Forums > Social Chat > Health Benefits of Poi'n

Login/Join to Participate

Code128member
69 posts

Posted:
Check it out, I was doing a little bit of research and the health benefits of Jumping Rope at a decent pace work out to something like this, 10 Mins of Rope work is equal to over 30 Mins of running. So I would think that if you were spinning at anything approaching a respectable pace and you were also moving your feet, (very important people) doing turns and spins, transitions and whatnot, I would think that its very close if not more work than simply jumping the rope. Perhaps there is not as much jumping every minute but there is definitely a lot more upper body work and arm movement. What do you guys think? When do you think well see this on ESPN2 and which of the fitness models will introduce it first. Code

------------------
A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.N

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I know I get worn out from spinning faster than I do playing soccer or ultimate. Also, my shoulder size has increased since I started a year ago to the point that I had to buy new dress shirts. But I use pretty big wicks and they are fairly heavy, so perhaps not everyone will have this problem.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

RolloTCBRONZE Member
11 posts

Posted:
Yes there would be benifits for spinning poi, even if you didnt move your feet that much. Poi is similar to club swinging and club swinging has been used to train olympic athletes. Staff would have similar benifits as well.The main benefits would be in the arms, chest and shoulder areas. If you move your feet some with transitions and stuff you could get into legs, abs (if you do the groundwork), and possibly the back end (like if you drop your staff and have to bend over to pick it up). Juggling (balls, clubs) has it's benefits too. Also mainly arm strenth. Whichever form you do (spinning, juggling, whatever) it also helps with eye-hand coordination, both gross and fine motor skills, and stress relief. All these benifits are a good thing.Rollo

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hey, Code,I feel many benefits, for sure. However... maybe all the kerdane / liquid parafine I inhale is not of the best effect though winkVanize, that shoulder thing you mention I did feel a change allthough it has not yet had any effect on my clothes...As for legs, I do dance a lot while spinning and therefore get rather low on my legs and get them moving (not enough IMO, but more than some spinners I have seen). But that is not the poi, rather my style that does it.Pure poi technique would probably influence the upper body more, and personal style will probably extend the benefit to the entire body sometimes.One thing though : I really have to think more about stretching before a long spin damnit !!!!!!Oh ! and Code, what is ESPN2 ??????Shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Cassandra, ESPN2 is a sports channel that yankees like to watch smileNomad

Code128member
69 posts

Posted:
Yankees? Just a quick question does anyone besides the French actually like the French? smileThe Shoulder thing is definitely right on the money I have totally neglected any time in the Gym for the past 8 Months or so, but since spinning I have redeveloped shoulder strength, I can feel the hard ropes of muscle/sinew going over the tops of the shoulders that were not there before I started spinning.Nomad, good luck at the Burning Man, should be complete madness.

------------------
A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.N

4,224 posts

Posted:
Truth is ... When not too buisy critisizing yankees, French are the very best at critisizing themselves... some crazy combination of arrogance and cynisism winkoh and yes, Nomad... all the best for the BM !!!!!!!!!!!!!shine onCassandra

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Hey, be careful who you are calling a Yankee - I watch ESPN2 sometimes and I'm a native Texan - nothing Yankee about me! winkI wanted to add that one huge health benifit of poi for me has resulted from the increased shoulder strength. I have what the doctor puts into layman's term as "loose ligaments and tendonds" in my shoulders. This means my shoulds dislocate easily. Building up the muscles in that region has significantly increased the amount of protection that joint gets now, as the muscle mass serves to keep my shoulders tight. This is fantastic, as it really sucks to have loose shoulder joints (unless you want to be Houdini or something). Nomad - I'll be at Burningman too. I will be camped at 8:15 Center Camp with the Heretic Hotel (in association with the BRC post office) from late Sunday to early the next Sunday. Stop by sometime. BTW, my birthday is the day of the burn! Don't expect to have a coherant conversation with me that day though.And about the French - I visited France for the first time last year. I thought I was going to hate it (especially Paris) after all those years of hearing people ragging on them. Well, I actually had a fabulous time despite not knowing mcu. I'm sure it helped that I was visiting a friend who lives there, but the Parisians weren't nearly as bad as they were built up to be in my mind. They are still cheese-eating-surrender-monkeys though wink

-v-

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
oops! "not knowing mcu" was supposed to be "not knowing much French" - sorry for not proof reading before posting!

-v-

4,224 posts

Posted:
Cheese eating ? piece of cake. We are actually FROGS and SNAILS eaters and that, my dear, is really weird for most people I think . Glad you still liked Paris though. Please come again winkAbout health benefits, one thing too is that when I spin a lot I smoke less. And the other thing that occured to me thus week end is that I have learned to breathe while dancing (but I allready had part of it through martial arts)know what I mean ? That changes a lot in my capacity to spin the night away...shine onCassandra

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Hell yeah we're cheese eaters (let's forget the part about surrender monkeys...). That's probably what I miss the most here: cheese sucks in America!! winkNomad

HaZZamember
23 posts

Posted:
Holland...Home of cheese... :-)well to stay in the topic of 'food' in France, check out what we have in holland:A Kroket. Maybe some people know it, its just a snack like a hamburger, but it looks like a cilinder (bit hard to explain). Guess whats in it... trashmeat from cow's n stuff (eyes, brain, and what more....blegh..) Its grose to think about it, but it tastes great :-)

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
ok, getting so far off topic that it is completely ridiculous - But you can get any kind of cheese you want to in the states. You just have to know where to look. We hide it here because the rest of the world is angry enough at us as it is without 300 million Americans eating all their cheese supply as well. So we voluntarily consume the lesser cheese-like products on a regular basis in the interests of sound foriegn policy. So then a kroket is essentially a hot dog/beef frank?And I drink less liquor and more water when I spin. That's a health benifit too (phew! finally got back on topic - almost!).[This message has been edited by vanize (edited 21 August 2001).]

-v-

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
OK, since this is turning into a culinary discussion, let me say this (as a French expatriate living in the US). It is possible to find good cheese in the US, yes. But: IT IS SO FUCKIN' EXPENSIVE!!!!! I mean, a piece of goat cheese that costs $2 in Paris (not the cheapest cost of living in France...) goes for $4-5 here. Camembert (the stinkiest of all cheeses) costs $2.50 in Paris and goes for $5-6 here. It's ridiculous! And painful for a cheese lover like myself.Nomad

4,224 posts

Posted:
Nomad, come home. Me and the goats are waiting for you winkEeeer, how can I relate this cheese issue to the original health benefit one ? Cheese is healthy, poi is healthy... poi is cheese...call the men in white...Cassandra

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Ok, Let's see where we can go with this one. #1. Ok people can we say Wisconsin? #2. I guess you could tie one of those fist sized red wax wrapped Gouda cheeses to a string and spin one of them.#3. https://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/jumpsite/calculat.htmI
guess you could come up with a fitness plan if you worked with Poi with one-pound weight (American standard weight being used here) for say an hour. Then you would have to calculate your heart rate.... Naw screw that keep it fun. IMHO (in my honest opinion) the best exercise is one that you don't mind doing. smileI will agree on the stretching thing though. Us "older" twirlers need to warm up sometimes. I don't know if it's just me or not, but I have noticed that if I'm learning a new move I have located muscles that I don't normally use. smile------------------Blessings to all, Peter "There is a rhythm that unites us with the natural world. The more we learnto feel that rhythm and get it into the mainstream of our lives, thestronger can be our spirit."--- Robert Rodale

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning poi for about a month (a little longer I think), and my roommate pointed out yesterday that my upper body has toned up quite a bit.

While I am a fairly quite active person (200+ mi/wk on bike), I know that the toning is from the poi as my upper body has, up until now, gotten nowhere near the same amount of use as my lower body.

As for stretching, everyone should stretch every part of their body, twice per day. I'm just now getting back into this habit. I stretch in the mornings and before going to bed.

A word on stretching: NEVER cold stretch. Always do some sort of light activity (ie. walk for 5-10 min) before stretching as this warms the muscles, increases blood flow, and optimizes your stretch.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Wow, that was a Godzilla size bump.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Godzilla FTW

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Thread necromancy at its finest. Rise from your grave!

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Wow, these people where mean to one another! I found the part about cheese enough to think we should let this thread die again.

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
NEVER let cheese die for it is god!!!!

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus