PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
Although one of the fundamental moves I could not really find much about it, so heres a thread to talk about the Reel and its variations. Though I am not sure bout the name (I read it somewhere on HOP) I think reel is quite appropriate.

Definition, Basic Reel: Both Poi going same direction, same time, on the same side of the body in the wall plane.

Variations: BHH, BHB, horizontal, isolated . . . etc...

It could be seen as a Butterfly with both Poi going the same direction or a chasing the sun with both Poi kept in front. It is important that the planes are a little bit open (looks like a flat X from top). So start with both hands further apart and bring them closer together the more you get confident.

Hope that helps, feel free to discuss . . .

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Actually, "Reel" moves are opposite direction, butterfly type moves. More like separated butterflies, alternating high or low. Low and high.
Check the Jillings links in the club/torch swinging thread in the "Other Toys' section for more info.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I don't understand. You say like chasing the sun but kept on one side of the body but most people don't keep poi anywhere for too long. Would you consider chasing the sun to be a form of reel?

Do you mean parallel moves?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Jafar,
Yes, according to Michal's book it's a variation of a parallel move.
On here they are listed as parallel moves and chase the sun variations.

You can *always* tell someone who uses Michal's book because she used several names very different from most of the rest of the world. Unfortunately this has caused *alot* of confusion.

I have also heard of Reels as split time butterfly variations seperate from Michals book as well. FOr example, low waves, high waves, mexicans...I have heard of these referred to by these names and being categorized as a member of the "reel family".

So in the end, you are both right.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
In terms of variations most of the normal stuff can be done in parallel.
Waist wraps.
Waistwraps type stuff with one hand behind shoulder.
Both over either shoulder.
One hand between legs at a time. One straight after the other. Can also be done while turning btl...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
Arghh - cant we have anything like a HOP dictionary of terms

@ Jafar: The problem with keeping them not on one side is discussed here; I am sorry its a bit theoretical and I used to call them parallel weaves . And Chasing the sun would basically be a "Reel" figure 8.
I really want to point out the difference between "Reels" and parallel figure 8 (weave) moves. Try keeping your parallel waistwrap a little bit longer on one side and you will know what I mean (Its quite difficult compared to the normal parallel waistwrap)

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Arrrrr, it's all in a name is it frosty? Now, I think Michal has produced a very fine book, and it has helped me polish my poi swinging immensly, but I do feel that she has taken liberties with the term "reel".

Reels are club moves, and by definition are alternating moves, usually done as a combination of opposite direction moves, like the Mexican wave. Michal describes these as "opposite reels" (page 62 onwards). These combinations are also described as the popular reel (Jillings) and reel, short reel and long reel (Schatz, 1908). Both Jillings and Schatz are cited as resources in Michal's book.

No problems so far, however, I do think Michal incorrectly uses the term "reel" when she substitutes the term "reel" for "circle" in the rest of her book. For example, Michal describes hip and shoulder reels, when most people would just say hip and shoulder circles. Hip and shoulder circles are not reels, there is no reel movement, just plain old hip and shoulder circles. I hope that makes sense.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i'm with the clubswinging man on this one.

my understanding of 'reel' is wall plane, one circle on left, one on the right alternating front and back circles (when left is in front right is behind and they swap with each beat).

there are a huge amount of variants of this.
eg. mexican wave is an opposite direction shoulder reel;
butterfly waistwrap (as i do them) is a hip reel variant too.

gandini clubswinging video has lots of nice basic reel combinations.

each to his own though - i know dom calls reels 'that one'.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
agrees with what stone, cole, jillings, Kati (gandini), steve, nigel and the bible of schatz said

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
that one is a nice move, definitly better than this one. However the other one is my favourite.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I've always liked the fact that club swinging has been well documented for many years. I think we should stick to as many club swinging terms as possible.

Though I will say that I completely disagree with Glass.

Simply because I think it makes me sound cooler.

I'm all for establishing a HoP poi move dictionary btw.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
Ok, agree on the club swingin thing too.

But what do they say about the move I described above ?!? Just calling them circles would be a little bit too easy

Lets have a HOP Poll on the name - HURRAY !!!

(Does disagreeing with NYC make ME sound cooler ? )

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hmm would a searchable web database suppporting user comments help? i can put one up in a lil while if it helps resolve differences in naming schema. it could be of real benefit.

just a thort.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
quote:
a searchable web database suppporting user comments
Thats HOP, isnt it ?

Anybody having a suggestion for a name (Mr. Dom is quite good in naming - Wheelchair is )

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Good ideas everyone. Bender’s suggestion of a searchable database of synonyms would be an excellent resource. I’ll help out if I can.

But back to PoiBox’s original questions:
quote:
But what do they say about the move I described above ?!? Just calling them circles would be a little bit too easy. (ie Definition, Basic Reel: Both Poi going same direction, same time, on the same side of the body in the wall plane. Variations: BHH, BHB, horizontal, isolated etc).
I’m with Jafar, and think we are talking about “parallel moves”. Like Pele said, “at HOP they are listed as parallel moves and chase the sun variations.”

quote:
And I really want to point out the difference between "Reels" and parallel figure 8 (weave) moves.
PoiBox this is my personal opinion, but I just consider them “parallel moves” until we start to “follow” (2-beat moves like the windmill or waistwrap). Then when we start to incorporate the over-under we start to get into the “weave moves”.

If anyone is interested in Club Swinging then they can download Anna Jillings Modern Club Swinging and Pole Spinning book from the Club Swinging link at the Cosmos Jugglers site or look at the demo
Gandini DVD for club swinging.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
it is not inconcievable that a many different naming scema could work -and work well- in naming and classifying all flameytwirly movements.

that's another reason why a simple moves database could help - each move's description could be noted differently and still be searched by many different criteria - eg
-a search for staff moves where plane is horizontal and is not a contact move
-a search for all poi throws added in last 3 months
-a search for carmen sandiego

where IS she, dangit!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always