SunnyDazemember
5 posts

Posted:
Hello all, new to the board but I've been using HoP for a while now... just curious if anyone knows of any INDOOR fire-related performances coming up in Seattle (or nearby)? I'm tired of the beach for spinning and the weather is just too crappy and unpredictable anyway! Is this wishful thinking?? Just thought I'd pick your brains!------------------Go big or go home!

Go big or go home!

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
I've been looking for indoor things as well due to the weather. I've been meaning to contact Ignis Devoco, a local fire troupe that offers lessons. You may want to check out their site (I think its just www.ignisdeveco.com)

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
Hi there,Our troupe, The Cabiri, is based in Seattle. We have a biiiiiiiggggggg New Year's Eve show coming up, amongst some other things...I'd be happy to add you to our email announcement list, if you'd like to stay up to date about what we're doing, when we're performing. We also offer classes and such.Email me at charly@cabiri.org if you're interested, Sunny.~*Charly*~www.cabiri.orgAudi Ignis Vocem!Hear the voice of fire!

SunnyDazemember
5 posts

Posted:
Charly~Thanks for the info... although I'm not really into the "drama" side of this... mainly I'm looking for some loud, bangin' music and fire performers... I think I'm looking for a more "Vegas-club-like" atmosphere, but just can't seem to find one here. Any thoughts on that? Or better yet, if you want to start something in that direction... let me know. Nice website though, and I'll keep you in mind! Love the trapeezes! Very cool!Be safe and have fun smile~SunnyDaze~------------------Go big or go home!

Go big or go home!

SunnyDazemember
5 posts

Posted:
Neeko~I met with and actually did one practice session w/ Dona @ Ignis Devoco. It's not really what I'm looking for... too much on the "drama/performing arts" stuff... and the stuff they do is just a little "dark" for me.I'm looking for more of a club-like atmosphere... similar to Vegas (?)... if you know of anything like that here, let me know. All of the groups around here seem to be focused on the drama part of this... "telling a story" as they say. I would like to see a group of talented fire performers do some tricky, synchronized stuff to some bangin' music! If you know of anything like that, let me know!Thanks for the info... ~SunnyDaze~------------------Go big or go home!

Go big or go home!

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
Hey Charly, I'm sorry I completely forgot about mentioning the Cabiri. Unfortunately, I've never seen either of the Seattle troupe's shows. I'm always either trapped at work or they are over 21 events (which does not matter now that I am turning 21 in a couple days). Anyways, I think it would be great to get together with the Seattle spinners sometime, event or not. As it is now, I am the only one I know with interest in poi.

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
Hey SunnyDaze and Neeko,Sunny:Yes, if you're looking for 'loud bangin music and fire performers' you wouldn't be too happy working with us.Have you investigated the local rave scene? There's a lot of people doing fire at raves here in Seattle... that might be more your thing.Not sure what you mean by 'Vegas-style' fire performance... seems like the fringe, feathered headdresses, and sequins might not be the safest costumes to perform with fire... hee hee... grin not to mention the 6" spike heels... ouch!Also, there seems to be a fair amount of fire twirling happening at Golden Gardens during the summer... there are often drummers and the like.Lastly, I can see how you could get the idea that everyone in town is focused on storytelling and mythology, but two years ago The Cabiri were the only ones in town doing it! Now there have been some others that have followed in our footsteps, but I'd say a majority of the people in town just want to light up and show their stuff.Neeko:There are so many more groups in Seattle than The Cabiri and Donia's group. There's Cirque de Flambe, PyroSutra, Thermogenesis, and many others. Url's are: www.cirquedeflambe.com www.pyrosutra.com www.thermogenesis.netWe almost never do shows in the 21 and over scene... we do lots of street theater and festivals... all of which are 'all ages'. Anyhoo, if you wanna join our announcement list, email me at charly@cabiri.org. We teach classes too.Good luck in your search for compadres, SunnyDaze.~*Charly*~The Cabiriwww.cabiri.org

Ignis Devocomember
67 posts

Posted:
Donia Here...SunnyDaze..who are you?? I normally address students by their first name and so I don't think I remember you.I am sorry you did not get anything out of the class.. I hope you find a teacher who suits you!!Anyway..yes we teach classes...It is an everythingyouwanttoknowaboutfirearts type of class.Cool thing is we just got a space to do class indoors where we will have permission to burn....If all you want to do is swing stuff around at a the beach or a party standing in one place..well this is probably not the class you want to take..A major focus in our class is to get you to move your body while you are swinging poi or staff or however you may be working with fire....Not neccessarily tell a story but more or less give some feeling to what you are doing...I have a huge theatre back ground and so I teach with that in mind...I have always been more impressed by artists who paint a picture for me per say than just stand there and do their thing.But if you want to meet other like minded individuals and learn some great fire skills, the class is a great way to do that. Hmmm "Dark" is an interesting way to describe what we do.. I would say that some of the stuff we do is on the darker side but some stuff is also on the lighter side... We don't do any clowning though but it soes not mean we don't do happy pieces. As for dramatic..well yes we are..We get paid very well for what we do and so it is important to us to put on a really spectacular show...It is true that in some stuff we do we work with Myths and what not ..I would have to say it is not the only thing we do...Some times we just get up there and light it up!! IN fact we have some "tricky, synchronized stuff to some bangin' music"...It really depends on the venue..Bar or rave...probably more of just a light it up kind of show...festivals and street fairs..probably more of a story or theme...I would diagree with Charly in that they were the first to dramatically act out myths..this has been done for thousands of years...and so we take some of our inspiration from history...As for adding fire to it..hmm well The first group in seattle to do this was probably Magmavox..and from them we also find inspiration...A member of Pyrosutra and I are also working on getting an indoor space for the Fire Community at large in Seattle and it will be used for our rehersals as well as a warm dry place for all of us in seattle to get together and just play....If you are interested in being involved with that please drop me a line...We have a couple of shows coming up...In January we will being doing an All ages show sponsored by the Vera project and Rockergrrrls....At the Old Fire House in Redmond.. I believe it will be us..an all girl punk band and an all girl electronica band.OUr next scheduled fire show after that will be February 16th also all ages but by invitation only....though we are looking at being wisked away to India to perform during that time so it may be that we will have to cancel that show...Feel free to drop me a line and I can put you on our mailing list...or give you some more information about the class...Donia LoveIgnis Devoco Industrial Fire Circuswww.ignisdevoco.com"Where there is sorrow, I seek the flame."Rumi [This message has been edited by Ignis Devoco (edited 12 December 2001).]

SunnyDazemember
5 posts

Posted:
~Dona~It's me, Kelly - the travel agent. I met you at your place a few months ago and brought my friends Kevin and Gabe and my brother, Ty. I hope I didn't sound too negative about your group... I think all fire groups are GREAT! Your's just wasn't what we were looking for. We did do one performance at Ballard Fire House... but then these chicks came in... totally unimpressive, except for their looks. There was definitely alot more talent on our end!... they just had "the look"... snakeskin pants, glitter... big boobs. tongue But all they did was wave around some fire fingers and pretend to lick each other. It was gay. ~Charly~Thanks again for your help... I have NEVER seen fire performers at a rave... but I haven't raved in a while... so maybe i should check it out.See yas!~Sunny~------------------Go big or go home!

Go big or go home!

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
*laughing... dramatic music plays in the background*as the world turns... these are the days of our lives in the seattle fire scene.thermogenesis performs every sunday at the bad juju lounge.temple of ajna performs every month at seelie court oracle gatherings.and, on dry evenings, the spinning flames of independent fire rowdies can be seen flickering in parking lots and on college campuses.