Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Technical Spinning broke my 3 minutes. (A babble.)

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
The more independant technical stuff that I learn, the worse my three minute burns are. It seems that I can't cram all the new crap fluidly into a 3 minute burn set. Back when I was just doing the weave fast, I felt like I flowed and danced a bit for three minutes...

I think I'm just at a plateau where I know moves but don't 'own' them yet. I can't even do BTB moves or thru wraps with the same length chains that I can do raver wraps (and shortening chain JUST DOESN"T work for me yet.)

I'm not whining, because I know this is a phase that I'll push through. I do feel a bit of a mental barrier not being able to think of the new moves and transitions fast enough when the poi are actually on fire.

I feel like I've got my "A Game" which I use when I want to impress non fire people (do the weave fast and lots of wraps) and then my "B Game" which is moves that I actually need to think about and can't dance with yet...

This has become relevant as I'll be spinning at a party tonight and despite all my best work, I think I'll look best if I just keep it simple. Which makes me a bit sad.

Just doin' the weave fast again.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Sounds like you need to break out the sock poi while you work on ya B Game.

Safe in the knowledge that a fast weave can still stun and amaze, while throwing in something that looks difficult takes away peoples idea of 'Oh look, bet I can do that!'

Enjoy the party!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I know where youre coming from NYC as I have a similar problem. My biggest problem comes with fire. I can do hyperloops and waiste wraps all day with my sock poi but once I light up, I forget how to poi. I end up standing there doing the weave for 5 mins trying to think of what I can do (see my first poi video).

I also cant dance with a lot of my tech moves. Hyperloops and BTB type stuff just arent 100% like Im used to. So for now, I dance and perform with the stuff Im good at and try to vary it as much as possible while still doing the tech stuff in practice trying to get them to be as reliable as I can.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
It's weird you put this topic up now, as I was just thinking about this last night. I spun fire about 5 times and filmed it every time, and although it looked good, I felt that ever since I learned a bunch of wraps and finally learned a 3 beat weave airwrap, my spinning isn't very fluid, my routine isn't a routine, and I'm cramming stuff in rather than having fun, dancing, and spinning like I should be.

Just know that you're not alone.

AustinBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
I used to be like this and to some extent still am. If I haven't spun fire fore ages i do forget a lot of moves. Fluidity just came with time, I find it more of a personal expression that you learn on your self. This is how I picked up most of my transitions just by playing about or by thinking "how can I get from this to this." Sometimes even i'll be doing things in the day and i'll think of a newbie!

All the best, happy spinning

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
practice practice practice

you been doing your other stuff forever, you just learnt the nes stuff, repeatablity comes qicker than fluidity.

My trouble with all things is that as soon as i do it in front of peaple *all* my tricks leave my head entirly.

practice nice transitions and breaking up stuff.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Word, gotta practice. But I gotta practice actually trying to incorporate stuff in to my normal routine, not just on it's own I'm finding.

Oh, and tonight I stuck to my A game and had two damn good spins. And for the first time, actual hot chicks came up to me afterwords and chatted because of the firespinning. I usually don't get that after spinning...

So I think the plan is "A Game" when hot chicks who don't spin fire are watching, "B Game" when practicing and in front of more educated crowds.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
[Nx?] > My trouble with all things is that as soon as i do it in front of peaple *all* my tricks leave my head entirly.

Yes, i find that too - does anyone know why that always happens ? ..and after the performance they then stream straight back into the head so you can keep kicking yourself as to why you didn't think of them a minute before that ???

Mike

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by frostypaw:
you do a fixed routine?

my thoughts exactly... my 'b game' as it were is definately like NYC's but... that's kinda how the learning process works... and although I may forget things when I'm in front of people, but I feel that helps.. because the moves should come instinctually... not routinely...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh wait... you're talking to ME. No... I didn't mean 'normal routine' as in I have a set routine, I meant it as in 'bag of tricks that I normally delve into for most of my moves that I feel comfortable with'.

IF I"M PERFORMING FOR OTHERS, I do try to think of generally what I'm going to do before I actually light up.

If it's for non-firespinners I'm better off showing my "A game" which, for me, is weaves, butterflies, and wraps... usually in that order. It's not a routine by any means, but I think it gives the best show for what I can do.

I'll honestly never be able to 'just flow' and give something that I'm happy with. I'll flow when I'm practicing and get lost in a zone, but I don't think it's my best stuff. Usually, I get stuck doing stuff that I enjoy doing, rather than stuff that looks cool.

I'm not, nor will ever be, an instinctive spinner or an instinctive learner. Which is extra funny when I'm hanging out with instinctive spinners...

Oh crap... A New Simpsons is on... (Runs off to watch TV)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
Oh wait... you're talking to ME.
Not I... I was referring to frostpaw as per the quote...

quote:
I'm not, nor will ever be, an instinctive spinner or an instinctive learner. Which is extra funny when I'm hanging out with instinctive spinners...

Instincts aren't something you really 'learn'.. its more about building the muscle memory of the different moves, so that you can do them with out thinking about it... kinda like your weaves, butterflies and wraps..

but then agian I know people that twirl the same stuff in the same order... and if it works it works I guess.. I can't take practicing the same things over and over, much less practicing all my moves in the same order...

goes back to working on his b game..

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
on my C-game at the moment.

thats the one where i have to come up with humerous anecdotes to try and explain why every time they look at me i am standing looking puzzled at a tangled pair of poi...

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
people just don't understand that cool moves happen.. when they don't look... so they need to find a way to notlook like they are looking...

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
quote:
I'll honestly never be able to 'just flow' and give something that I'm happy with.....

I KNOW, I GOTTA BELIEVE ....

just follow ma rap:

Kick! Punch! It’s all in the mind
If you wanna test me, I’m sure you’ll find
The things I’ll teach ya is sure to beat ya
But nevertheless you’ll get a lesson from teacher

Kick – Punch – Chop - Block

Don’t get cocky, it’s gonna get rocky
We gonna move down to the next ya jockey now

Jump – Pose – Duck - And turn

Hm, yeah I see you’re gettin’ better
Kick to the limit in order to get her now

Duck and jump – Turn and pose – Duck and turn – Jump and punch

Come on now, why don’tcha follow my words
Because we’re almost done, I’ll make it easy at first
I wanna see if you wanna see what it takes
To be the man with the master plan
Are you the man now?

Kick, punch, block
Chop, kick, block
Block, turn, and kick it
Block, duck, punch
Duck, duck, turn
Jump, kick, chop
Punch, punch, punch

Hatatatacha! That’s it for today.
Good job, Parappa, you can go on to the next stage........

I gotta believe

[ 28. October 2003, 23:53: Message edited by: Glåss ]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Um... what?

I don't understand any of that.

I read it five times.

OK... now I've read it eight times. I don't even know what "block" means. Is that some kinda 'wax on, wax off' Mr. Miyugi sh!t?

Please explain the following terms:

1) "it’s gonna get rock"

2) "We gonna move down to the next ya jockey now"

3) "Kick to the limit"

4) "in order to get her now"

5) "Kick, punch, block
Chop, kick, block
Block, turn, and kick it
Block, duck, punch
Duck, duck, turn
Jump, kick, chop
Punch, punch, punch"

6) "Hatatatacha!"

7) "Parappa"

8) "I gotta believe"

Perhaps then I will understand wtf you are trying to say.

Also, spend the extra 5 quid for the good crack. Because the ghetto stuff you're smoking now isn't working out...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
LMMFAO

OMG

ok... hey man... check out this really wonky game for ps called parappa the rappa..

lmao...

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link
Master Chop Chop The kung Fu Onion says Good job, Parappa, you can go on to the next stage........

1) rocky
2) ??? we're gonna dance to the music
3) KUNG FU
4) a ref to parappas mission: To learn to fight KUNg fUUUU so that he can get jiggy with sunny funny, the girl of his dreams,
she has a sunflower for a head
5) kung fOOOOO
6) secret KUNG FOOOO secret
7 & 8) its the gospel:

Non-Https Image Link
I GOTTA BELIEVE !

[ 28. October 2003, 23:59: Message edited by: Glåss ]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Glass broke his sanity again! I told him not to juggle with it.

You can never fit everything into 3 minutes. Best not to try and just have fun and dance. Leave all that nerdy wotsits to the sidelines. As I have yet to see it done well in a dance I think it has its place in a spin, but shouldn't be the emphasis of a spin.

endevor100member
7 posts

Posted:
i agree with mark, bust out the sock poi, or double up on old glowsticks (my preferance) and work on ur moves, usually a good techno cd at loud volume will help with the dancing too

The stupider they think you are the more surprised they'll be when you kill them

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Døm:
Leave all that nerdy wotsits to the sidelines. As I have yet to see it done well in a dance I think it has its place in a spin, but shouldn't be the emphasis of a spin.

(altho to tell the truth i do leave most of my nerd-dom at home when performing....)

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
sorry, just saying it like it is

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Døm:
Glass broke his sanity again! I told him not to juggle with it.

You can never fit everything into 3 minutes. Best not to try and just have fun and dance. Leave all that nerdy wotsits to the sidelines. As I have yet to see it done well in a dance I think it has its place in a spin, but shouldn't be the emphasis of a spin.

*applauds Dom*

Though I do understand NYC. I have hit that plateau several times over the years, in all forms of performing, and it is a sucky place to be. You're out there thinking all the while..."I can do better, no really, I can...I just can't show you" but in the end, they don't know that. Have fun doing the weave really fast and fountains and buzzsaws and all the fun variations you know, and just keep working on the new stuff.

Truthfully though, rarely does btb stuff flow into a standard set in my eyes, but that is my opinion. People like Jo and the UK-ers (the ones I have noticed the most) can sure as hell get in and out like butter, but the move itself always looks awkward (from what I am told), so don't fret it.
I have a show on Friday. I just figured out three new moves yesterday and know they will not be ready by then which is soooooo sucky. One of the moves is a variation that I know will take awhile to smoothe out and get 100% before I can ever show it (mainly because if I mess it up, venues will burn), and that is an even bigger bummer. But, know what? I am going to have a blast anyway dressed as a she-demon with my little flaming balls around me! And I know that the audience, including the people who have seen me do it dozens of times, will be just as happy as they always are.
Have that faith in yourself too.
Anyway..summing it up...I understand and

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
to get in and out of BTB, use the one beat transition.. its easiest from the front wall plane but can be done from a side plane as well... just do a seperation bringing one hand on either side of your body to the back.. the trick to it involves not pausing for the seperation.. so that it seperates out on one side and comes back together on the first beat on the other side..

its like the movement from a butterfly to BTB butterfly..

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i know dom
(meant that to mean i know what you mean)

funnily enough i've hardly done any fire at all recently so my fire performances have become even more back-to-basics(to borrow a tory phrase ).... and loads of fun so ok...hehehe

R

but i disagree on the btb transitions not smooth concept there anre scores of people in this country putting that in plays smoothly and sexily(just a bit of thread transplant )

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I actually have the opposite problem, as a self confessed trick feind i spend ages doing technical, to the point it gets booring.

one day i was busking and only realised id been doing nothing but isolations for 20mins because a girl who had been there the whole time walked up and said 'Oh! Theyre poi! I thought they were sticks."

thease days (well, when its warm enough ) I work more on flowing and getting *all* my stuff to come toghter in a more movement orientated style. this dose of course have the advantage ov being able to put the tech stuff in straight away!

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti