CirRusBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
I just seen a guy spinning a pair of kick ass rope poi(snakes) and now I am so hooked. I want a pair of my own now . Anyone out there have a pair of their own or make their own? If so where'd u get em from or how'd you make em? Im a pretty hands on guy so if you can tell me how to make a pair i'd reallly appreciate it Thanksss!

A cute girl after I finished spinning fire at this party :
"OMG ur soo hot!" biggrin

I love being a fire spinner

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
I make rope poi but not snakes my ropes do not catch on fire we made them for doing xtreme wraps
without getting burnt up by the hot metals.I think bearclaws.com makes the ones he named snakes where the rope burns along with the head
there have been a couple of posts on them do a search I am sure you wil find the needed info

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

werner of infiremember
40 posts

Posted:
our group has been using snakes for many year now. we make this instruments by our own. we use flexible tubes of ceramic-material that we put over chains. this ceramic material is "normaly" used for sealing of furnance. to see the effect take a look at the fotos on our homepage.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
the kevlar rope sold off of this site https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/browse.asp?cat=1000&path=1000
comes in usefull. Tie it to some chain with a metal ring (Wal-Mart Dog chain works good) and add some leather loops for handles and you have some nice fire ropes. I like to double-up the rope, to get the proper flame size.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i made a set on the weekend and have included detailed instructions plus pictures here:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001209

mine arn't true snakes because the wick only goes half way, but that's just a matter of preference, the basic design can be easily modified

CirRusBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
flid thats an interesting way of making them. I was thinking that what if i bought say 4 ft of the 1 inch thick kevlar rope from HoP rather then the thin rope. I would cut the kevlar in 2 so i'd have 2 ft each of rope. Then I would drill a hole on one end of each rope and put a metal ring in there to keep the hole open. I'm thinking that if i cut maybe a foot or less of the rope up the rope spliting the rope up the middle i could just tie a knot either a granny or a monkey fist. Then just follow what flid did when he added the ball chain and handles. Sound like a good idea or does it need revision

A cute girl after I finished spinning fire at this party :
"OMG ur soo hot!" biggrin

I love being a fire spinner

soldaribusy-tofu!
133 posts

Posted:
My personal favorite are the 'black-birdies' -titled by bender, posted by Blackbird- way back on this thread. There's an illustrated link to how they are woven, really very cool!
They have a nice weight to them and burn gorgeously !

there is no better way to say I love you than with the gift of a spatula!

FireMeccaBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
CirRus,

After a lot of testing with the various ropes we have, we have come to appreciate "fire-braids" over "fire-snakes" and the like. That is, take a couple of sections of rope, bend them in half through a steel ring, and do a 4-braid all the way down, to be tied off or terminated in some fashion at the end of the braid. the ring is attached to chain, then handle, etc.

The result is a consistent flame, without one portion burning out before the other (in the case of a rope with a knot at the end). If you can manage to terminate the end in a reverse braid or with kevlar cord, then you have a fairly metal-free design for the part that is burning.

If you do have a portion of your "snakes" that is a single rope that leads to poi or a knot, then I personally suggest your rope diameter to be greater than 1/2". We use 1/2" for our braids, and it works well, but feedback we have received suggests bulking up the rope in a fire-snake design. We are thinking of going to 5/8" or 3/4" for our fire-braids; really depends on whether you think bigger is better. To which the answer should be "yes."

MJ
Flamma Aeterna

That which does not kill me, only makes me stranger.