mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
Is anyone here planning to go to the Welsh Green Gathering (successor event to the late lamented Big Green Gathering)? It's on 16th to 19th august near Llanelli. If it's anything like the old BGG, we're looking at a 'proper' (i.e. unforgivably hippy) little festival with music, good food, healers, shamans, lots of activists having a rest and planning for the future, plenty of fire at night, and a whole bunch of freedom.website's at https://www.big-green-gathering.com/wales.htmlthe
BGG was where I first met the joy of Fire, and I'm really looking forward to going back and putting back some of what I took out of the last one.I'll be there. Who's going to join me?mikeyB

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
I would if I could...... frownHave a fabulous time and send us some piccies.Noods

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

ChloeBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
Hey Mikey.I'm def heading down there if it's on, just passed my driving test and hoping to have a big ex royal mail van 2 live in by then smileHowever, i spoke to one of the organisers who was saying they were having difficultys with the site and were trying to find another. U heard anything? Ne way, should def meet up for a spin if we both make it down there. Have you had replies from any other people yet?Chloe

Chloe.
-I'm dancing through the fire just to catch a flame-
Paul Weller

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
Ah, yes, it is looking a bit $%^ed at the moment.https://www.big-green-gathering.com/walessadnews.htmlBasically, the Dyfed-Powys police have decided that using a purpose built festival site to house a festival which the biggest commercial organic farmer in Britain has welcomed onto his land for the last 7 years (and Mark Houghton-Brown's a commercial hardnut, not a hippy by any means), aimed mainly at environmental activists, where alcohol will not be on sale, where no vehicles or diesel generators are allowed on site, organised by people who English Heritage regularly use as consultants on clean, safe ways of organising events, would inevitably turn into a giant riot with, well, here's what they say:(from the site) Dyfed Powys Police licensing office Tony Davies is also reported to have said "I'm afraid that if the festival went ahead we would be left with 25 acres of land which would be filled with human waste, diesel and cannabis, as well as other matters which I will not go into." (end of quote).Latest thing is the Lottery Commision are investigating whether this means the original application for £26 million funding for a "public festival site as part of a People's Park" was in fact a fraud.meanwhile, the crew are desperately looking for 100 acres of land with good road access in the area, but so far they haven't found anything.Are you getting a sense of how cross this might be making me? Particularly given the work we all put in at previous Gatherings after the 'last day', cleaning up the site thoroughly and scrupulously as a simple matter of courtesy and thanks for the generosity of our hosts...mikeyB

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a mighty fine idea, plus being a 'beginner' poi-king and a dabble with Devil sticks, I could do with a few pointers!! Looking forward to it.L8ersMBOOM SHANKAR!!

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

tall_firemember
4 posts

Posted:
mikeythe E1 Festival in Norwich on the 4th August is along the same lines as the BGG... check out the website at www.festivalsRus.co.uk for info on stages, eco groups, chill out zones...all renegade/organised/independent/groups of/variety of fire twirlers invited to spin away the evening to whatever music takes your fancy... from hand drums to drum and bass!

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
Latest update:the Gathering is now on again (honest!?), they've found a new site and expect to announce the venue on the 6th, once the contracts are signed. Details at the same address at the top of this thread.tickests still valid, camping tickets valid from Weds 15th Aug to Mon 20th.Definitely going. Really. so long as I can...mikeyB

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey, I (an occasional lurker) might pop into this! I'm probably gonna be in Wales climbing sometime round then. It'd be good to see a bunch of hippies and do some fire.Lynley