Page:
DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I wanted to put a few ideas out there for people to play with. These aren't Jedi. They're not new. They're not 'my' moves. There's a whole load of variations that lead from and to them. And I don't want people to start discussing them too geekily. They're just ideas to give to people who might not have seen them yet. And they all look better if you smile too.

The Wheelchair - Same time isolations at your sides between your arm and your torso.
This is just one member of a large family of moves (a family called 'poi moves'), but got a name because it was for too good a naming opportunity to miss! There's a whole load of other variations - split time, in front, internal to external, internal tuck-turns, etc... You figure them out.

Tap Backs
Spin backwards at your side, slowly. As the poi head passes 45 degrees past horizontal on it's rise release the handle so that the head continues towards you. Quickly bring your hand up to impact with the poi head, sending it back whence it came. The handle will be somewhere, grab it and keep spinning. Can also be done the other way, with poi coming over your shoulder.

These stem from seeing club juggling tap backs, which I can't do. These seem to work with my sock poi - haven't tried other socks/tail/fire/goblin/whatever poi. Speed, point of release and possibility of it working at all are dependent on your poi.

Mid Chain Grabs
Stop powering the poi so that you can move your hand from the centre of rotation and grab hold of the chain near the poi head, spin a revolution, then let go into the original poi circle.

Isolated Throws
Spin backwards. As the poi head reaches horizontal push the handle down. The poi will isolate and the handle will return to you.

Catches
Don't let jugglers have all the fun! Catch and throw your poi. There's two different ways to catch your poi:
pull - If you stop your hand giving poi circular momentum a small hand movement can pull the poi back into your hand. This makes catches nice and easy in all positions, and allows some great exaggerations.
fall - Just stop powering the poi and it'll fall. With practice it'll fall nicely into the palm of your had. This looks a bit smoother than a pull catch, but is a bit harder, especially when catching from behind.

Flatlining and Flicks
Gotta dig them cheesy names! Basically a pull catch which misses and so dissects the circle of poi movement and forms a semicircle. Bounce = flick from a Gilligan

Throws and drops
What else you going to do once you've caught it?

Bounce poi
Don't let bounce jugglers have all the fun! Put big bouncy balls on a rope (or buy a suitable dog toy) and find a flat, hard floor. If you've even seen club bounce juggling you know what I mean.

Enjoy

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Musashii - Do I smell the sweet scent of a believer?

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
spinsin...
looks like a saw blade,
sounds like a buzzsaw

ppp what would you call a buzzsaw in pi alpha zee notation?
and mores to the point.
why do you call a cat, a cat?

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
hey 3p-o(i)...

it's an intersting idea man and one that needs some thought. when i first read it, it seemed like technical jargon, but the more i think about it.. what we're doing is technical!

i think you've got to be careful about completley disasociating yourself with the existing language of poi though, if you want to create a smooth process of learning from begginer through intermediate to technical. there needs to be point of reference to existing and understood phrases/moves such as TTN which visually aid us to understand what someone is explaining...

also there are many that love the weird and whacky names and moves that get used as it add's flavour to what otherwise could become far too mathmatical and precise...

i do like the idea of naming the planes though as it could really help explanations!

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
hmm, ye just might

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Glass is right. "Cat" does not adequitely describe the animal.

PoiPoiPoi, we've actually got a term that EVERY english speaking poi reigon uses to describe a move and you're suggesting we change it? I don't know anyone that doesn't use "thread the needle"...

Plus, have you ever threaded a needle? It's exactly the same motion! It's the only name that makes sense!

You crazy.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nyc - this is not about individual names; it is a notation system.

'plural zee alpha' is still 'thread the needle', just as '333' is still 'three ball cascade'.

geddit?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Thought I'd contribute to a thread hijacked by geeks. GEEKS! the lot of ya!

quote:
I don't know anyone that doesn't use "thread the needle"...

Plus, have you ever threaded a needle? It's exactly the same motion! It's the only name that makes sense!

Years ago I got taught the push-through - which makes a lot more sense than TTN. And the cross-follow also makes a lot more sense that the weave. But most of the time I still refer to moves I'm teaching people as 'this one' and 'that one'.

And I've threaded many needles. It tends to involve squinting, licking the end of a peice of thread and occasionally pricking yourself. Hope of this happens during poi. At least not my poi!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo dom,

was having a little go at thoes tap-backs last night, theyre great fun! thanks not shure about the wheelchair tho.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Dom, is this what you mean by 'tap backs'?

'split time outwards 180 release with 360 tap back'

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Tap back= club move where you hit the other end of the club in mid flight, then catch the handle.

also called slap backs:
https://www.peapot.net/tocmenu/index.html

go to radical club news, then video clips, the first trick sequence in the first video is jay gilligan !!!! doing them with fish.
Doms doing them with poi.

Also If you haven't seen it before, I recommend you check out :
This Just In - Maksim's traps
at the bottom of the list
not for poi, but just cos maksim is aultrabadassjugglingdude

[ 13. November 2003, 12:24: Message edited by: Glåss ]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Can't see videos due to silly bank security proxy server, but if Jay's being unkind to fish again maybe we should call the RSPCA or something?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
*Bumping this up from months ago...*

Went into the depths of my cataloged moves that "I can't do yet" and busted out some tap backs. With huge fire wicks and lamp oil.

Big flames, no hair on hands, no burns (cuz my wicks have little exposed metal) and big fun.

When the wick is 'taped back' it gives off a bit of a fire ball. eek Be very friggin careful with these and fire. I do them with my kevlar bracers on but it totally depends on the type of wick and wicking you have. Don't close your fingers around it though... (for those of you that know ice hockey rules, it's about that level of timing)... I think you'd definitely burn off skin with a mid-large sized wick and pure coleman fuel.

Thanks Dom. I think I found my first signature Ubermove... tap-back into an under the leg wrist wrap. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

1,148 posts

Posted:
Jay looks like the Tony Hawk of juggling, except angrier eek Lots of rage there ubblol

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
SO in poi I guess we need to define Tail Taps and Head Taps cos they produce quite different results

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
sigh** poi has so many names for so many moves and the only way to name them is to describe the motion and maybe give it an abreviation
now when u gyus talk about the alpha zee omega stuff or wtv i dont get why u would call it that but meh tongue if it makes u happy.
in addition to all this.. there is no way i will ever understand all the names u can have for moves. no1: cus i dont have any frineds that spin and no2: cus i dont ahvea visual + if u ahd to add all the variation.. sigh to much!!! spinning fire jsut like spinning glowstix creates a diff effect everyway u c it wether its live, on cam, or on film cus nothing can capture the beauty of wave of fire spinning around ones body and try to explain waht a BTB thread to needle and all that stuff to a newb and hell give up poi thinking its to complicated weavesmiley

it must be green

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

SO in poi I guess we need to define Tail Taps and Head Taps cos they produce quite different results

Well said. And actually I just realized that you can do head taps either with, or without releasing the finger strap. With socks I do a total release (so it's a bit of a weak throw) but with fire I keep my chains attached. Hrmm... Never realized that.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
How about renaming things according to exactly what is happening, such as calling a (what ever the currnet name for hitting the head back) a um.... I'm short for a name now. I dunno, head tap with (insert what you use here).

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
A name is just a name.

Keeping it real...i dont argee with someone dictating what everyone should call something, i believe u should be able to call something what ever u want. In saying that i also believe it is ok to have a set of names and definitions, but who would dictate/ i mean decied that? The only real fair way would be to have polls and everyone vote on it(every move), but to also have exceptions, cause its the exceptions that make life real.

And while on the subject, i wanna nominate Arashi to have 1 free shot @ naming somthing, cause he's been going on about it for months ubblol

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
all right then i nominate that every move be named according to it's appropriate variation on "slapping the wet fish. "
even is it has nothing to do with SWF, it shall thusly be called... SWF w/oslap, butterfly... or SLWw/oslap, TTN.
first time i read that i went eek eek eek ubblol then i realized you meant an actual move.
you people are SICKOS!!! ubbrollsmile

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Quote:

sigh** poi has so many names for so many moves and the only way to name them is to describe the motion and maybe give it an abreviation
now when u gyus talk about the alpha zee omega stuff or wtv i dont get why u would call it that but meh tongue if it makes u happy.
in addition to all this.. there is no way i will ever understand all the names u can have for moves. no1: cus i dont have any frineds that spin and no2: cus i dont ahvea visual + if u ahd to add all the variation.. sigh to much!!! spinning fire jsut like spinning glowstix creates a diff effect everyway u c it wether its live, on cam, or on film cus nothing can capture the beauty of wave of fire spinning around ones body and try to explain waht a BTB thread to needle and all that stuff to a newb and hell give up poi thinking its to complicated weavesmiley

1. As a moderator would have told you if I didn't, please try not to use "u, c, cuz" while posting. There's plenty of people on the boards that either have english as a second language, or simply don't like it. Thanks smile

2. As for your post, I had no one around me to explain all of the moves and show me how to do them, but I managed. As long as you understand (and can preferably perform) all of the moves on the Lessons section (At the top of your page right now under "Free Lessons"), you can pretty much understand most of the stuff crazy people like PoiX3, Nx, Coleman and Bluecat are talking about. There's always a few that are completely different than those shown on the lessons (hyperloops, airwraps, throws, taps), but even most of those are pretty self explanatory. Except for hyperloops. They're very hard to understand through text, but that is what the Video forum is for! There's an aweful lot of videos that explain many of the things described in crazy posts like these, as well as other places for advanced lessons such as www.spherculism.com.

Try to visualize the text as much as you can. Get a first person view in your mind of what you'll be doing to recreate the text. Take it one step at a time and think clearly, you'll understand eventually. And it never hurts to just get a pair of poi in your hands and "spin it out"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

all right then i nominate that every move be named according to it's appropriate variation on "slapping the wet fish. "
even is it has nothing to do with SWF, it shall thusly be called... SWF w/oslap, butterfly... or SLWw/oslap, TTN.

I agree. Having just mastered "slapping the wet fish isolation in the middle of a 5 beat weave, without slap". Yet another way to confuse newbies. I love it. I really gotta learn the "slapless wet fish slapping waistwrap" damnit.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Enough nonsense about naming moves, it's not like anybody actually agrees on the names anyway!

New thing to play with:

2 beat weave with total isolation
Like most technical moves it is absolutly pointless and looks just like lots of other moves where your hands move in unattractive patterns, but then some people like that....
The basic move with one hand is a 2 beat weave. When the poi is crossing over from right to left - right hand on right hand side and poi head right in front of your face. Isolate the poi head completely by bringing your hand up and round the poi, so that right hand moves to left hand side of your body whilst the poi head doesn't move at all. Then let poi regain momentum and move to left hand side. Repeat on way back to right hand side. Then do with both hands.

On a more useful and movement orientated note: total isolations in the wall plane whilst turning 180 degrees are lush. Keep the poi by your shoulder.
Wheel plane alternate direction total isolations also quite nice, but not really so visual.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yes.

use your chain like a whip. nice little fireballs.

bur MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR SPLIT RINGS EVERY TIME YOU PLAY if you do this.

when i was into this i changed them every second night. and still panicked gently....

smileR

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
alternatvly, you could spend another 40p and get quicklinks....

spank bad kitty!

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

1,148 posts

Posted:
saw someone do a burnoff w poi on NYE, was amazed..not for the faint hearted eh..This guy simply spun off lit, split time. Not as much flying fuel as I expected, most ended up on the ground, not in the air..This was with white gas tho, dunno if I'd recommend it with lamp oil..O, n split rings suck, not safe for what we do..
EDITED_BY: musashii (1079683682)

Ars Pyronomica

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I keep meaning to try it but apparently if you give them a good kick with the outside of your foot inparting loads of spin on them, it does a burnoff. Makes sense I spose *shrug*

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
you can roll tubecore wicks along a surface to get them to burnoff but i never done it & i dunno know the details\dangers

Dom, your 2 beat with full isolations is NOT ugly. You just have an incomplete perception of beauty that's missing the aesthetics of geek biggrin

"it's pretty because it's hard" ubblol

The lovely thing about (attempting wink) full isolations is the rythym and speed changes i need to do. Float up to them really slowly then suddenly whanging my arm round as fast as i can. Last night i realised that i'd been doing something close to them for a little while (in fwd flowers), while trying to do sudden speed changes during each petal.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

1,148 posts

Posted:
turning flowers are the entry gate to isolations, no doubts there

Ars Pyronomica

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
i stole my burnoff.

eek

i mean i learnt my burnoff from mister NX?

poi...

arms straight out.

spin round.

slowly bend your knees whilst turning.

let poi gently hcome in to contact with ground.

keep spinning.

this spins the wicks round spraying parafin upwards causing a fire trail in the sky.

the grass catches fire too causing you to end up in a circle of burning grass.

It looks lovely.

biggrin

oh yeh..and ball chain with tube wicks are the best for this.

and in general wink

Page: