Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > hey i need some help if anyones willing

Login/Join to Participate

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
heylo! i finally got the reverse behind the back weave down about a week ago, and so i'm doing real good with that, but i'm having serious trouble with trying to do the forward behind the back. anyone have any tips? *gulp* ... paaain

the kid lol

p.s. i apologize profusely if i ever sound like i have an attitude or whatever, i truly do not have that spirit of it when i post. sorry again

In order to achieve what most people cant, you must do what most people wont

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
s'aite, this boards different from alot of boards, you'll find most of us are extremely laid back, dedicated to the art, and try to keep this a pretty happy place. There's a search link above, I'd say do a search if you have a question, this bein such a specialized board we've most likely covered any common topic thrice ovah. That bein said, here's a couple to get ya started..

here

here

n here

keep us posted eh, I've taught a few kids around your age, n it was amazing how quickly they picked up moves, tho I'd like to say imma decent teacher too

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
sorry, i wasnt aware i had to search the *other* posts in order to find it.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Dude its pertty hard, i could do rev btb for 5 yrs before i learnt forward weave btb and that took 6 months. If you just try to turn around both ways while doing rev btb it should slowly come, turning btb is where its at.

Good luck and have lots of patience.

AustinBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
I'm in the same situation as you. Although I am slowly learning two ways:

1) When doing btb backwards weave turn 180 degrees so you'll end in forwards.

2) Learning with one poi at a time and the path they have to take.

I also have heard that if you move bring your shoulders forwards in what at first will seem uncomfortable and then over time you will be able to minimise the movement and improve.

All the best at it!!

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
i found having my feet one in front of the other as opposed to next to each other the best way to start cos it kind of narrow your body frame and shoulders a bit then there's more chance of the poi avoiding any contact with you.
also dip your shoulders as the poi are passing that side. Although it may look a bit rough at to start you can work on the look of the trick once you have the technique.
Where exactly are you suffering then maybe i/we could help further.

good luck

Tennis

My cat's breath smells like catfood

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
i cant *start* the trick. i cant figure out how to get into it, thats my problem right now.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, took me 2 years to get forward after backward, and another few months to go strait in after that, i recomend turning in from backwards weave, and i also recomend practicing the move with a stick first to get the feel of it

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I learnt forwards BTB way before backwards.

I posted some tips here:-

https://www.poiinthepark.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10

Of which the main one was moving the feet out of the way (tennis seems to be getting the same effect by having one foot in frontof the other).

I recently put in the work to get forward BTB and, in comparison, would say that forwards isn't more difficult than backwards.

They each have a different area that is tricky; for me, with forward it was getting my feet out of the way, with reverse i find they tend to scrape along my arms more.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i've been working on this one for a while and it's a pain in the butt. i can do it from side to side but can't keep it going for very long.. probably because i'm not movin my feet yet!
to get it started, try just crossing the poi behind your back, or doing the beats with one at a time and then putting it together when you can do it without hitting yourself...
i'm gonna try moving my feet more tomorrow cos i move my shoulders a lot with backwards btb... i'll let u know if i nail it!
good luck!

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

AalatheaGOLD Member
80 posts

Posted:
yeah, i totally agree with the try it one had method. the hardest thing for me was to figure out what hand placement made a circle on the other side of my body when passed behind my back rather than a hurt self.
so make suer you can do each hand separately then try putting them together. though i didn't try just turning into it from the reverse. if that works well it'd be better cause it would would cut out the step of learning to turn once you got both forwards and backwards.