Page:
shadow steppinofficial hop irken
401 posts

Posted:
ok i have searched and i cant determine if there is any difference between hyper loops and air wraps. it sounds like the same trick to me. is it?

In my hands I hold your smile and in my heart it runs so wild You are the one you are unique I'm so in love you make me weak And the reason that I feel is like a shadow from a light so if you have the chance to be with me be my shadow in the night

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
wellll... acording to sir cole, and i could be wrong cos its a while ago since he showed me...

starting on the right hand side, right hand vertically above left hand you tangle poi.

bring left hand up level with right hand (but seperated obviously) for the buzzsaw bit

take right hand below left on left side to exit

Arashi is probibly gonna come on to shoot me down now, its his baby.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
wishes he knew how to do all that fancy gun totin' smiley stuff are you kidding? i'm not the one with the sicko feminine products fetish. maxi plus is glass's baby. psst ... he told me that he actually practices poi moves with tampons in his bedroom during the day when all his friends are asleeep. shhhh...
anyways, as is evident from this thread, there's a few ways to get into a inverted aiwrap, and a few buzzsaw airwraps or hyperloops or whatever, so we could all say the same name and be different. but nix my baby is much taller than a hyperloop and i think she has dark hair and green eyes. but i could be wrong.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
my old thinking, quoting the jedi set (almost a whole year ago ): "the hyperloop maxi plus (Real name unknown, this temporary name is probably based on a press-on towel with wings), is a hyperloop with an airwrapped buzzsaw in the middle"

since i had arm position as my main way of telling the difference between the airwraps i could do, this to me suggested a hands at top and bottom (i thought 'hyperloop' implied this) open (since i couldn't enter and exit with arms crossed back then) tangle to an airwrapped buzzsaw (inverted airwrap) to an open exit (hands top and bottom) and untangle. glass span them like this for ages (with varying degrees of consistency )

my thinking now, quoting arashi just up there: "there's a few ways to get into a inverted aiwrap"

you can enter and exit from a variety of hand positions (top/bottom, side/side, closed or open [arms crossed or uncrossed]) which can change the timing and, i think but don't quote me, the number of tangled circles (i think by only half a circle per poi).

tenticle - with the version nix? described in his last post it is *really* tricky to keep your arms out of the way.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
er.

are you guys talking about a 'tangle buzzsaw'? which comes in with hands horizontal, buzzsaws wrapped, exits after two beats hands horizontal(most simple one anyway)?

?

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
and yes i was smoking arashi. but i think you'll find i called it a reef knot.

now the triple hyper-biftaknot...thats another story.

R

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
bloo - i think what arashi did there was made a kind of pun.

its a play on words and is generally used to comic effect.

and i would answer you question but i just spoke to you on the phone so you know the answer now anyway

see ya tomorrow mr grumpy

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Cheers, I think i've got it. Theres just different numbers of outside circles before getting into a buzzsaw hyp.
And the only way I can do nix's version is from reverse spinning. Which is odd because i can't do any others from reverse...

--Ben

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
rah.

having an evening at coles doing airwrap theory.

(nerds i know)

and come up with another few tasty manouvres.

but ****. unfortunateely there is no real way to describe them that would differentiate from others that are similar but fundamentally different.,

so dan i guess you're right i'm just going to have to make a video. how about next sunday?

R

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
respect to mr Blackass. this man does things i don't understand with poi...

I'm sorry but I,m going to have to increase your rent (and probably demand it early again)

---------------------------------
Breathing fire doesn't look good on the resume - Everclear

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
erm. ross.

did you realise when writing this post it appears you are demanding me as a rent boy?

just wondering.

you'd better get some oil on that door.

R

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
HAH HAH HAH! blookat...

I've been doing a little loopy theory myself...

(yes, I freely admit to idolizing the main characters in the nerds movies... especialy "revenge of the nerds, nerds in paradise" especialy POIndexter, he's my hero...)

....anyways, I discoverd some nifty manuvers from a butterfly nexus. after the initial nexus forms, and the poi move outside, bonce both poi on the extended fore-arms, once.. or twice... and proceed from there....

the one bounce simply exits on the side you started from. the double bounce you must release one head down and flick the other up so as to exit it as a weave nexus.

Now that I have thur-holy confused everybody, I guess I'm just gona hafta make a video...

also, from a weave nexus, catch one poi head in it's hand and swing the other around in variouse manners...then release the head to release the nexus. very nerdy, but fun...

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
LOL!!!!!

you have just described bluecats favriot move!!!!!

T

-><- Kallisti

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
dantana wait a second... isn't that double handcuff wrap the same move you were describing in the jedi thread, the one where i was like, wow, we're working on the same move at the same time?!?!? now i am really confused... either that or we're really getting into subtleties here.
my favorite new move, only did it once on accident so far but darnit it's making a comeback next dance day... simple 1 beat wall plane opened out same direction airwrap (or whatever it is called when your hands stay in one place and the wrap is near the end), but the poi tangle up until the end of the chain slacks out and the wicks change direction after 1/2 of the wrap and come back out the other way. sort of like a airwrap stall but without a stall. makes a really cool little pattern in the air, and looks great after a succession of one beats. at least when i was practiceing rows of one beat wraps and i messed up it did
uh oh now this hijacked a$$ thread is becoming another "i got new moves" thread... poor shadow steppin is like, damn, guys, i just wanted to know what the heck you were talking about

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:

[ 19. October 2003, 07:57: Message edited by: arashi ]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:

[ 19. October 2003, 07:57: Message edited by: arashi ]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:

[ 19. October 2003, 07:56: Message edited by: arashi ]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:

[ 19. October 2003, 07:55: Message edited by: arashi ]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:

[ 19. October 2003, 07:56: Message edited by: arashi ]

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
no no no, it's differnt. because I never had a nexus in with a butterfly handcuff wrap, I had a nexus with a weave handcuff. . Also it is diferent because my hands are kept about 1/2 meter apart, as opposed to the standard handcuff recoil wrap in which the wrists are touching.

HAH HAH!!! we SO hijacked this thread!!!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
arashi nice eleventy post.
I guess if somethings worth saying its worth repeating for half a page

Got a really elegant little proof (!!!) that hyperloops (2 or 3 circle) and airwraps are different moves, and a cute little demo of the differences.

will try to get my stills! camera and get it into a transmittable form.

until then.... you can demo, if you spin a 2 or 3 circle hyperloop weave

and then spin an compare with an airwrap weave.
(3:52 to 3:55 spinning in paris part 2,
aside: then the
3rd airwrap in SiParis is a tangle buzzsaw in an airwrap, (aka a maxi plus!! or dantana calls it an "inside hyperloop weave" - insidehyperloopweave.mpg- Is that still on your site dan?)

and wonder how they happen in completely separate part of the weave, so If you want you can make a
hyperloop (2circle) & airwrap weave. so there an airwrap on each side of the weave and a hyperloop each time it changes side.

why is this here?
la la la

as for the wrap being one-third or half way down the chain for hyperloop or airwrap
it doesn't really matter!! if you add in human tolerances they become the same thing.
as long as the wrap is in the same place on each poi, and the head speeds are the same for neatness just cos I think dan misinterpreted this bit judging by his post above. (even more aside: I don't know anyone who is working on doing assymetric tangles on purpose. they just used to happen like that on a bad day.)

I prefer a pure airwrap to be as close to the head as I can get, cos it looks cute smaller and fast, and push them out to mid chain if i'm in the mood, or putting them before and after isolations and hyperloops.

and hyperloops i aim for exaclty mid-chain, for symmetry, add in a bit of tolerance- human error and in reality I do them somewhere between about the handle and the bottom 1/4 of the the chain.
Error bars an all

Thats why IT's a discrete continuum.

hugs y'all
Drew

[ 19. October 2003, 07:08: Message edited by: Glåss ]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yes, what he said.

-><- Kallisti

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
ok glass, I am finaly begining to understand your theory here .

HOwever, the chain wrap position matters greatly when you start throwing in recoil wraps on your arms, etc. symetry and placement are paramount. If you are off by 1/5 of the chain your recoil will flop...

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
ok, yep that makes sense.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
oh yea, glass, I forgot to mention, I took the "inside hyperloop weave" clip off the web site a long time ago... It may still exist in "net land", but I don't know. Anyways, it sucked, I have better equipment to make videos with now anyways... (P.s> I love the chemistry link above, I have never seen orbitals drawn so clearly)

I _AM_ planning on creating a "nexus" video as soon as I make it back to the States. I have figured out a wicked method for clarity. I will be using sock poi, with contrasting colors. maybe black and white. That should make everything easy to see. maybe even throw in a little of my new found slow motion effects.

BTW, after being in china for two weeks with notheing but sock poi, I have decided that they make nexus work so easy I almost consider sock poi to be "cheating"... pretty much all "errors" can be resolved with a simple tug...

Oh yea, and I also accidentaly did a double nexus from a butterfly character corkscrew nexus. just as it exited the head ends did another mini nexus on the down side. It was like a sideways version of the 1/3 head side wall plane nexus (as featured at the end of "danhyperloops") one day maybe I will be able to do it again and get it on tape...

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by bluecat:
erm. ross.

did you realise when writing this post it appears you are demanding me as a rent boy?

just wondering.

you'd better get some oil on that door.

R

Alright Ma!

---------------------------------
Breathing fire doesn't look good on the resume - Everclear

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Glåss:
Got a really elegant little proof (!!!) that hyperloops (2 or 3 circle) and airwraps are different moves, and a cute little demo of the differences.

until then.... you can demo, if you spin a 2 or 3 circle hyperloop weave

and then spin an compare with an airwrap weave.
(3:52 to 3:55 spinning in paris part 2,

and wonder how they happen in completely separate part of the weave, so If you want you can make a
hyperloop (2circle) & airwrap weave. so there an airwrap on each side of the weave and a hyperloop each time it changes side.

now i'm confused...

can you not swap where in the weave you do the 'static' 2 circle tangle (airwrap) and the 2 circle side change tangle (hyperloop)?

the easiest variation of this (still not very easy as you get a cross arm tangle or have to chuck in a flower type movement - will explain later) would be to simply swap the two moves - ie. you do a static 2 circle airwrap from the position you spin the 2-circle hyperloop from (hands top and bottom) and then tangle and change sides (2 circles) from the position you were spinning your static airwraps at in spinning in paris.

its harder in this order because of hand positions but it can be done.
chain length only makes a cosmetic difference (it affects the circle size and the speed change) to the side change airwrap and makes the static ones a little easier if you go for the tangle close to the heads.

reason its a bit harder this way: if you spin the static airwrap with your hands top/bottom, then move your hands round to the next tangle position, the natural movement is to follow the poi's direction (a la fountains and same direction flowers) which leaves you with crossed arms - ie. your side change airwrap will go from right to left with right hand furthest away from you (a little bit awkward).
the alternative is after the staic airwrap exits, to move the hands counter to the poi movement (a la reverse fountains and opposite direction flowers) which will leave you in the same position for this tangle as you were in spinning in paris.

i may be leading this argument towards 'its all just one move' ('a tangle is a tangle') but i still don't see a solid distinction between airwraps and hyperloops.

the way i understand tangles at the moment:
a static airwrap tangles on one side of the hands and exits on the other.
a hyperloop (side change airwrap) tangles on one side on the body and exits on the other.

they seem like the same move with the transition exaggerated for hyperloops (which is why half way down the chain makes sense as it gives you more time on the transition).

but in the immortal words of thom yorke, i might be wrong.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
And I thought things were confusing BEFORE....

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
The move where you form a nexus from a weave, and grab one poi in it's own hand, then play with it, well, instead of grabing the poi at the head (as I was doing earlier), grab it close to the nexus, then you can spin both poi using one hand, just like a meteor. Then turn the body 180 and release the poi chain to exit the nexus. During this the other hand simply stays next to the forearm and doesn't move. so it allows you to do some one handed weave stuff, even though you have poi in each hand the whole time.

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
at first i thought someone should put a warning label on this thread ... something like:

for poi ubernerds only
(um, i mean uberGODS, yes, that is what I mean, where did i get nerds?)

but i am just jealous. i can hardly understand a word of the thread, yet i still read it! i don't know why.

oh wait. i do know why. you boys are just so sexy when you talk shop!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
hehe it's about time we had some babes around that could appreciate us
somebody get that gal some backstage passes and a cheerleader outfit and some pom poms

just noticed this
quote:
[dantana said] Also it is diferent because my hands are kept about 1/2 meter apart, as opposed to the standard handcuff recoil wrap in which the wrists are touching.

what crap is this?!?! an american using the metric?!?! i'm reporting you to homeland security...

[ 22. October 2003, 10:13: Message edited by: arashi ]

Page: