Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Alright, so everyone I am certain knows of the tshirt competition, and that the proceeds are to go to an international gathering of spinners in NZ.What I was thinking is that it might be easiest for us to create this like a convention. Rent a venue with insurance for the three days. Have stages where people can spin and showcase. Have vendors with items available for sale or display. Have a general gathering area, etc. This way the cost can be defrayed by sponsorship, it will be easier to get airlines to discount tickets and hotels to discount rooms.Then on Saturday night we can have some honking big free spin ala Burning Man and such. I was thinking that since there is so many of these little BM things sprouting up all over that this might be a fun and different direction to go. We can also retire the relay equipment that weekend, and maybe kick off a new project?I know there are enough businesses that would be interested, what about everyone else? Would many of you be interested in attending anyway? Or is this ganna be small and intimate with us dieharders?Anyway, that is my .02 on the thing. Other ideas would be great!Also needed would be any NZ-ers interested in helping plan the thing when the time comes? And when should we start with this stuff anyway?Oh...and I was thinking November of 2003 since it is turning to sumer down under. Any other dates which might be more suitable?If need be I can start an egroup about this.....Thanks for any ideas and input!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

voicesofonemember
1 post

Posted:
I would like to raise the point that New Zealand has some nice events on new years.Such as visions its a out door rave. I was up there a year ago and there where some fellow staffers and poiers. So i was thinking why not join in an already existing event, this way we dont have to worry about anything but showing up.There is a larger event called the gathering but its gotten kinda teenie bop.

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
I didn't think the Gathering was teenybop?*!I had a blast there on nye!Having the meet up here in nz is 'kin top idea, it is lush over here.when transporting kit by air, always clean and rewick stuff before you go.if you have any unusual or big stuff (eg staffs, fire wheels, fire swords, flaming bicycles etc) you can ask for them to be handled separate from the rest of the suitcases and bags. There are usually oversize/fragile channels at the airport available for stuff like that - it is stored separately on the plane, just ask when checking in.Can't wait!Axis

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
DO WE OR DO WE NOT HAVE THE DATES YET? This has been asked a few times and neglected. If we are juggling between dates, can you let us know what those possibilities are.If it is still unsure, then let us know when the dates will be finalized.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
i think a valid point was made before the 'poi feast 2003' thread closed down, this one is huge, to read all posts and responses isn't really time effecient. and 'poi feast 2003' was intended to be humourous. have you lost your sense of humour!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
NYC...it has been answered. We haven't determined anything nor are we actually debating over dates. We are waiting to find out when the juggling convention will be held (we are told usually mid Feb). We would like to have ours the weekend before the juggling con so that people will have the opportunity to make both of them when travelling long distances.Pick you head up off your desk and pay attention young man! winkAnd for the other thing, why should I, or anyone else, repeat ourselves because someone does not want to read what is already there? That is the point of these boards. Sift through, get info and share new. Not repeat, repeat, repeat! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 17 January 2002).]

Pele

SurlochSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
I for one will be there. I'll ask around and see if there is anyone else from Brisbane going, perhaps we can all get the same plane or something.

Ní mar a síltear a bítear

“Things may not be as they seem to be”

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
maybe it would be easier if you were on the events board with a little up dated note every couple of days, maybe it would stop the repeat repeat repeat i mean repeat questions everybody is asking!!!!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Sorry Pele, I searched quite a bit and mistook your comment of: "The date we are looking at is Early Feb 2003." to mean"The date we are looking at is Early Feb 2003." rather than"We are looking at several days in early Feb 2003."Both you and Charles mentioned a "date" in the singular prompting me to assume that there was one. I am unsure of how you can "look at a date" without looking at a date.Charles even stated "the date is tentitively set" by which I guess he really ment "the date is not tentitively set"I now realize that:"we are looking at a date" and "the date is tentitively set" really means"we are not looking at a specific date" and "the date is not tentitively set due to a juggling show."How silly of me wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
on that point could a thread be created that only pele and other *officials* post to more to keep us updated with actual information and less as an open descusion like this one.i used fire for the first time a couple of weeks back and drafted a non fire or poi friend in as my safty he was so ammazed by it he is now adicted and planning on coming to the gathering with me smile

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
Surloch: One of my friends and I will hopefully be going, if we can save enough money for it anyway.

dizzymember
43 posts

Posted:
Hey all!Just wanted to pick up on Ajay's point it would be less confusing confusedTake care Dizz xx

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
its bin a while since anything has been posted, i just wanna check on progress... whats happnin?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I'm waiting for Charles to answer my last email before I can offer anything up. wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
gdgd as long as things are still progressing... keep us posted. smile

maeonmember
40 posts

Posted:
To pick up on what was just said, it would be a really good idea to have a separate area where the committee can keep us informed. A lot of science conferences do this via their websites - so I guess once the site for the convention is up and running you could use that, but the sooner we all get the info the better. They have allsorts of useful things, from the early days where they just post 'minutes' of the organising committee meetings, to closer to the end where they inform you about the 'official' airlines, accomodation and involved 'touristy things'.This brings me to another question. I know the total cost for the conference has been put at around $10 000. What sort of registration fees will we be looking at? Will each workshop /seminar /meeting have add on costs, or will it be a pay for the whole conference upfront affair? And roughly how far before the event will registrations close? Is there any chance that it will be called off if there aren't enough registrations - I've seen it happen before.I don't think I'll be in the market for a trip to NZ by then. Maybe 2005 though.maeon

Where in the world is the island I'm on?

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Good point Maeon, is there gonna be an admission up front?TEMPEST

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Bumpety bump. grin

maeonmember
40 posts

Posted:
tickety tock?

Where in the world is the island I'm on?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Pele's not here to answer your question Tempest. I'm sure she'll be along in due time. Try to be patient. Pull up a chair. Help yourself to dip....

Meh

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Yes Pele as we all know is sadly buisy for the moment and we are all thinking of her smileFYI though, we (well... especially Malcolm, CHarles and Robert Michael - those guys rock smile ) are currently working on venue and dates . Details and infos will be available as soon as this is solved. Shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
whats happning on the gathering web site? p.s. has anyone noticed the error in the topic?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
heh heh Ajay ur right!Uh will it be a *proper* convention and have William Shatner giving a speech?When we all meet up, we can totally re-shoot the mugshot gallery with but one photo! this time though, we'll keep our clothes on, okay dreamer? :P"Our time has come. A storm is coming - our storm...and when it comes it will shake the universe"- Muad'Dib

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Acidmember
110 posts

Posted:
im bumping this up and just saying how sad i am- i live in Israel and will probably be in the army by feb' 2003 boo woo...
Non-Https Image Link

life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans John Lennon

Bouncemember
37 posts

Posted:
I was only just thinking of a way to spoil myself at the end of the year and i think i just found it! Have started saving already, and will be there with bells on!

poipixiemember
53 posts

Posted:
Surloch, i was just reading back through the thread and i saw your post about people going to the conv. from brisbane....count me in!! i know a few other people from around here who r interested too. yayayay! excitement!!

love, kisses and magikal wishes, sam

--*SaM*--

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Sorry this may have already been said, but anywho, where would we be staying, exectly where will we be a twirling... I mean the town...

I would have read every post, but to many post for such a small head...

Love me... or else...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Earlybirdmember
19 posts

Posted:
This is a really exciting concept but I am a little perplexed at a lack of confirmation / concrete organisation considering that the majority of us will need time to get organised. Is this actually happening?? Throw me some crumbs......

let it out, let it go, let it all unravel,
set it free and it can be
a path on which to travel...

***peteSILVER Member
38 posts

Posted:
If i actually pass year 12 i will be there. It is only a short swim acrosse the ocean from Australia.
Do we have a date or month yet? Then i can start saving. Also do we have access to cheep kero or can we take it on the plane. Because i would hate to get there and find that the whole country is dry of kero or any flamable liquid.

***pete

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
*bump*
*ouch*
i know that pele cant really reply now,
but does anyone else know whats going on? is it still happening? any new details?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
"the International Spin Gathering is still happening but in 2004 in Christchurch, NZ"
But the phoenix can fly only when its feathers are grown. click 'ere cus i know where joo live!!
Born on an egg on a mountaintop.....

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Page: