Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > contactywrappinggrabbystuff

Login/Join to Participate

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Ok this is going to be hard to describe.
After seeing Shok's 'tekno turtles' and some other fellow hop'ers i have really got into 'avoiding' the flow technique.

I used to pride myself on flowing into different tricks and keeping a tidy rythmn. (hoping i'm making sense so far) So a poi session to me was one long continuous spin.

Now i have seen the virtues and interest in stalls and isolations and all those moves/tricks/techniques that just 'puzzle' the eye for a second. Such as the glowsticking on tekno turtles (neck wrap things and such)
I have been toying around with isolated weaves with the odd separation and some vertical stalls and kicks but i was wondering if anyone could suggest anything along those lines. Things that aren't completely conventional.

So come on you poi buffs lets see what you are made of?!?

And as usual many thanks in advance

Tennis

P.S Everyone download the tekno turtles video for a most amazing different flavour.

My cat's breath smells like catfood

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Im a fan of odd beats and size changes. I like to have one poi doing a normal beat while the other is doing a large beat. Or have one poi do 2 beats while the other does 1.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
what is a large beat?

endevor100member
7 posts

Posted:
hyperloops if you can make them look good (always a chalange) make good, not so conventional teansitions, its not exaticly a stall or and isolation but its deff different, especially if u have shiny chains for poi of glow in the dark string with glowsticks

The stupider they think you are the more surprised they'll be when you kill them

soldaribusy-tofu!
133 posts

Posted:
a large beat I'm assuming is long-arm stuff. Imagine doing a giant butterfly with one hand and a normal butterfly with the other.

very fun stuff. I'm working on gillies right now, and pendulums too, they're a great way too steer away from your traditional circles.

there is no better way to say I love you than with the gift of a spatula!

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
that's how I teach people the 4bt TTN... do a large circle with one hand little circle with the other.. and then switch..

30 seconds later.. they have a 4bt TTN...

lol..sorry for that randomness..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Ohh yea, breaking the mold. I really isolated air wraps, outside and also back into buzzsaw style'z. And presonally, i think bth air wraps "flaming halo" is where its @.

U need to ba able to do 5bt weave'z or 3bt corkscrew though. Give it a shot, its eaiser than most people think.

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
rev could you teach me the 4bt ttn in five minutes online?

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
You may be able to learn the principle behind it in 5 minutes but the timing of the move takes quite a bit more practice IMHO. Especially since the big circle'd only really make it easier on the forward 4 bt which I think is harder than the reverse.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I must slightly object to the conept that flow spinning is different than spinning with wraps and stalls in it. you have to make the wraps and stalls flow too.

I like dynamic length changes while spinning. While keeping one arm 'tight' and swinging the other to do a giant version of the same move is one way, I prefer constinously varying the number of shortening wraps I have around my hand. I have one set of poi where the chains are about 1.5 meters long, and while spining those, I can have anywhere from 0 to 4 shortening wraps on either. Learning to make the lengths of each flow between long and short both simultaneously and seperately while spinning is a bit of an art, but feels soooo good once you have it down to a reasonable degree (frankly I don't care if it looks good or not, I just like the sensation of doing it).

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I figured out something interesting with the length changing the other day that has helped me loads.

I used to think that it was a smooth way to make 'em shorter when doing reverse moves to wrap around my hand while doing a move.

What I'd been missing all along is that you can do the same while swinging forwards by bringing your hand to the other side (eg shorter in forwrad weave) of your body and visa versa (longer in a reverse weave) meaning that I can now change either hand, longer or shorter at and time. Very very sweet

This threads a bit random BTW

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
yeah, that pretty much the way I do most my shortening wraps. you can of course let out on the forehand side of the weave as well, or vice-versa if you are doing reverse weave. that means you can shorten and lengthen simultaneously.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by tennis:
rev could you teach me the 4bt ttn in five minutes online?
online I could use my shitty webcam and show you what it looks like from your perspective... that tends to help people more then a watching someone else do it..

but basically just do a regualr 2bt TTN.. exagerrate the movements a little so that you do a giant butterfly with your right hand, while your left does a small butterfly.. this should bring your right hand over the left and under it a little.. then take the left hand and do a giant while the right does a small bf.. this should bring the left hand from under the right, out and over...

ta da..

congradualtions.. now all you need to do is work on that smaemotion without making giants.. and you got it.. easy as pie... a couple of tries at it and you can move on to the reverse... and then BF weaves..

oh and jafar... everyone I've taught has caught on rather wuickly... not all got it in 5, but most did... which pisses me off because it took me forever...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
on a length chaging note, you can chage them going forards another way too, by wraping them over the thumb tucking your index finger in as it come over and catching back into key-grip. but its horendosly complex and no-one ever does it.

also for unlengthing them (errm, making them longer shurly? ed.) try flicking them off the hand rope dart style for added woosh factor.

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

markeesparkmember
62 posts

Posted:
Ive been messing round with hand changes.that is changeing the left hand poi to the right hand and vise versa.its cool and there are heaps of ways you can do it.Its a smoothe transition from opp dir inwards to outwards and provinds many an optical illusion.there are also inbetween bits where the poi isnt in either hand,it can be held by your elbow,your armpit or even behind your knee for that real no hands look all without breaking the circles..

Markeespark Sparkeemark & me

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
Have u ever tried straight arm weave?
it's not the same as big circles cos you don't move your straight arm much an it feels quite like ttn but looks pretty cool... as you're weaving just straighten one arm out in front of you and slide the other up to it's armpit as you weave. It's dead easy too...
someone showed me this with butterfly weave the other day which looked awesome... all i gotta do now is work out how to butterfly waeve!!

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

poi toymember
9 posts

Posted:
I got sumthin that i do wen i use my socks. Do a double bicep wrap while spinning the poi in reverse, let go of the poi, let them slip round the forarms and then grab the ends and now your spinning in reverse again, or u can tweak it and come out in forwards. Its nuffin special but its kinda funky an makes ppl look twice.
Hope everyone has a gd day
Ahmet

[ 01. November 2003, 02:39: Message edited by: poi toy ]

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by markeespark:
Ive been messing round with hand changes.that is changeing the left hand poi to the right hand and vise versa.its cool and there are heaps of ways you can do it.Its a smoothe transition from opp dir inwards to outwards and provinds many an optical illusion.there are also inbetween bits where the poi isnt in either hand,it can be held by your elbow,your armpit or even behind your knee for that real no hands look all without breaking the circles..
ive seen someone do this in a butterfly, just swop poi from one hand to the other, and it looks so wrong because you go straight from forward to backward butterfly.... the person i saw doing it was doing it continously and it looked likethe poi were bouncing off invisible walls....
i havnt worked out how to do it smoothely yet though.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Exodus17member
12 posts

Posted:
for anyone who hasnt seen the video, check out www.acidreign.com - its all videos of glowsticking(freehand and poi/on strings)

most of the poi videos have the word "string" in them in one way or another...

the Trunkz stringing is one of my favorites

also, see the Glowsticking.com Ad (stringers addition) - its a Must see

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by oli:
ive seen someone do this in a butterfly, just swop poi from one hand to the other
hey oli...
just keep practising dude, cos it's a real easy move and does confuse people when they see it!! i think practice of single handed butterfly helps cos it gets you to bounce them nicely in time to give that 'off the walls' impression.
good luck!

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Butterfly swap releases, I'm not sure if this is the same as what you people above have been talking about, but here ya go anyway.
While doing the butterfly (either direction although I find forwards easier) you let go of the handles and let their momentum carry them onto the opposite hand (allowing you to change from forwards to reverse butterfly very quickly).
The most important thing to figure out is the timing, let go just before the poi reach the peak of their circle.
Pleasantly suprisingly easy to learn

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
thanks for all the ideas people keep them coming, i like the sound of Butterfly swap releases , if they are whayt i think, if not yay i've found something new......

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
One handed butterfly swap releases are also possible. If you can do the normal swap release and the one handed butterfly you should be able to pick this up very quickly.
Once again, as the poi are nearing the peak of the butterfly let go of the handles....and oh my! don't you just love that *twack* when the handles magically find themselves in your hands again .
The timing for this move is based on me using my tailed poi, whether or not you have to do it a little different with yours...I guess we'll just have to see

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...