Forums > Social Chat > Would i have problems if i go spin in a club?

Login/Join to Participate

HaZZamember
23 posts

Posted:
We have a club here in our neighbourhood, and i go there almost every weekend.One of the things i'd really like to do is take ma stringz (when i get good enuf ofcourse) and just stand on the stage there and do sum wikid stringin. Problem is, I dunno if the crew there wuld like it if i wuld go there and do ma thang. Can imagine it would be a bit dangerous (Glowstix, not fire), so whats your experiece/opinion about it?

klubkidnycmember
25 posts

Posted:
the first time i ever saw anyone spinning was in a club..here in nyc we have some pretty big joints and they never told anyone they couldn't spin...i've people stumble right into peoples strings all k'ed out gettin black eyes and shit and no one ever told them to stop...i guess you would just have to ask them or just start spinnig and wait to see if they tell you to put that shit away....u must have some people in clubs out there doin' it....to me it just goes hand in hand with the music....i couldn't imagine being in a club and not spinnig or at least seeing people, or at least one person spinnig.......well good luck.

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
A pair of Poi go everywhere with me, including clubs as for me it's a form of dancing. I haven't gone spinning in any mainstream clubs, but all techno/trance nights I go to have been OK with me spinning. I have even increased sales of Poi from stalls and taught people in the club. That's the only danger - people will ask you about them and ask to borrow them! Fine, just keep an eye on them.Number one rule is consideration for others. Make sure there's enough room to spin without hitting people (a short string helps for this). I wouldn't spin if the dance floor was crowded as it's greedy.I was once on a podium above a crowd and had to keep all my moves above the crowd's heads! My height helped but I had to keep my arms in the air constantly and they hurt afterwards!So, take them and enjoy! It's one of the best places to spin!Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
There is only one clubi have been to here in houston that doesnt allow spinning. Its understadable because its a really small place.Most of the time in clubs though its the people that have a problem with it. Youll get some that will watchand enjoy, but others find it a nuesance. Usually because they have been hit by some dumb-ass that didnt have any control.Dont walk out into the main dance area and start spinning in a dance circle. Thats down here is a no-no. I usually start of short, ten gradually lengthen them. I make sure the are is good and clear before i start as well. Just use your head and youll be fine..Super'------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I have two main bars I hit in the course of a weekend night out. I had to get the owners over the fear of getting more holes in thier ceilings, I guess acouple super leagth string ravers were there befor me. But in one bar they have a small patio, and the owner loves to watch me spin fire. In the other bar the owners a dick, However it is a very happining techno bar, so I've gotten away with my led's there acouple of times. And Led's work great for a bar, when ppl ask me if they can use the I go into the speal of how if they were to get wacked they wouldn't light up anymore... >------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

HaZZamember
23 posts

Posted:
See? thats what i mean...Just wanted to know if u ppl had had bad experiences with stringin in a club...As for me, im going to Innercity this year (one of the main reasons i started doing this.) I've been there before, and i have NEVER seen neone do poi there. Let alone in my club. I have nver seen anyone do it in public. ever. So thats why i want to do it... :-) Just for the reactions..Better get ready for all the "lemme try"'s... :-)neway, jsut tryin to get ur ppl's mind off other things a bit..guess it worked.. :-)

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i always have a set of old sticks and some ratty laces i let people use when im in a club or at a rave. I dont mind some people using them, but sometimes you wont touch spin your own sticks for almost 20 minutes. So i let them use my extra. That way i dont come across as a jerk, and someone gets a chance to enjoy spinning."S"

- Mark Twain

firestartermember
2 posts

Posted:
definately spin in clubs! i started spinning at house parties. i would just ask the host/ess of the party if they would be into me spinning fire in their backyards or some place where fire was safe, (concrete, etc), and it always worked out fine. sometimes the host/ess'es are really really into it and sometimes they really aren't. just like any venue, you have to feel out the vibe. i always spin in clubs if the vibe is right and the feeling is good...why the hell not? if there's enough space for it, people are way into it! always! just respect who's space it is (club owner, party thrower, home owner} and everything will work out fine...i am going to burning man in a week and we are having a geodesic dome with a sound system and a scaffolding stage for fire performers. i am the safety goddess so i am a bit nervous about people spinning fucked up and basically just respecting the space we've created in general. but i just have to trust the forces of the universe, ya know? my point in all this rambling: SPIN. when in doubt, SPIN. house parties (my favorite!); clubs; weddings; funerals (i have a friend who span at her father's funeral and she said it was a very powerful experience); birthday parties; bar-b-ques; festivals. when in doubt....spin!trust me on this one winkfirestarter~ (a.k.a Sierra)[This message has been edited by Sierra the Princess (edited 21 August 2001).][This message has been edited by Sierra the Princess (edited 21 August 2001).]

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
I think part of the problem for me is that people just don't understand how much room you really need to do poi swinging. When it get's crowded people just move closer towards you thinking that they're not going to get hit. I know they're going to get hit, and I feel like I should just keep spinning cuz really it's their fault right? But in reality if I hit them I know that I'm going to look like an asshole so I'll just stop spinning. I mean, that's all I can do right? I guess if you're in a club that's that crowded you probably shouldn't be spinning.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I have never hit anyone in a club or at a rave. I have spun in some pretty tight places too. Thats what helped me move around alot while spinning, trying to avoid hitting people.You can clear a space pretty quick, but you always ALWAYS have that one dumb ass that walks right into the circle and your space. Ok i change my previous statement. I have hit someone before, but it wasnt on accident. ill thump those assholes that walk right into you. "S"------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

- Mark Twain

WuGgaRoOmember
123 posts

Posted:
dude...dont worry..ive seen swingers almost everywhere...including mainstream junk/...and as long as u dont use chains instead of strings...and fire instewad of glowsticks...ull be fine

Follow Wuggarooism10)Dons't cheateth on thee's significant other9) If thou seest a pig that resembles thee's friend...dont eateth the pig...perhaps it is thee's friend8) If thou talkest shit..thou is a pansy7) Don't buttith into conversations for it will be over thous head6) Dont let stupid comments go unpunished they can only leadest to thous anyurysms5) Dont lie to your friends4) Thou areest what thou arest don't change thou for anyone 3) Masturbation isnt a crime2) When a horse comes up to thou and sayest baaa thou must run!1) Be excellent to eachother

Backpacker2kmember
30 posts

Posted:
the question thats been itching my ringpiece for ages is....can I swing at Gatecrasher???...o.k it's a bit mainstream, but....u.v Poi...glowsticks...whatever....can it be done?I've never been but am going on Sep 15th....just been wondering.cheers...dan

ABCDEFG...HIJKLMNOP...QRSTU and V..WXY and Zeeeee.Hey everybody look at me...now I know my ABC!

Annie Cmember
40 posts

Posted:
Itching my ringpiece???

Backpacker2kmember
30 posts

Posted:
Sorry.... a bit crude yes.I mean, itching my ringpiece = bugging meGod knows where I got the phrase from...I can only hope and pray you were'nt eating when you read about Dan's itchy ringpiece. You DO NOT wanna go there...trust me.Love, peace and forever ever itchy rings..Dan!

ABCDEFG...HIJKLMNOP...QRSTU and V..WXY and Zeeeee.Hey everybody look at me...now I know my ABC!

Annie Cmember
40 posts

Posted:
Thanks's BP2K....I was eating at the time....it wasn't a dig at you, I did find it amusing.....have you been spinning in a club yet....I don't think I would dare...to concious of people watching (and saying 'I can do better than that) or getting in the way...it would me who takes someones eye out...trust me!!Laters Groovers shockedAnnie