Page:
Dimitrimember
26 posts

Posted:
Just to let people know that there is Juggling/Poi/Twirling workshop going on for the next couple of weeks in THE ARCHES, 53 Southwark StreetEvery Tuesday Evening7:30-11:002:50£Sound System & BarFeel free to bring a didge or drum!!Thanx to Nic & Alli for organizing it!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Which tube station is the nearest?I'm very interested in going, but it's a hassle for me to get into London by car------------------King of all things Walrus

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
southwalk on the jubilee is quite close and london bridge is not far eitherbovril monkey, come on you know you wanna, it'll only take one and a half hour from wycombe (I am the walrus, you are the apeman.)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
It qualified as an event so I moved it! smileWhen are you ganna have one of these over here? wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Link to map: https://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=531790&Y=180314&A=Y&Z=1Nearby
tubes include Southwark, Blackfriars and BoroughEverybody come along! There's always quite a few people at London events, of all ability levels.Apparently, depending upon the management's nerves there's a car park outside that could possibly be used for fire. But don't quote me on this!

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Sounds like fun! Fireweavers ho! grinBut seriously, I'd like too see some of you guys there...

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Yep blackbird from next tuesday I will definitly be there as I only live about 10mins walk away.See you there

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
*bump*Don't forget kids, support your local Poi night or sit around next month wondering why there are no local poi nights! wink

Primaveramember
5 posts

Posted:
What does 'next couple of weeks' mean? Is it happening this Teusday? Will it be happening until futher notice?*quizzical*S

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
As far as I know it's happening this Tuesday and the next 2 Tuesdays. Ask on the door and they'll tell you, or someone with more of a clue will confirm here!There's a few options after that, but it depends upon people's interest, venues, etc...

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
The arches is only going on for a few weeks until, nik and ali go off travelling.but the word on the street (you heard it hear first) is that hte old JJ drome crowd have finally got they're arses in gear and will be restarting tuesday nights soon (about when nik and ali's party finishes).So tuesdays in london should be groovy this winter.8:30 in back room, poi workshop, fresh ideas,mostly for beginners/intermediate, but they'll be hardcore stuff as well, so you want something taxing come and ask me nearer the end. there, I've written it, now it will have to happen. If you've got a particular trick you want I'll do the workshop about it.thanks Nik and Ali for sorting this out.smileGlass

Primaveramember
5 posts

Posted:
Cheers for the information, sounds good!

cyberpunkgrrlmember
27 posts

Posted:
I'd love to come, but I'm new to all this and don't know anyone. And I'm a newbie-got my poi as a birthday present and have yet to put them down!

Retry
Abort...

Failed!

Primaveramember
5 posts

Posted:
Neither do I, I went along last week though and it was a very relaxed atmosphere. Definitely worth going smile(Word on the door is that it may be going on indefinitely as well, depending on how the new management feel).

Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Great to hear that there are poi nights sorted out. I'm afraid I'm bit of a newbie to poi & London. Trying to find like minded people. Is there a definite answer yet to ow long tese nights are going to remain?? Things seem to get re-scheduled as soon as hear about 'em. Cheers folks

Herby

At the top of the spin..
..i found my smile biggrin

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
Hey Cyberpunkgrrl and Herbybiscuits,
Non-Https Image Link
If you don't want to go to the workshop on your own, me and a couple of friends are meeting at London Bridge at 8pm to go there . Feel free to join us. E-mail me to get my mobile number. Sunbeam
Non-Https Image Link
[This message has been edited by sunbeam (edited 27 November 2001).]

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
*Bump*Trying to keep interest going in this as it's the best Poi night in town!As to new poiers, staffers and jugglers, you have every reason to turn up as you will learn a new move, if not several! The atmosphere is friendly and the music is good. Just ask random people to teach you moves and they'll be happy to. A few people, like Andrew and Dimitri (and sometimes myself) will happily wander round trying to help people out.The way to make sure there are poi nights about is to make poi nights profitable for the venue. So the more people turn up the higher the chance that it'll keep going. This night is breaking even so the more the merrier and the hopes are high that this will continue. Ask at the door tonight to find out more.So see you all there!Domhttps://www.alternativa.co.uk/poi/

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Last tuesday was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good really loverly.Okie, well, if anyone thinks they want a Poi workshop or might be slightly interested in new moves come and ask me, I'll do a Workshop at 8:30 in the back room.I've got an idea, but if any one got any requests I can do them instead?W/S for any level, if you're complete nebie, then you'll struggle a bit, but You should get it by the next week, and if you think you seen it before, then I got a lot of variations, so they should keep you happy too.Last week was like a super staff tastic mission, there was a whole load of crazy staff stuff going on that I had never dreamed before (ya know you think you've seen most of everything, then one night come along and blows you away)I think it was the gel spinning while doing a handstand that most got me.CU tonightglass

orangemember
158 posts

Posted:
big yorkshire sent hugs to all the twirlers bouncybouncing in the south smilehave you been orange`d lately? mhmmm?me thinketh not - i`m working part time tue/wed so i`m gonna miss-out on your meets - but really hope to hook up before ali'n'nic go off again... ---hope you all had as mad a weekend as i think you`d have - soz i couldn`t make it - let us know when you next plan your next 'freeparty-poi-meet' ooh and if anyone see`s nic - could you please say... 'is that a question'-but in the manner of a statement - ta - hehe...may the orange energy be strong in you allrich orange...xxx...

swoopedinandswoopedoutagain...orange...xxx...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I went last night and it was DAMN good!Don't think I've ever seen so many talented poi-ers in one spot! Some dude was doing these sheet-poi which where amasing and this other person had a full poi jumper with glowing arms. Looked rad.Also, must say a big "wow" to the guy liquid dancing with the clear balls. He had the whole club in awe. Niiiiiiicccccccccce.I've just put my pictures of the night up at my homepage (in my signature) - but they are my first poi pics with the digital camera so they aren't great.------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble I have only one burning desire....let me stand next to your fire

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
It was a cool night, always great to see so many people to inspire new tricks. See you all there next week.Durbs, those were flags that someone finally got round to making. Very, very cool!Right, I'm off to get some fabric, now I've spun some I want more!Dom

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
the guy contact dancing with the acrylic was mat, he's a bit of a dude.Ok ok I didn't do a proper poi workshop like I promised, There was just too much good stuff going on and needed some chilling time. Dimitri and I and lots of others did teaching kinda stuff in the front room anyway. Durbs: how can you tell what the move was from your photos, you got to be tele-photo-pathic?Alt: "someone, finally got round to making" "SOMEONE...","SOMEONE...". Glad you liked my flagsI'd like to try yours next week (sewing the lead in was a bitch, so good luck)Drew

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Just out of interest who's who there? I was a bit quiet really and didn't speak to anyone new - except the guy with the glowy sleeves and the camera (sorry - didn't catch his name) I take it glass was the guy with the flags.And the girl with the staff was pretty rad to.Tele-photo-whatic? I just recognise the patterns (or guess smile )------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble I have only one burning desire....let me stand next to your fire

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Sorry man, but you know what I meant! And I hate posting other peoples names 'cos that's your business winkMy flags are already made smile They probably need a bit more work to anchor the lead weight securely, and they're maybe not as good as yours (lazy sewer), but they work well and they're large. They're still 'prototype' stage, as I have a few ideas to work out on them.My next project is woollen pom-pom poi, less sewing!Durbs: I think he means that in a photo most moves become a circle of light, so figuring out what move it was is a bit difficult. I was the tall guy with long blonde hair. Feel free to say hello next time.Dom

Solmember
33 posts

Posted:
Hey Glass!Are you gonna do some teaching again this tuesday? I really learned a lot the first week and now I'm bringing a friend who's just starting and it would be great to learn new tricks.Wicked flags,by the way!(and skills)And also, does anyone know Antiworld? If not, then it's on in two weeks( 08 dec- sat) and it's kickin! Cool people, brilliant psychodelic sounds and this time it's joined forces with Samsara and the Secret. It's in Stratford Rex, Stratford High Street, E15, more info on www.antiworlddjs.co.. Unmissable.Shine-a-light and see ya next tuesdaySol

Sol

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
any body else want to see Alt swing his furry balls?? - live show arches next tuesday.Cheers Sol,If I can, I'll definately come do another Workshop next tue, but theres a possibility I'll nay be comming.If I'm not, then Others (Dimitri) are always groovy when it comes to teaching stuff.lots of glovesGlass

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
I went along on Tuesday night and wow you guys are good. I've been working with the staff for a couple of months and didn't seem to be getting anywhere, but after Tuesday I feel more confident. So thanks to everyone who helped me.See you all next week.Ohh guy with the dreads (can't remember your name) You were bloody amazing with the staff!C U

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Arse - I can't make it this week as I'm working. Do we know about the future yet? How long will it be running there?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Sol your link doesn't work. Try this instead: https://www.antiworlddjs.co.uk/
grin

Meh

Mr_CoopsSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Sunbeam,Sory didn't get in touch about last Tuesday night me computer was buggered.I'm interested in going this Tuesday, E-mail me or post a reply up here.CheersHerby

Herby

At the top of the spin..
..i found my smile biggrin

Solmember
33 posts

Posted:
Cantus: thamks mate, my mistake. It was suppose to be .co.uk.

Sol

Page: