches was MUCH better.I got to try some Flag poi which was ridiculously hard. Kudos to those who can do them and make them look smooth.It just seemed to me that the other room was completely wasted (no music) and there wasn't the same atmosphere as Arches.Oh and thanks to the guy for giving my tips on my contact stuff and to the girl for letting my friend (and thus me...) borrow your flags. Sorry, I didn't catch anyones names.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Durbs: Glad you liked the flags. They take a bit of practice but are well worth it in the end.

Solmember
33 posts

Posted:
Durbs: I totally agree with you , mate. Arches was loads better- although the Viaduct has got a atmosphere too.

Sol

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Bump!Anyone going tomorrow? (25th Feb)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Hey Durbs, after the party, all of us are going. it'll be a good night.(we have met, I'm the guy who was "giving you tips on your contact stuff" 2 posts up, my pleasure.)I'm going to get a decent advanced poi moves workshop going in the backroom. Part teaching part skillshare. cos it seems like the place needs one, lets say 8:15 in the back room. Any requests for moves from anyone? If not I have some ideas. pls Remind me to start by introducing Poi the game. Its another level and a lot of fun.Drew

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't mind learning this 3 point TTN which people keep going on about. I've downloaded the video of it and it just seems weird to me.I'll be bringing my acrylic tonight aswell so if you don't mind Glass, I'll come and pester you to teach me the joy of arm rolls."Poi the game" ? Intrigued.... See everyone tonight.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi