Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Perpetual Light: Winter Solstice (SF, CA, USA)

Login/Join to Participate

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
The Winter Solstice: For many people, it is a pivotal day of the year; symbolic for its archetypal meanings among various people. For some, it's the longest -- and darkest -- night of the year. Others see it as an end to the everlasting darkness of the year, the point when light begins to return to the world, and the Sun itself is reborn. Why the sense of rejoicing, the foretelling of good fortune? Maybe it has something to do with surviving the cold, unforgiving darkness of the year, and looking forward to feeling light and prosperity shine down upon oneself.This Solstice, Mythic Fire (Don, Kai, and Anne -- a San Francisco firedancing troupe) will be hosting an all-night ritual firedance on Ocean Beach. From sundown to sunup, we will keep a continual flame in motion, passing it from firedancer to firedancer, and bringing the Bay Area fire community together to keep the flame alive through the darkest night of the year.To join us in pushing back the darkness of the longest night, and for more complete details, see www.mythic-fire.com/solstice.This event is open to the public. Please feel free to forward this message on to more fire folk, and to other people you think would be interested -- especially drummers and musicians to provide sound for the evening.[This message has been edited by kmactane (edited 03 December 2001).]

Nokomismember
27 posts

Posted:
Ohhh, this is extremely tempting. I'm tied between another B-man Solstice party in my area and Ocean beach. I haven't been to an Ocean Beach gathering in almost two years, back when the cops started crudely harassing the Beach Burns. I live up past Sacramento, so its quite a drive to be thrown off the beach within 2 hours time of arriving.Which stairwell on OB? Do you think there will be trouble with the cops? Just weighing the pros and cons. I'd love to come, bring some extra fuel & some food for everyoneBeautiful site, by the way!

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
Hi, Nokomis, glad you liked the site. Somewhere on the Perpetual Light page, we said it would be across Great Highway from Lawton Street. I don't recall a particular stairwell number; that might be a good idea to check on.We don't expect any cop trouble, for two major reasons:This won't be as big as a beach burn (I'm pretty sure -- never got to any of those, but I gether they were 50+ peple at any given time?). We're not likely to be more than a dozen or so at any given moment, and can get away with claiming to be a small ritual gathering.We've deliberately chosen this location because it's behind a couple of great big dunes, and so is completely hidden from view from the Great Highway. (This wasn't just to keep cops from seeing us; it was also to avoid us ahving to see streetlights, house lights, headlights, and so on.)However, if you've got a BM Solstice party going on in your own neighborhood, I'd advise you to just go to the closer one. Heck, driving in from past Sacramento? You could be putting all that road time into partying and burning instead! grin I know which one I'd advise. But if you do come to Perpetual Light, find me and say hello.

Nokomismember
27 posts

Posted:
You've done a fine job, in weighing the Pros and Cons for me. Probably should just stay in town...but its still oh soo tempting.I definitely will check out your Sunday meets, fairly soon. It gets lonely up here, being one of the only people I know of who does fire. I have a beautiful turkish drum that needs a home. I bought it a few years back, and would rather give it off to someone who has the beat in there heart. I'm more of dancer, then a drummer. Its just laying around collecting dust. Besides its that time of year...

[({PoiToi})]member
98 posts

Posted:
I'll be there!! smileI'm from Santa Rosa so it's only an hour for me. smile woohoo! But if anyone from sonoma/matrin counties wants a ride i am willing to have a carpool thing, i dunno how long everyone wants to stay but it would save gas/parking/ etc. I hope to see a lot of poeple there! smile oh. my email is MTNbiker@my.purerave.com if you want a ride.. or just to chat. (Wink wink flash fire)heehee PLURz Jon I.

---Formerly known as RaverRomantic---

AIM: RaverRomantic