lusidmember
9 posts

Posted:
I'm just curious if anyone here made it to Fusion Fest in N.California last weekend! It was an amazing time and I saw a lot of incredible poi and staff spinning. I so wanted to be taught some new moves by these masters. But unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to meet any of them. So I had to settle for watching them in awe and dreaming that one day I would be half as good! Anyways, if any of you were there spinning Thanks for the wonderful contribution to one of the most amazing weekends of my life![This message has been edited by lusid (edited 24 August 2001).]

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Josh and Kate were there. Here's their review.
quote:
Well- what can I say about such an amazing festival?? (I'll try smile)Firstly,I can say with no hesitiation that I've never heard so much high quality psy-trance in my life. Almost all the heaadliners (there were about 12) played really amazing trance from stuff off the Green TIP comp to stuff off 3D Visions Download to GMS to the amazing live sets. The truely amazing sets were imo from Process who played some stuff from early TIP comps and then evolved thru some minimalfucked up live stuff to finish off with some stuff that I didnt really like - but the first 1.5 hours of it blew my mind. My nextfavourite was probly shakta then Atmos (minimal morning style) then Dimitri but it was all good! I wasnt impressed with the forest stage - mostly cuz thyey were playing right next to our campsite and overlapping the mainstage (sounded like a dJ playing two different CD's totally out of synch with the Crossfader in the middle smile)the fire twirling was also amazing...this one girl May was a world champion baton twirler, and could do things I'd never imagined possible. Things like throwing and catching a spinning firestaff fron between her legs while inverted (think capoeira style kick)...bloody amazing.The decor was also really nice. Good (expensive) banners, decent string art. The Venue was on top of a moutain - in a shallow depression, in a clearing in a state forest...which I think was a kind of hippie commune smileThe road in was seriously fucked up - there was some bits where I think most drivers would only have been comfortable driving a 4x4 - us in our little rented Dodge Neon with almost no ground clearence...it was more like damage control hehe - loved the focus.after 3.3miles of uphill first gear switchbacks, dust and lining up the bumps, we reached the venue; nice...very very very dry - quite scarily dry actually...had to put out a grass fire started by some dude's catelitic converter on the second day - a bit scarey - especially since most ppl were standing around waiting for superman or something to come do the work for them - lucky it didnt get too out of hand.Most camping was kinda slopey - but we were there early so we managed to get a decent position - and find some materials to build a makeshift platform to whack our tent up on...Fortunately the camping areas were relatively well shaded...although it was still too hot during the day to sleep....our routine became wake up at 2am dance /twirl through til about 10am, chillout til about 3pm go for a walk about the place til about 5 - try to sleep for awhile, eat dinner, go to sleep after dinner at about 9 wake up at 2am for the beginning of the headliners...it was amazing - after 2am the fullon crazy shit music didnt stop til about lunch time the next day! everyday! back to back headliners...with live sets mixed in smile))The lighting was basically non-existent...however there were some really fullon projection screens with the most amazing VJ'ing I've seen...I had a chat to one of the dudes running them - he told me his sets consisted of live digitally mixed video loops playing off a laptop...sweet...If anyone can remember the VJ'ing at Rainbow Serpent last year - it was much like that - but with more layers...and digital feedback effects thown in for good measure...The sound on the mainstage was provided by 50k of very clean PA...nice...although I dont think it was quite as nice as the rainbow Serpent PA...eh..I guess I can only compare to Rainbow Serpent, cuz thats the only party I've been to which compares to this one.. smileWe hooked up with a bunch of friendly ppl who are going to Burning Man too...which was nice....looking forwar5d to that one..still have to finalise arrangements...Dropped the car back, found a place to stay - slept for 15 hours smileKate is feeling much better now...walked across SF today - went to Amoeba records...what an amazing 2nd hand place! bought something like 14 CD's...didnt spend all that much either...(even after I convert back to Aussie dollars!!).Looking forward to Burning Man now..I've been hearing rumours all over that most of the acts from Fusion will be playing there - I hear there is a whole PsyTrance neighbourhood there...hard to decide between the fire twirling and the Psytrance neighbourhoods to establish a base...I guess I have to look deep inside to find my true alliance...although its hard - I havent burned since returning from Fusion...the Pulse of the Festival PA is still ringing in my mind...Love,Josh
Finn smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yeah it was amazing for me too smileKate and I had an awsome time...I'd doubt I was one of the 'masters' you were talking about, but I certainly twirled alot. I think I was the only guy there with shoulder length brown dreads who twirled poi and staves...I was always twirling at the back of the main area in the morning when the sun was coming up smileahh fusion...looking forward to BM!Josh

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Ah, our humble little Josh. As if you weren't "one of the masters" smileEspecially with that list of new moves. smileHow many times did you say you can do btb butterfly? tongue wink grin