poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
hello! i'm missy, i'm 13 years old and have been doing poi for a long time now. i am an advanced poi artist , and so just to get it squared away i can very easily do the behind the back weaves, and all the other moves listed, so please..PLEASE DONT KICK ME out cause of my age like all the other people, i can match your moves so please dont kick me. anyways getting to the point, i have these two moves that you've probably done but its not listed. one, i call the cinnamin crunch (dont ask thats just the name that came to mind when i did it) .

1. Start doing the forwards weave, and act as though your about to turn around to do the reverse, but keep your legs planted solid on the ground, so dont actually turn. using just your arms and if needed your torso, spin the strings to your left so that they'll go behind you , still doing the weave/chase motion. after making one spin behind you on the left, turn your strings back to the front and do what WOULD be sorta like a 4 beat windmill only without going above your head, and turn your arms to the right, letting the strings spin behind you again. repeat the process and with some good speed it looks like the strings spin around you in circular motion without ever stopping. very simple to do but very very cool looking!

and 2, what i call the stellar swirl (hehe) what you do is start doing a reverse 4 beat weave. extreme speed is needed, go as hard as you can. twist to the left into a cork screw, make ONE pass on TOP NOT GOING TO THE BOTTOM, and as your about to come down to complete the corkscrew twist to the left again and into another reverse weave. make ONE pass on the RIGHT SIDE ONLY on that reverse weave and IMMEDIATELY go into a windmill. make one pass behind you back in the windmill and twist it to the left by swinging your arms down very close to the ground and enter another reverse weave. this whole time your doing basically half of each move, with extreme speed and always turning. occasionally i throw in an extra top twist on the corkscrew and while doing that do a ballet kinda move by spinning your body then twisting really low back to the ground and into another half weave. it looks amazing and is loads of fun!!

as soon as i get a camera i'll tape it and show you, but it might take a while. either way those two are just some of my moves i basically made up because i havent seen them posted so anyways there ya go!

In order to achieve what most people cant, you must do what most people wont

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by the kid
PLEASE DONT KICK ME out cause of my age like all the other people, i can match your moves so please dont kick me.
the kids got spunk... I like that. Sure, she could tone it down a little, this being your first post and all... but I'll have a look see into these moves... the first sounds like a fountain... but the second... not so sure.

By the way, I have a feeling of taking this kid under my arm... talk to ya soon kid.

[ 23. October 2003, 16:54: Message edited by: arsn ]

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Id really like to see a video of these moves. Surprisingly enough I can visualize those pretty well. I wish I started with poi at your age. Id be so jedi by now

Have you downloaded any of the videos from the Videos forum? If not, I highly recommend it. They're highly inspiring.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I can see it now ... btb at 13 ... wraps at 13 and six months ... throws at 14 ... and jedi at 15 at the latest ... man, Royal... you and I got totally ripped off in this age thing... missy's going to be the youngest Jedi of Hop...

Edited to add Jedi link... in case the kid wanted to know what stage they could get to...

[ 23. October 2003, 17:23: Message edited by: arsn ]

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Fire_GrrBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
Weldone Kid, thats Gr8, how did you get into it is what i 1a know?! Keep up the good work!

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
besides the minor attitude which I can slightly understand sounds like you know quite a bit. I wish I had known about poi at your age.

Always Beautiful

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
lol,

one peice of advice kid, *anything* that can be done fast can be done slowly, the revers dosnt apply, but if you learn this slow youll find lots more stuff you can use it with, and more ways in and out. This 90degree plane changeing leads to some really weird stuff with reversing directions so keep at it.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
wicked man!

YOU'LL be a JEDI soon

hugs
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
yes, i realize it can be done slow. but if you ever tried it, you'd see that it looks better fast. certain tricks are like that.

In order to achieve what most people cant, you must do what most people wont

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
it's nice to be excellent,
but it's more excellent to be nice

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

the_sealmember
51 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by the kid:

1. Start doing the forwards weave, and act as though your about to turn around to do the reverse, but keep your legs planted solid on the ground, so dont actually turn. using just your arms and if needed your torso, spin the strings to your left so that they'll go behind you , still doing the weave/chase motion. after making one spin behind you on the left, turn your strings back to the front and do what WOULD be sorta like a 4 beat windmill only without going above your head, and turn your arms to the right, letting the strings spin behind you again. repeat the process and with some good speed it looks like the strings spin around you in circular motion without ever stopping. very simple to do but very very cool looking!

Okay it's early morning and I've had a couple of big days... I've read the description numerous times but still aren't sure if this is a move I already do, so tell me if I am wrong:

Feet planted. Weave to the left side of the body (getting your one pass behind you), transition to reverse weave in front of the body, reverse weave on right side of your body (getting your one pass behind you).

I think it's the same thing...

If tis the move, I also like to shorten my chains a little and do a low pass round my legs and then a high pass around the shoulders, looks the shizzie

By embodying a nolstalgia for the past in new materials we retard an acceptance of the present and by extension, the future, because the future is in the present
-Guerilla Television, 1971

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
i hear you Bender.

My cat's breath smells like catfood

mosesmember
30 posts

Posted:
could you please define a 'throw'?? and good luck to the young'n

..::Spiral Out:Keep Going::..

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
throw- when you -throw- your poi.... involves letting go with the hands and is usually followed by a catch...

catch- to grab a thrown poi...

there ya go... problem solved.. wink peace

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
First move is basically a fountain but you are doing it in a tweaked out wheel plane when you go behind your back on the left and right sides... I refer to it as a 4 point weave, as your hands hit 4 distinct points every time. When teaching poi I not only teach the concept of beats, but points as well, so I can more clearly define what I'm talking about... you can do a 4 point 3 beat weave, or a 4 point 5 beat weave, or a 2 point 7 beat weave... makes things quite simple.

The second move I don't really understand... it really doesn't sound like a move, more like a bunch of different moves grouped together (fountain and weave and corcscrew and what not) which is called "freestyling" or a "routine" ubblol

No need to be edgy about your age dear, if you feel the pressure of older people not taking your opinion seriously, why not just leave your age out of the equation? smile