LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Allo,

I haven't been spinning for very long so pardon me if this is a pointless question/post, but I'm just curious.. I've been learning moves, I'm teaching myself so I'm trying to get new ones every couple days. But I'm having problems linking them together into a smooth series. I know it just takes time and I'll eventually figure out my own methods, but I'm curious as to you're "favorite combos" like weave - corkscrew type of things. Both the "simple" things like that that look good and the "more complex" things like a fountain..

Thanks for any input

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
butterfly to butterfly corkscrew, wrap, buzzsaw corkscrew, weave, giant weave, BTB weave, lots of wraps.....

that's usually where I start when I'm practicing.. but in all honesty, all you need to know is the major transitions between families, because the mvoes themselves are linkable via the families..

for instance.. all the butterfly stuff can be done from the butterfly and the bf weave stuff can be done from the bf weave(including bf corkscrews and the like) all weave stuff can be done from the weave family (btb and windmilss included)... same for buzzsaw stuff.. repeat ad infinitum...

so you just need to learn how to transition between the families.. and then apply that in different places..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Watch videos.

I find myself saying "Oh crap?! How did he link those two moves?! Oh wait, it's easy!"

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Stalls and turns are your friends for nice transitions. Learn how to stall one poi at a time to transition yourself between butterflies and chases. Learn how to turn every which way to transition between different chase and butterfly moves. Thats really the best advice I can give. The rest depends on practice and finding stuff on your own as you have said.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i like to start on butterfly based things, then subtley (or not) throw in the odd stall, and weave based things, and before you know it
you find yourself in a fountain, (after fannying around with stalls and the region between butterfly and weave for a while).
i then like to go back to a butterfly, shortern my chains, and experiment with between the arm stuff.

a good combo i try and do alot, is from a corkscrew, wrap a poi around your body, go into thread the needle over your head, and then wrap a poi around your body to go back to corkscrew, i really like this. i first saw it on one of the spinning in paris videos, and the girl doing it makes it look really good

[ 09. November 2003, 10:23: Message edited by: oli ]

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
To find your flow do a move you're very comfortable with and do it every way you can. Do 180 degree turns to reverse or 90 degree turns with waves. There's nothing you can't do if you don't let hitting yourself get in your way.

One thing that always helps me flow: put in your favorite cd. You'll find yourself eventually dancing while you poi.

Have fun!

Genuineness only thrives in the dark -- like celery.