Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
Hey I got a question! I hope this is the right board to post it on.Are there any fire groups in the NYC area? I live about 30-35 minutes away from the city, and there's nobody to learn from up here! Anyone know of a group that's out there where I can associate with other twirlers and maybe get some help for my first light-up?Q

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi Q, Sorry I don't have any information to help you out. I'm actually in the same situation you're in. I go to school about 30 miles from NYC and i'm very interested in finding a group since i'd like to light up for the first time soon. You can email me at gtuschak@aol.com Please keep in touch.-gabi

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey, i don't live as close to the city, but i am in new york, upstate, near syracuse. i don't know if your into the rave scene, but you can find help there sometimes. it was a friend i met at a rave that introduced me to this site. but if there is any groups i would like to know about them.

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
Hey thanks anyways guys. I appreciate the input.

Gabimember
3 posts

Posted:
alright... so I was browsing through the "meet others" section and there must have 40 of you living in or close to nyc and I'm having trouble believing that there's not one group out there. I'm bumping this up in hopes that someone who has some information somehow missed this post and will respond this time around. And if the case is that there really does not exist one group in the manhattan area, then i propose to start one, perhaps we could have weekly gatherings in one of the city's numerous parks. we only need a couple to start a group. Hoping to hear from you,-gabi

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
Good Call Gabi!I was thinking the same exact thing, but I'm not able to get into the city that often. If I had a group to twirl with, maybe that could change. You know of a good park or something where we could twirl and spin, and at the same time not get in trouble with the cops? I don't know how they perceive it. Anyway, hope you check back and see this.Q

Gabimember
3 posts

Posted:
Glad we're on the same train of thought... There's a park on 9th street, between avenues A and B, i think it's called Tompkins park or square. It's pretty layed-back since there aren't many tourists, just local neighbor hood folk. Or if you want a bit more scenic , as well as touristy park there's Washington park around west 3rd or 4th and 5th avenue, (there's this great waterfountain there too) As for those police.. really don't have a clue as to how their going to react, guess there's really only one way to find out.Let me know which days are best for you. my email is madtofu@aol but maybe we should keep this thread open and going for any others who are interested. Keep well-gabi

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
Very cool!Washington Square Park sounds cool, I kinda like that fountain idea. Might be a place to grab some attention if we desire, or maybe earn a couple of cents. My baseball cap should be sufficient for that. Would we spin fire or glowsticks? I have stuff for sticks, but would love to start fire. Think you could help me out with that?As for the police, I'm sure they would watch for a bit before they would do anything. If we don't screw up, maybe they'd let us stay for a while.Find me, fyreworkz@aol.com. We'll keep on discussing it.Hey! Anyone else out in the world interested in meeting in a NYC park, get in touch with us!Keep on Spinning,Q

klubkidnycmember
25 posts

Posted:
hey guys.....i'm in nyc and looking for some people to spin with....never messed around with fire, but got loads of glowsticks..... well my email is cujo106@aol.com.......... i'm kinda tired of spining alone..some company would be nice......

Gabimember
3 posts

Posted:
nice... looks like there's going to be at least 3 of us... does that qualify us as a "group"? Amazing the things you can do on the computer. I guess the only thing left to do really is pick a day. Just to throw something out there, how are thursdays or fridays? Let me know if there are more convenient days, my schedule is very flexible at the moment.As for fire or glowsticks, I only started spinning last month and I've spun with fire three times now. I haven't done glowsticks, but I'm willing to try especially after last night's near mishap (nearly burned my eyelashes) It sounds like we're all pretty interested in learning fire. Do you guys have wicks and all. I got frustrated trying to make mine and finally ordered them from Home of Poi (which sell seperately from the chains for about 25$ a pair) I guess that's all, let me know about those dates.Can't wait to meet everyone,gabi

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
This is great. My boss just went to Ibezia and now she is asking me to find people who can do this in NYC. I know this is short notice BUT if any one lives in NYC and would like to come to your audition for new talent, that would be great!!OPEN CALLWe are looking for “NEW TALENT”Dancer, Model, and Street PerformerAugust 22, 2001 NY - Ripley – Grier Studios520 Eighth Ave (between 36 & 37 Street)Floor 16 Studios H2:00 PM – 6:00 PMPlease bring current photo & resumeYou will be required to DanceMTM_jobsearch@hotmail.ComIf you can't make let me know how to get in touch with you.Thanks...

Gabimember
3 posts

Posted:
Tonya, I can probably make it but can you elaborate on just what this audition is for? and what is ibezia? Also, i've only been doing this stuff for a month and im not sure what the proper procedures are for indoor fire. Do you think it would be a better idea to wait until I master the art? I know.. this is like 20 questions but can you leave me your email so i can keep in touch with you and will there be later auditions? Alright that was the last question.Hope to hear from you... and my email is madtofu@aol-gabi

Gabimember
3 posts

Posted:
Another thing.. Do you guys need music to spin to? I have a friend who might be able to drum for us if you guys are into that stuff, otherwise there's always the boombox.And Gobo, wondering where you are... still interested?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Gabi whats up! Its Scott Sara's b-friend. Remember me? I've been checking out home of poi, what a cool site. Thanks for telling me about it. It is nice to find someone who is into this stuff. It has been pretty boring by myself. listen if you want to get together some time, just let me know when! I have every afternoon off. It would be cool to spin with someone. I have been doing it for a while but never knew the names of the moves, and weather I was doing them right. Thats what makes Home of Poi such a cool sight. Just get in touch with me sometime and we will get together if you would like

klubkidnycmember
25 posts

Posted:
yeah this great!!....this could be the start of something really kool...my schedule is pretty flexible right now also..well just let me know and we can meet up and have some fun....i try to share my new found passion with my brothers and friends but i don't get much more than "yeah that looks nice"... when i tell them to grab the strings and try maybe they will pick them up smack themselves once or twice and say "oh yeah thats great"...sarcasticly of course...... so new friend with the same intrests in spinning is like a dream come truecujo106@aol.comlet me know

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Ahhhh! I never read the events section and now I feel awful! YES, there are many spinners in NYC. I've been spinning all summer. Unfortunately, most of them are away at burning man now. I've hit up Union Square park a few times. There are two girls from Mexico who spin there nightly but do it for tips. I also hit up a few other parks and stuff. I think the scene will be dead until the end of BM but maybe we can hook up and spin sometime soon?

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
Wow!I've only been away for a week, and it's amazing how busy the board has been! Definitely very cool! I'm definitely up for some spinning. Don't know about it so soon, currently I work in the evenings. However, once school starts, I think my evenings will open up. I agree klubkidnyc, this is definitely the start of something cool. Keep the post going, I'm sure we'll find a date when we can all meet together.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i was actually toolin around for some lessons i have never spun before and would love to learn this group sounds like an awesome idea!please post if you guys decide a date for the group and i would have no problems payin someone to teach me if anyones availible

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
See the related post in "events and gatherings" for a park gathering this Friday, August 31.[This message has been edited by NYC (edited 30 August 2001).]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

kmember
1 post

Posted:
It breaks my heart to read all this because I've been loking for people to spin with in NYC for the longest time and now I know about a group spin going down and i'm out of town! Well, if you guys are wanting to start a fire group I'd like to get in on it sometime, if thats okay and all. I twirl with fire, I've lit up many times and i'm good with poi and staff and I am currently teaching myself doubles. If anyone cares e-mail me Kamelk666@aol.com. Oh by the way, I live in Manhattan if that makes any difference.

Cootsmember
5 posts

Posted:
I ran into a few people twirling in union sq. a few weeks a go. If you're looking for a place to spin wash sq. closes at night and thompkons sq. is ghetto (unsafe), but union is central w/ wide open spaces. I'd look to meet there.-Coots

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
True dat. I just picked Washington because it's a daytime event. I've spun at Union a few times with the Mexican girlies that spin there. It's pretty fun.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]