Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I got to spin for a wedding last night and it was incredible. Didn't have a clue what to do with my liquid torches but everyone seemed to love it..Everyone's jaw dropped when I trailed my staff alight. Got asked all night if I was for hire. The dj's are gonna be contacting me about some more stuff. But here's my questions.When should I have my tip jar out? It was my friends wedding and I didn't really wanna go to make money.. I ended up having this one dude come right up to me while I was swinging towels around. I was traced out and he just seemed to appear within reach of my swinging.I freaked out and screamed at him to go away he came like right up to my side. He was trying to hand me a 20 :P My first tip since I started 7 months back.How do I handle stupid ppl that want to impress me? One of the guys there named wonko had some screws lose. He pulled me over to the side of the house so it was just me and him. He had a bottle of zippo fluid and two candles I *begged* him to tell me what he was about to do.. Without an answer he took a swig of zippo and *tried* to blow a fireball. Oh did I ever freak him out, after he did that I told him all the side affects from the zippo fuel and also told him about all the ways it could blowback. Then I showed him the right way to asperate up into the air and pointed out *all* the reasons that I don't do it. Then I dunno what was wrong with the other dude but he tried to light his smoke off a pallete fire! This is the first time I've ever seen ppl act like this when I'm around. Is there any way to prevent this kinda behavour?------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hi Knagi,congratulations first of all. I know that this kind of nice feedback while performing feels good !Just to tell you my personal feeling (but I am not a professional performer) I would not mix the joy of spinning for a dear friend's wedding and money... so I'd just forget about the tip jar and keep it for parties where I am actually hired for performance, know what I mean ?As for stupid people who want to impress you ... I am still really trying hard to learn to handle stupid people in general myself. Can't help you, but if you find the solution then make sure you tell me...In martial arts I beleive that the most advanced masters are those who can avoid conflict... However, when I witness such lobotomy (does this word exist in english frown ?) I tend to lose my temper.shine oncassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I have 2 suggestions regarding the money thing. Maybe one will work for you?1) If you can have a speaking time at the begining request that all questions and approaches be held till the end. You can use that period also to state not to do that at home. smile Then you can accept the money from them in comfort. If you don't have time to speak, maybe make a little sign or something?- or -2) If you have a safety, let them handle crowd control. If people are trying to give money right then, agree on the money thing with the safety and let them handle it.As for the acceptance of moneys. If they want to you may want to let them give it to you. If you really feel funny about taking their money, resist once but accept it if they insist. Even better might be to tell them to hire you for a gig or get a friend to hire you for a gig. That will be better than the tip. If you have business cards be sure to give them to the person. I'm not sure about this last paragraph, but it's something to consider.As for the stupid things people do to impress you. Express your displeasure for their attempts and maybe encourage them to hire a professional to do the fire for them. Maybe someone like you? Then hand them a business card.Congrats on the DJ's contacting you. That will be quite helpful I'd think.------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I had this one guy come up to me at a beach rave and try to jump through the flames to be inside with me. Later that night he burnt his hand really badly by picking a log up out of the bon-fire (right in front of a cop too). Another time some guy tried to grab one of the wicks while a friend was spinning. When he got burned, he shouts, "that's REAL fire!" What other kind of fire is there? confusedIt is a shame that our society has essentially eliminated natural selection, as immolating the idiots in a fireball would be a poetic way to deal with them.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
Didn't you know theres a special kind of fake fire, which all of us fire dancers use so as not to get burnt? wink

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I found the fake fire that night. This stuff is amazing. Sterno canned heat. No clue what's in it or if it's toxic or not. But it does in fact burn colder then fire. You can still get burned with it but I was doin some like 10 to 15 second trailing on my hand with it. It's got an odd soapy smell to it too. What is this stuff??------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
As for the sterno comment look here ... https://www.candlecorpfs.com/msds.htm------------------Blessings
to all, Peter "There is a rhythm that unites us with the natural world. The more we learnto feel that rhythm and get it into the mainstream of our lives, thestronger can be our spirit."--- Robert Rodale

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
GENERAL USE: A gelled alcohol food warming fuel. Fuel is SDA-3A (ethyl alcohol denatured with methyl alcohol.) (Throws the can in the trash grumbling.)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks SteelWings, and after sifting through the site..this was about all the useful information I found..."Safety a non-toxic ethanol formulation. Even when the lids come off in a typical serving environment, Sterno Brand gel will reach and maintain the FDA minimum Food Holding Temperature of 140 degrees!"And btw Knagi...in trailing the flame can last longer than 10 seconds, but will burn you after that. It depends on how much and what kind of fuel you use. All fuels will trail if there is enough of it on the wick! wink Some just drip more than trail!Now, about the tipping thing. Having performed for so long, and having performed for tips this is the advise I can offer....If tips are something you are not comfortable with I was taught to turn it down, if the person persists, accept it with a thank you.For a tip jar, find something creative to use that people can not reach into and take your money out ex: an empty gallon wine jug, and empty paint can, a decorated fuel container. Clearly mark it that it is yours, so if someone tries to walk with it, it is identifiable. Also if you keep the recommeneded 15 feet of space around you, you can put it on a little stand 2 feet within that circle so everyone will see whomever drops money...not only giving others the idea but also making it difficult for people to walk off with it. If you feel the need to make mention of it try something like "To help defray the costs of fuel so that I may continue to entertain you, there is a tip jar if you should feel so compelled".At ren faire I get to be even more creative than that, at least at those where I work for tips (I used to give flogging lessons for a dollar! wink, now I am going ask kids if they know what trick or treating is? Whoever brings back the fullest statchel gets a treat!)As for people walking into the fire, grabbing wicks...*sigh* it is a sad thing that people can't just enjoy and need to be stupid, however, if someone gets that close to you, then your safety isn't doing a very good job, or there is a mob (if it's the second I recommend you douse your fire and scoot out of there!).When I spin for friends, I spin for free..not tips unless someone really wants to offer one up. When I spin for shows, I have a contracted payment agreement..though there are faires that make you work for tips as a supplement but it keeps the performers on their toes!There you go...Pele's thoughts on tips, not that you really wanted to know anyway! ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i was busking once and this pissed nut-case picked up one of my staffs dipped it and lit up (so quick i didnt even see him) the staff flew out of his hand out onto the road and was run over within 3 seconds, my staff was split in 3 pieces. i was horrified, not to mention pissed off, with a hurried apology he gave me 100 bucks and bolted, the money bought me a new staff but the magic i had created with the original was lost on the wheels of some ones car, that was the worst but there is so much more good things that have occured

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Just a quick comment on a tip jar that can't be stolen from by Pele.I've used a box the same colour as my costume ever since I started and was worried to start with about other people nicking it/money.But after hundreds of nights busking, I've only ever had trouvle like this twice.Once this drunk islander just wandered over, grabbed a handfula nd wandered off and another time this guy tried to look like he way putting money in and trying to grab more out.Each time, the people watching abused and berated the guys (nothing physical thankfully) and then proceeded to empty their pockets into the box again. Those two 'takes' immediately following the thefts were three times as much as usual, and I still think I ended up making more money than if it hadn't happened.Now how cool is that????------------------Charleshttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
So wait a sec does that mean this sterno stuff is incredibley safe? I'm more then happy to accept tips. However I'm normally to nerves to make a speech befor I start. I do however have a really nice tip jar. Got a large glass vase it's clear and I water painted flames on the bottem half and wrote tips on the top half. I place a candle behind it to light the flames up. I've come up with a way to light the candle in back of it when I get done with my trailing torches. Maybe I'll just leave it lit from now on.And as for the guy walking up on me... I still haven't been able to find a decent saftey. I've tried belive me.. Last one I tried training sucked sooooo damn bad! Like he was standing on the oppisite side of me from the towel just watching most of the time, but without the towel. The others well they just kinda get so stoned they walk off. Sometimes *with* the towel to find something fun to do. I just have a lack of sobar friends frownI don't care how messed up they are when I'm in that circle I will yell and scream at them till they get the idea. I've settled on a plan. Bedsheets and a bucket! grin I'll find a video camera for it too and send in some vid's if I can get them converted.