Forums > Social Chat > Spinning with eyes closed

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hello from Tallahassee Fl. I haven't met other spinners here so it's hard to find people to help me on my questions. But I learn all my moves with my eyes closed. Does any one else do this?? is it good? I think it helps me tune in

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
If I am having a real problem learning a new move, I'll try it with my eyes closed for a while. This often helps. Sometimes it doesn't.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hi Justin,Superman posted a thread about spinning without arms a while ago and the subject of spinning with eyes closed appeared in it. Ever since I have been spinning more and more with my eyes closed. First because it is a whole new sensation, an 'inner voyage" and also because it is great exercize for body balance, for knowing your body limits, for feeling the surrounding... but truth is, it does not really help me learn new moves. When I do practice one move to improve, my eyes are rather wide opened. Only when I am in bed do I close my eyes and try to re-do the move in bed to figure out what could be wrong...Shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
I tend to do a lot of twirling with my eyes closed, espically when twirling in a club where lights can be a distraction for the brain. (Although I often dance with eyes closed as well so it might just be my heavy eyelids!) Even when my eyes are open they're rarely trcaking the Poi.Being good at Poi is a lot about having control of where the Poi are, and knowing where they are as well. Maybe more importantly you need to know where they're going next! The best way to do this is by feel. Poi become an extension of the hand, so let your hands tell you where they are. Vision becomes too slow.So, I agree, having my eyes closed allows me to 'feel' where the Poi are, and when learning a new trick this can be very useful.Just don't fall asleep while spinning fire!

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Just a question to all of you :when you spin for a while with eyes closed :a. do you tend to move just as much or do you dance less ?b. do you sometimes lose balance ?c. when you open your eyes, do you always know what you are facing or is it always a complete surprise ?d. does it awaken your other senses more eg spinning fire with my eyes shut, I smell the kero a lot more and the "woosh" sound suddenly has another dimension...Sorry, Justin, it is a bit off topic, but you got me thinking ! thank you !shine onCassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 21 August 2001).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
I like to spin with my eyes closed, it's a good challenge and meditation. But shit, I always lose my balance! People must think i'm drunk! I don't always know where I am when I open my eyes, and sometimes feel dizzy. But I hardly ever spin on something flat so that doesn't help either...Nomad

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
I really like spinning with my eyes closed or blindfolded. The latter is a definite crowd pleaser. I find that if there is a single, loud music source I have very little trouble locating my position and orientation. Of course, spinning with headphones removes all sonic sources of reference and provides a completely different sensation when you are already blindfolded.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
This has been a subject of conversation here before.I enjoy twirling with my eyes shut--I feel that I tune in a little better to what my muscles are doing. I usually don't get disoriented when I do this--well, I don't get more disoriented than if I had my eyes open. With some moves where I go around in circles, I can get a little dizzy. I move around at least as much.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
i love spinning with my eyes shut, i actually feel more confident... maybe that's why i always try btb moves and my poi always tangle... untying poi while blindfolded is more challenging anyway ;]

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Thor my good fellow,
did you do a search for the oldest thread you could find just so you could bump it up? tongue

!!!! ALL HAIL THE BUMP !!!!

vaperloc...the mightylook @my member
466 posts

Posted:
I actually found it easier to learn while blinfolded.
I always feel like i am goin bruce lee on somebodys ass.
kwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

There are no obstacles only challenges.
Very funny scotty now beam down my pants.
[colour."green"}What would willie do?

AHH theres too many wee leprechauns i cannae squash them all

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Totally agree on this one. Eyes shut helps the brain focus way more. I learnt my BTB and hyperloop with my eyes shut cool

Let's relight this forum ubblove

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
yes i enjoy a good eyes closed spin. its always good.
it makes you feel where your poi are going but i never really look at my poi anyway except for doing throws which are a current fave.
i do lose balance occasionally and generally have no idea which way im facing after a good jump around poi swingy session.
if you really want to fall over take mushrooms then do poi blindfold. the patterns you make on the inside of your eyes follow the circle your hands make. it is amazing and reveals things about your movment you never thought of before.
but you do fall over while not even moving your feet at all.
another one would be blindfold AND handcuffed. its interesting but not actually very exiting as there are not many poi maves you can do handcuffed

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

RosscoOfficial HoP hobbity potato monster!
434 posts

Posted:
Spinning blindfolded is great, especially when there are people there who dont even know what poi are. hvnt tried spinning fire blindfolded yet, i'm not sure why, maybe i'll give it a go tonight. biggrin

thanks for sharing the experience originalsmit, i'll make sure i try that. if i want to fall over that is. wink

O.B.E.S.E. Official Potato man.

Remeber kids.... Its all fun and games until someone loses a bol**ck! biggrin

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Spinning with my eyes closed is really nice. I would never do it with fire though. I get soooo disorientated when I spin with fire anyway. I can't ever see beyond the flames and usually end up miles away from where I started!!

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
S'true - last time ParaffinFairy spun fire she started in Guildford and woke up on a train to Cardiff wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

addict
469 posts

Posted:
how careless!!
on the falling over thingy . im trying to fal over from a weace and end up on my back spinning butterfly.
falling over with a tiny bit of style and continuing poi movements. anyone else enjoy fallingover
(i cant quite beleive im typing this)
or have any other good falling over moves

this one is shorter

RosscoOfficial HoP hobbity potato monster!
434 posts

Posted:
yeah, ive got this wicked falling over move, you do a 360 windmill over and over and over again until your legs feel light and a bit squishy, then just collapse in a heap on the ground and the poi cange from a wall plane to a face thwack plane and i t just looks amazing, took me months to get that one down! wink

O.B.E.S.E. Official Potato man.

Remeber kids.... Its all fun and games until someone loses a bol**ck! biggrin

addict
469 posts

Posted:
wall plane.
side planes.
floor plane......
face thwack plane..hmmmm good inventive stuff

this one is shorter

Sharon_CummingsBRONZE Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
I'm in Tallahassee too. keen to spin with others. i'm not very advanced but enjoy trying new moves. Is there a regular group of poi sninners meeting in tallahassee??

Kerosene_FalconSILVER Member
fire twirly girly
46 posts

Posted:
I spin and hoop with my eyes covered a lot, makes my other senses work, good practise for spinning at night when the only bit you see is a ball of flames smile
it looks pretty wicked in a performance if you blind fold yourself

Of course my horse is clumsy he has two left feet