Forums > Social Chat > Traveling with toys ....

Login/Join to Participate

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hello, beautiful people !I just came back from a fantastic vacation in Grece ... and of course I met there some greek spinners as well. As one of my friend told me yesterday : " I am pretty sure you'd manage to meet spinners on the moon" smileAnyway, I just wanted to share a stupid experience with you : the z%^$mpifxypt!ù^)723R£µ& company I took to fly to Grece lost my staff... frownI could not put it in my back pack so I had it in my hand, covered in plastic and all. they told me that they'd take it on the aircraft and hand it back to me in Athens (I was going via Milano). Anyway... they lost it. I was *slightly* FURIOUS, but what can I do ????have you had such problems ? What should I do next time I travel ?Shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

miggyzmember
1 post

Posted:
Take Poi!!!!!!! Or fly with a reputable airline who won't lose your property! Or drive to Greece, or go somewhere you don't need to fly to get to.....

MiggyzAnyone seen my wombat?

Backpacker2kmember
30 posts

Posted:
Airport troubles....Jesus!!!!...Quantas airways lost 2 staffs of mine and....get this......offered me a Toilet Bag!!??!! as compensation!!!....containing a barely twirlable toothbrush...slippy soap...old spice aftershave (ha ha ha....I ain't 60 for crying out loud)......and....a leg waxing kit!!!!!!!!funniest thing that ever happened to me.Bombay airport officials are the best...they grab your staff bag...take the staffs out and start playfighting with each other whilst you walk thru the x-ray machine with 2 kilos of coke in your pocket and a pound of semtex strapped to your body........Ahhh the memoriesDan

ABCDEFG...HIJKLMNOP...QRSTU and V..WXY and Zeeeee.Hey everybody look at me...now I know my ABC!

4,224 posts

Posted:
Hey Backpacker, You make me laugh smile Lucky you, all these presents you received from this wonderfull company... I got nothing but a "hum... must be somewhere, really"...I would have loved to receive the leg waxing kit wink and as for the twirling toothbrush ... that's an idea, really ... You could even do some double toothbrush twirling and , if you get good at it , dip it in leg wax and set it on fire ?I'd have given a lot to see this scene in the indian airport though !!!!! But then again, I'd give anything to just endlessly watch these surreal scenes all over the world...Miggyz, I do carry all my poi in my backpack (it actually was 1/3 of the containings of the bag ...) but the staff... mmmm.... frown and the driving ... well... I have no car ;(Shine oncassandra

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Sorry you lost your staff, Cassandra.I have not tried travelling with staff, but I know that most airlines would have several potential objections to a staff:1. Can't be carry-on luggage because it is too big.2. Can't be carry-on luggage because it could be used as a weapon.3. Can't be brought onto the airplane at all because of the presence of fuel, which might explode.With any wick (poi, staff, whatever) that has been soaked in fuel before, I'd recommend covering it in plastic and sealing it as tightly as possible. I've managed to carry my poi wicks as carry-on this way, but I've heard of other people's poi being confiscated.With a staff, I would ask at the check-in counter "can I take this on board?" and if they say No, check it right there (I only use carry-on and hate to check luggage, but I'd hate losing a staff more). HoP sells a collapsible staff that would be easier to take as carry-on, and I am thinking about other ways to make one myself.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

4,224 posts

Posted:
Adam,As a matter of fact my staff was the three piece staff from the HOP and they still would not let me take it on board. I used to travel quite a lot with my weapons for aikido (stick, sword and knife) and they of course always took it but gave it back to me. I guess the problem this time was that it was with transit flight (allthough I did travel a lot to Japan VIA Seoul with no problem whatsoever) so maybe Al Italia's hobby is just losing people's belongings...And this time I had not once thought that it might be considered by them as potentially dangerous since I had very well protected it in plastic etc...Anyway... I am just a bit sad and slightly bitter about that... frownShine oncassandra

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I had my staff confiscated by a policeman when I tried to go on the tube with it. He said it might explode. *sigh*

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Cassandra--This is interesting. Did they say *why* you could not bring it on board? The solution might just be in clever packing: if you have a collapsible staff, put it in some kind of a box so it doesn't look like anything special.The HoP collapsible staff reduces to 24"/60 cm long, which is approximately the length limit for airline carry-on pieces. If you had a carry-on bag that would fit the staff along with your other stuff, perhaps you'd be ok...?The other (less convenient) option would be to ship your equipment to your destination before you leave and ship it home. I know that this option isn't always practical, and with a solid staff, it would be expensive.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
that's unfortunate Cass.I know when I thought someone had walked away with my staff at a party I was frantic...friken airlines! I travelled with my staff to many destinations. I kept my staff in a snowboard bag and was never once questioned on it. So perhaps you can make some luggage for your toys in future - a big leather satchel or something.Unless it's infront of their faces, they don't take things like firetoys into consideration.good luck. I hope your next staff stays with you longer.flash

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

4,224 posts

Posted:
Thanks, lovely people !Flash, this snowboard bag, was it traveling with you or in the ... mmm... what is it called in english the thing for all luggage under the plane ?????Anyway, I don't have peanuts to buy anoither staff so I guess I'll practice with my Jo, the stick fom Aikido before I can get another one of these beautiful toys .....shine onCass

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
The snowbaord bag was in the cargo hold, along with everything else I owned at the time that was stuffed into an 85litre backpack...those were the days smileYou know what I'm gonna say now, don't you? Make your next staff. If you've got peanuts, that's all it will cost you. Now that you've seen how one is constructed you can create your own special toy that is unique and individual and perfectly suited to *you*.I make all my own toys and would rather them anyday over something mass manufactured. It's so much more personal.Admittedly, if you make a staff it's unlikely that you could make one of those fancy 3 piece ones unless you're a closet metal worker or something! But hey, a single piece fire staff is better than no staff at all...you can buy wick from this site.------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

4,224 posts

Posted:
Yes Flash, I did expect that one and I did expect it from you somehow. wink You are right about building the staff ... that is if I was a normal human being but I SUCK at building things with my hands....Mind you, I am not giving up, on the contrary, I love the challenge...SO I'll start looking up on the site for instructions and tips for building the toy, then translate it into French and then get started. Shine onCassandra

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Err, Flash Fire, is *anybody* mass-manufacturing firedancing equipment? I doubt it. The market's just not that big.I would agree that it is very satisfying to make your own equipment.

bulldozermember
38 posts

Posted:
Don't worry Cassandra. It's very easy (even I managed to do it!) to make your own staff if you follow the directions on th Incendium web site (https://www.incendium.org/staff.htm).You can skip step 5 though and just screw the screws directly through the kevlar.Good luck!------------------

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. --Mark Twain

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
awww thats so sad you guys lost your stuff... but im glad you brought it up on the list ' im going to australia in january or february from canada. which could prove very interesting.. i have fire poi, a collapable HoP staff beaming poi.. and many other toys of flame. and that was one of my larger concerns was getting it over the border.. or out of canada for that matter. *lol* never been flying with my toys before. i took them to the Calgary Stampede this summer though and the bastard security took my fuel can away!! they let my staff in though.. so i remedied the situation won some glow sticks from a carnie found a rather drunk girl and got her to give me hair ties and i wa set... plus its a great way to keep your friends from getting lost in the crowd... smile ------------------A Faeries Heart Beats Fierce and Free!!!!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.