SpinSin2005member
7 posts

Posted:
What are the biggest wicks that you have ever used? I think that the bigger wicks make for a better visual performance. However I must admit that the larger the flame the more limited you are in the moves you can do with out burning yourself...

[ 09. November 2003, 13:01: Message edited by: SpinSin2005 ]

SpinSin the Sinister Fire Addict

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Welcome!

Looks like we ar in the same neck of the woods (I'm in Houston at least every other weekend).

Anyway, the largerst wicks I have ever used are 2 inch square catherdral style wicks. You will be amazed at how close to your body you can get with a much larger sized flame.

There is a spinner in town who uses 4 inch square cathedral wicks. Those put out a really huge flame. However, they are also extremely heavy and require lots of body strength to wield. He does have a pair of 6 inch wicks wrapped around coffee cans which are much lighter than the 4 inch ones and produce a flame just slightly larger. He is able to do wraps with both of these wicks, and his facial experssions while doing so say it all.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I personally really like lots of fire. My standard wicks are about 4X4X4 waffles, lots of surface area. My really big wicks are each the size of vollyballs and are quite the workout. They work best when it's cold out. When the air is warm I sometimes have to put them down. I also use straight white gass or coleman fuel which produces larger flame. I do not suggest really big fire. It's not for everyone. and you have to like the smell of burnt hair.

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

SpinSin2005member
7 posts

Posted:
Thanks
I usually use the biggest Catheral style wicks that my loop bolts can hold.. I am already using 30 gauge chains so the poi are relatively heavy already.. I like it that way I get better control. I'm no wuss. I still get hella speed when I'm spinning. I LOVE FIRE. THE BIGGER THE BETTER...

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've used wicks made of 3" wicking, which clocked in at over 1 lb each when soaked. The first time I lit up with them was an incredible rush--I had the same feeling I had when I had my first burn ever. But these were, well, too much. I was limited in how much I could do with them because of the weight. I also found that they burned much hotter than smaller wicks, making me shy away from some near-contact moves.

Right now I'm using wicks made of 2.5" wicking, which seems to be just right for me. That half an inch really does make a difference.
EDITED_BY: adamrice (1069184158)

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

SpinSin2005member
7 posts

Posted:
I'm the Co-Founder of a Fire tribe called Zion's Flame, we are always looking for new members.. If you are interested you should e-mail me through this e-mail or become a member of our yahoo group ubbloco.....
Regardless....
Thanks for the reply
SpinSin

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
you're a little slow on the uptake with the fire tribe and yahoo group in Houston. Spritie is/was a member of (the now defunct?) Empyrean fire tribe (been doing gigs for a couple of years now), and is one of the originals on GreatBallsOfFire - the yahoo group for houston fire spinners that's been around for about 3 years. Same went for me till I moved to South Africa.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
the biggest wicks I've ever seen spun were about 8 inces high by about 5 inches in diameter - wicking wrapped around a coffee can - made by my friend Rob in Houston. I have a pic of them on my old web page - second from the bottom.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Thanks for making me notice this topic again. I just sent you an e-mail spinsin. Empyrean is not defunct, and I am still a member, although I do think not much has happened troupe wise since the Astroworld show.

laZyBRONZE Member
94 posts

Posted:
I make my wicks out of old towles and coathangers ( www.firechains.com ) recently I used an extra fluffy towel for a charity performance. The Wicks looked a little bigger than usual but that didn't bother me particularly. Once I soaked them their weight tripled, I got a little worried, scince the wicks were now about as heavy as half a brick each. When I lit them the flames were so big, the tip of the flame was higher than my chains (Never hapened before), I had to spin in order to keep my arms from being cooked. Once I get a picture account I'll put up the pics.
laZy

as laZy as .....