Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
I've been trying to jump with my poi but at the moment all I can get it a mildly retarded spinning hop.
My goal is to come out of a corkscrew into a spin and the jump up into the air kind of like a tornado effect. again..it looks..to say the least...like a bunny on crack....the only way I can get a good clean rotation is to bringmy arms in to my chest but that screws the poi all up.
I was thinking perhaps I should crouch before I jump?

Always Beautiful

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
There is some sort of martial arts move that looks very similar to what you are trying to do. It can be done without crouching as there is somewhere here capable of doing it, but I can't really describe what he does. Maybe looking through some martial arts websites? His looks almost ballet like, so definitely not clumsy.

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
Jumping with poi is not that easy.
Considering poi is base on a(or some sort of) hand that does not move a lot. Jumping is a quick change of height and the wick may not be able to compensate the sudden difference in height.
So, I would try to spinn faster, so the poi could addapt more easily to the height.

But, my story cann allso be plain bull.

70 posts

Posted:
perhaps if i start off holding my arms our to the side horizontally and beginto spin really fast and jump up bringing my arms above my head palms to the sky...maybe that wouldn't look retarded.

Always Beautiful

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hello guys!
if you want an acrobatic movement involving leaping with a horizontal spin, try kicks, as you will need mucho momentum from your legs to spin so.
butterfly kicks, tornado kicks and 'parafuso' kicks do look more impressive than a simple pirouette in the air.

just be careful and rememebr to absorb some of the impact by bending your knees as you land, or you may do some mischeif to your leg bones...

be silly but safe peeps

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

70 posts

Posted:
Bender...thanks for the advice...if i knew what the heck those kicks were i'd probably use them.

Always Beautiful

70 posts

Posted:
musashii suggested that perhaps i do it similar to a breakdancing spin....still look like a retarded bunny when I try.

Always Beautiful

Face_NLPLATINUM Member
addict
513 posts

Posted:
Heyhey,

Nice idea, your tornado! I'm going to try something like it myself soon. If something works out I'll let you now...
Anyhow, I know a video in which a guy jumps over his Poi in a supercool move! I've played the vid a couple of times, but it still isn't very clear how to do it myself... you can find the video here , at menu glowstringing/poi, and then James Poi. At a certain moment his strings got tangled, (on purpose???), and then he waves his glowsticks around as one and jumps over them one leg at a time... b-e-a-utifull...

Ow, and butterfly kicks etc... I try to learn em at breakdancing from a wushu-artist, but it's pretty tuff... And I would know if it's suitable for poi -> I've seen an other video with a staff guy doing a butterfly kick with 2 staffs, and the staffs almost stand still during the jump. With staffs you still have control then, but with poi blabediebla yadeyadeeya (words.... don....'t.... co co co co come.... out )

Have fun trying dear Drunken Bunny !

|| "Is True Mastery of the Elements But a Dream?" ||

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Ì can't see the vid but the descriptions sounds like something familiar. if you hold both poi in the same hand or tangle them or whatever. You can step over them one foot at a time as they pass underneath you quite easily. The knack is to turn your body in the same direction your poi are spinning and in doing do you give yourself an extra bit of time with the poi between your legs while you put the first foot down and get the next one over...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

6,978 posts

Posted:
the easiest manner in which i can move the poi in a butterfly kick is when it's in a horizontal corkscrew movement. thus plane of the poi and kick are compatible.
but experiment safely and remember that no-one can tell you that their method is necessarily 'better' - express yourself!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I find that Barrel rolls and longarm work really well together, but you have to be able to barral roll without looking like a girl, which i cant

t

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I was thinking about practicing a horizontal barrel road/leap to the side landing in a tuck and role, because It's the only mildy-impressive aerobatic thing I can do without poi and I have osteo arthritus in my bones so I best avoid anything high strain.

But the grass is wet all the time now and it's cold out and im to lazy.

Face_NLPLATINUM Member
addict
513 posts

Posted:
Ey Jafar,

Instead of just watching the video and trying to figure out what he was doing I followed your description one leg at a time... It's ridiculously easy, looks kinda cool and a nice solution for tangling! Me Happy

I'll try the butterfly kick without the poi first, then I'll see if I can do anything more with it (gonna take a while, I'm learning just too much new stuff these days...). (Btw Bender, Nice vid/style, it has something like wild african tribe kind of energy :-))

Ehmz, what is a barrel roll?

|| "Is True Mastery of the Elements But a Dream?" ||

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yea, what's a barrell roll?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

6,978 posts

Posted:
barrel jump is a sideways jump with the feet not too far apart and the body bent forward at the waist.
looks like a standing version of the capoeira move 'armada dupla'.

and thanks for the complimentz, talpeva. I'd blush but you're far too distant to see..

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
Try a horizontal butterfly above your head then bring the poi down to your feet, jump over them, and bring them back round. cheesy but it works, u need pretty long fire poi though.

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
yeah.. thesilvershadow's summed it up for the easiest one, you can do it both forwards and backwards and it can look pretty good for a one-off with fire. looks crap if you do it clumsily r mess it up tho!!

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett