musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Think I finally cracked the forward and reverse variations of this(4 petal), but wanted to start a thred on the subject because I don't see one anywhere. The forward version that I do is from a forward weave, side petals first, arms + poi rotating forwards, then top/bottoms petals. The reverse is from a reverse weave, side first then top/bottom, arms + poi moving backwards. Another variation is from the forward weave, arms moving backwards + poi forwards. You can also move from the forwards to reverse easily, turning 180 degrees, or vice versa(reverse to forwards). I heard coleman mention a six petal version, which sounds like an extra rotation added in halfway from side to top? Just wondering if anyone has any variations, explanations, etc..

Here's one variation, and I think I've seen it done on some video around here. When you are completing the top/bottom petals, throw in a randy badger to reverse direction(wrapping chains close to the poi head), and complete the meenik flower in reverse(or at least reverse by the way I'm describing it here, so top/bottom first, then side/side)..

Hope this makes sense

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Um.... it doesn't.

If this is to be thread for flowers, can someone please post links to some videos here? Because I can't visualize what you're describing at all.

E pluribus unum, baby.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
hey Musashii hunny! Long time no see - should have guessed you'd be geeking about in poi moves

may your flowers be many petaled..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

1,148 posts

Posted:
Sorry, sounds like I'm assuming everyone has seen them
Here , from Meenik(I'm guessing?), He's calling it Nick with fire 2.

Meeniks flowers best illustrated close to the end, where the video has the trail effects. The move is from a weave where you pull your arms apart, and the poi cross in the middle(usually on either side of your body), giving the appearance of flower petals. beautiful move

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

1,148 posts

Posted:
Stixxie!! you nevah onna im anymore, not to mention my sleep schedule has been totally f@@ked lately. Hope everything is goin well

Ars Pyronomica

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Butterfly variations....arms moving same direction as poi, arms moving in oppostite direction to poi. Arms same direction as each other and opposite direction to each other. Butterfly forard and rvs.

There's loooadds of variations me thinks, still trying to get my head around them all.

quote:
The forward version that I do is from a forward weave, side petals first, arms + poi rotating forwards, then top/bottoms petals
This is nice to do on both sides straight after each other say LHS (sides, top-bottom) then RHS (sides, top-bottom). Tis simaler to the turning round thing you described.

Also horizontal's nice for fast spins...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

1,148 posts

Posted:
yep, the butterfly variations are nice..sweet way to transition from the butterfly to the weave too..haven't tried horizontal yet, can you give me an explanation? Like are these over the head or underneath the arms??

Ars Pyronomica

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I was intentionally vague on that cause I've only played with 'em once. I was trying to figure out a way to piroette quickly similar to what they're talking about here . But staying grounded.

I realised that by turning in circles it was the same effect as swinging straight arms vertically an hence all the same moves horizontally.

If you stand arms outstreched straight and keep 'em there, get the smaller circles spinning same direction (for example) and that's effectively a seperated corkscrew, same as weave (they spin above or below your outstretched arms).

You have all the same variations as vertical except you can piroette (sp?) and they mix as easily with horizontal moves....

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
still not quite getting meeniks flowers. i'll have to get you to show them to me again. then again i'm so overloaded with new stuff i'm trying to get i don't know when i'll have time to practice that too

Always Beautiful

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
so why aren't people describing these as seperations? There's been a lot of talk lately about flowers, flowers, flowers.. and unless I'm missing something these are nothing more then multi bt seperations.. I think it would be easier to descirbe them to peopel that way...

I will say that there is a bit more to it when making your arms go forward and your poi reverse...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
If you look toward the bottom of page 8 on the jedi thread you'll find why they're called flowers Rev...

as well as some ideas and descriptions Zyanya Bella

[ 10. October 2003, 06:17: Message edited by: Jafar ]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
The basic flower:

Going from forward weave... When the poi get to the right side, seperate them so they make two circles next to each other (left hand in front, right in the back). Then bring your left arm to your left side and low while keeping your right hand on the right side and bringing it high so it looks like one circle on top of the other. Now repeat but vice verce. When done correctly, youll get a 4 petal flower. It helps to turn your body a bit when you go to make the side by side circles. You can also do these while turning 360deg.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Izabilmember
12 posts

Posted:
I can't see that vid. My Media Player says the URL is down (something like that) ... And I really don't understand what a flower is.
Do you know any other links to vids? Post them, please...

shadow steppinofficial hop irken
401 posts

Posted:
if its any consolation the vid wont help you theres special effects there and all i can see from it is that its a beautiful move. that person has a really nice style

In my hands I hold your smile and in my heart it runs so wild You are the one you are unique I'm so in love you make me weak And the reason that I feel is like a shadow from a light so if you have the chance to be with me be my shadow in the night

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
that meenik video is pretty impressive.

but with the trailing effect its imposible to see what the guy's hands re doing.

when i do what i asume is a flower (i know what they say about assumption) i go from a windmill with not too long strings, and then separate my hands, one up and one down, and then i do a cross with arms spread wide.

by cross i mean, right hand up, and left one down. then rotate, right to the right, left to the left, and then finally left hand up and right hand down. does anyone get this?

but al this is in front of me, wall plane, meenik has the poi on both sides of the body. i am confused

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
jafar... I understand the 'flower design' but I'm talking about technically speaking people are going crazy like this is some crazy new thing... granted yes its new to somepeople.. but everyone I've ever seen spin the 5bt does seperations... never heard them called flowers until recently.. and honestly apart from the the reverse arms/foward moving poi, I don't see what makes them special and/or difficult..

yannicus.. a windmill is a weave.. a weave goes side to side.. and a windmill is a weave over head.. so anything done in fdront of you in a windmill can be done on either side of you in a weave...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Names do not matter.
Flowers are a sub family of seperations designed to look like fowers. Seperations are an incredibly large family, and there's lots of lovely ones.

Jafar/deepsoulsheep - This weekend I'm either driving to the west coast, or might be Dublin way. I have no idea what I'm doing yet as that'd involve planning. However want to send me a PM with your mobile number just in case?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
separations are lovely.
and flowers are indeed separations of a sort.

but they are the most hardcore variety i have seen (dare i say it 'jedi' ) and so beautiful that i thought nick's 'flowers' tag should stick (which it has ).

the way meenik spins them is with long arm circles at a constant speed with the poi rotating at the ends of the arms (compound circles).
getting this motion smooth whilst keeping the poi paths tight is a huge display of control.
timed so that not only do they pass each other at the centre of the large circle (ie. the midpoint between one hand and the other) but they do this at very specific times, giving what i see as a number of 'petals'.

if anyone has video of nick spinning same plane butterfly flowers you'll know they're a whole other ball game again.

so yes, flowers are just separations.
and a fountain is just a weave.
and hyperloops are just wraps...

Non-Https Image Link

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
I wish this computer wasn't so retarded....I've been trying with sock poi but the best i can get is a massive wonk on the head....

Always Beautiful

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ok, for all those who STILL dont know what flowers are:

Stretch your arms out, one above your head and one towards the ground. Now swing them forward split time (arms are making two large circles, one on each side of you). Now, imagine you have poi in your hands and each one of them does 4 beats for every 1 revolution your arm does. Thats a flower.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Thank you, royal! That I can totally visualize and understand...now whether or not I can do it is another question entirely.

AutumnLyfemember
44 posts

Posted:
I have seen this video a few times before I fell upon your post and he is amazing isn't he? I wish I could see more of what he is doing.
Always,
Autumn

There are no ordinary moments.