Rainmember
69 posts

Posted:
Hey all,as you can see I am wondering who will be at ConFest this new years. I haven't been before but I am looking forward to it heaps. I am interested in meeting up with other HOPers there. I have heard that in the past there has been a circus village and I am hoping that there will be one this year but even if there isnt initially I am going to solve the problem by creating my own. anyway I was thinking that the circus village will be the place to meet. whose up for a gathering of HOP people so that we can get to know each other?So that people know ConFest is neer the NSW and VIC border neer Echuca in Australia. Just letting people know so that they can work out if they can get there or not.

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Rain....Im very seriously considering going.Not sure how im gonna get there though. I've never been before but heard its excellent. You should deffinetly go.Cheers APB

Good on usGood on us all

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Kate and I are considering it.I've heard mixed reports about it. about 5 ppl say its good, 1 person says that the NYE one has basically lost its plot, and the easter one is the one to go to, and 2 negative reports (one is based entirely on one negative thing that happened a long time ago, and the other remains an unsupported opinion).so yeah. we arent sure yet.Josh

AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
when is confest on.i'd love to go.i've heard its really good

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
As a quick overview, ConFest is an amazing experience with lots of performance, and workshops on anything from flirting to Permaculture. However, ConFest has changed a lot since the halcyon party days of the mid-nineties, and the atmosphere is more subdued now. The summer ConFest, with NYE celebrations and HOT weather, has a bit of a party atmosphere, while the Easter ConFest is definitely layback. I suppose you just have to take it as you find it, and you won't be disappointed. The Gulpa Creek site is excellent, with lots of space for camping, plenty of wood and a creek for swimming. I think the quality of the fire twirling and drumming has declined in recent years, with fewer good performers than in the past. So, I'm with Rain. Create a circus village and crank it up smile Total Fire Ban days are a problem, but electroglo sticks, beaming poi, glowies or can be used as an alternative. For more info on ConFest; where it is, transport, rides, etc. see:https://www.dte.org.au/ConFest/NextFest/NextFest.html For info on the organisers: https://www.dte.org.au/CU
at the summer ConFest smile smile smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Hi all, been to quite a few but not in the last couple of years, am thinking about going to them again though. NYE attracts a few yobbo's and is definietly a bigger party type vibe while easter generally gets more of the genuine dte (down to earth) kinda people. I think the NYE one starts 29th dec -3/4 jan. I liked the moama site the best (the first one I went to), they have also been held at Tocumal and the last site was at Denilicquin. Get into the workshops b4 the drugs! the circus village is great, love practiceing that tight rope walking! I know a few ppl involved in the organising of Confest so i'll post any details i get. cyaP.S. I got into fire twirling and learnt most of the tricks I know by watching other twirlers there.

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
That would be sweet jester...Rain what part of melbs are you in. Jester already asked me if we want to get together and twirl, so youre more than welcome to join us. Im in Hawthorn so feel free to email or whatever.Cheers APB

Good on usGood on us all

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I've definitely heard negative reports about it.. and only one positive one...but I wouldn't really count the positive one as a positive one...So... purrhaps ..purrhaps not.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Rainmember
69 posts

Posted:
I personally have only heard good things about it, however I have never been. I am interested in hearing all points of view. Please share what you know. What is the atmosphere like? At the moment I am stressing a bit about the full on camping but I am sure that I will love it when I am there.

J4Playmember
24 posts

Posted:
Easter confest rules. Summer confest is still good but I find it way to hot and firebans suck when you are itching for a good burn. Also I prefer the atmosphere at easter. Some of my friends have the opposite view however.There are firetwirling workshops at every confest. Indeed confest is what got me into twirling. It sux though cos every time I go back I think that I am doing pretty well with my twirling but I always find a few dudes who can blow me out of the water. Thats cool though cos I steal their moves grin. Most people are genuinely very friendly. The best thing to do is to go a mission by yourself stopping by at random ppls campsites for a chat and a twirl or drum. Thats another good thing, there are lots of sick instrumentalists to listen to.As for the camping, as long as you can set up a tent you will be fine. Even if you can't set up a tent you should be fine. There is water pumped through tubes around the whole site so that isn't a prob. It is hot water in summer though (sorry, gotta stop bitching about summer confest!). If you don't want to cook, you will not be dissapointed with the food at the confest market. The vegie pizzas absolutely rule (everything is vegie BTW).Not sure if I'll be there this summer. Might come after new years. I'll be the arab guy trying to spin a pair of staves so come say hi. Cheers.

**SMILEY**member
6 posts

Posted:
My first time was at easter and I loved it so much that I have been counting down the days since I left at easter smile Confest is what got me into twirling too. I recomend confest to anyone.Mick------------------"Let's just say I was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. That's all it was: just curiosity." (Morrison in Los Angeles, 1969)

Let's just say I was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. That's all it was: just curiosity. (Morrison in Los Angeles, 1969)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Hey smiley, your morrison quote from your signature - I met a guy a few years ago who said something very similar to that when he was asked why he took a dive from the top of a 200yr old oak tree....~He wasn't hurt by the way. Apart from a few cuts and bruises. He had a distinct advantage over many plummeters in that he is a gymnast/trapeze artist type thing in a circussy kind of show.

Meh

**SMILEY**member
6 posts

Posted:
Wow..to me that sounds just plain crazy!! shocked Man I can't believe he was ok.------------------"Let's just say I was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. That's all it was: just curiosity." (Morrison in Los Angeles, 1969)

Let's just say I was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. That's all it was: just curiosity. (Morrison in Los Angeles, 1969)

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Mannn it was alrighty but a bit too quiet!New years confest was slower than Easter purely becoz there was no gigantic bonfire to keep everyone's spirits up!Old confesters will agree with me when I say that each day of confest gets better and better than the last!It got so sedentary that i left for falls festival confused------------------It is said that "Twirler with hand in pocket feel cocky all day." =P

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Ok Katinca and I are *really* going to try hard to make it to Confest this year. Either for NYE or for Easter. Now I want to know which is the better party from a fire twirling / learning perspective?

WE are leaning in the direction of easter but our itinery is flexible...

(notes that he posted the same thing in 2001, and still hasnt been)...

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Like most events ConFest is evolving, and it’s never the same. The Party aspect of ConFest has diminished in recent years, which is perhaps not a bad thing. Though, the drumming is always fantastic, and ConFest can be a life changing experience.

Traditionally, the NYE ConFest, or long ConFest, attracts the biggest crowds, but extremely hot weather and dust, at this time of the year, can make conditions unpleasant. Fire restrictions and Total Fire ban days will limit fire twirling opportunities.

The Easter ConFest, while shorter, is generally more lay back, and the ambient temperatures at at Easter are generally more suitable for fire twirling. Though, it should be noted that private camp fires are now banned at Confest, and the current organisers (Grrr.) are not that partial to fire twirling.

Personally, I prefer the Easter ConFest. But it depends on what else you have on your itinerary. Don’t forget about the Rainbow Serpent, one of the best imo.

As far a learning perspective go, you just never know. It really depends on who is around at the time.

Does that help?

smile smile smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:

I’ll just add that one of the best things about ConFest is being able to play with your props all day and night, and there are lots and lots of like minder people to swap tricks and stuff with.

beerchug

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I think NY will suit us better

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

6,978 posts

Posted:
yum yum almost there!!

6,978 posts

Posted:
photos of the loveliest place i've ever been lucky enough to have stayed at!!!
https://photobucket.com/albums/v601/Bendered/ConfestSumm05/

pyrotekGOLD Member
old man fire
27 posts

Posted:
word from DTE, who run ConFest -->

there is a designated fire circle at confest which is twirled in every night. Because of the low turnout, there was not much twirling at summer confest. pity too, koz the weather was wonderful, it wasn't baking hot every day.
Fuel is provided by DTE, although it is limited. There is also usually workshops most evenings or around 5pm (once the sun is low enough for exercise) before twirling starts after dark where you can either swap tricks or just learn or teach.

There seems to be another (younger) lot of good-quality twirlers making their presence felt. Good.

Total fire bans are one thing to worry about, but we had 3 days of total fire ban last easter confest anyway.