Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > weave through the legs to behind the back?

Login/Join to Participate

Joe Marshallnewbie
33 posts

Posted:
I've just had an idea for a move, which might be pretty hard though. I couldn't do it this morning at all.

From a forward weave, speed up one poi so they're almost in sync and put both poi through the legs. Then jump up over your arms to land in front of your arms doing behind the back.

The poi are in the right place (going upwards) for you to put your hands pretty low so you don't have to jump super-high to get over the hands, just bend your knees a lot.

In trying this I just got all tangled up. I can just about jump over the hands without the poi though, the timeing of the poi seems to be the most difficult part.

I couldn't find anything on the search, so does anyone do this and have any tips?

Joe

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
If I understand correctly you are effectively doing the same thing as bringing them past you ass behind you except at the same time between your legs and then simltaineously stepping over your hands?

Might be nice if you summersaulted or rolley-polleyed (is that a word?) into the same thing me thinks...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I don't think its a mtter of jumping high... I tried with my poi since I do a lot of this stuff and foudn it nearly impossible (not saying it can't be done) to jump between my arms when weaving between the legs.. since I can't fit my body between my arms when doing a weave...

HOWEVER

I found it significantly easier to do a weav in front and step through with one leg (thus resulting in a weave with one hand BTL) and then step through with the other leg (more of a little hop) and voila.. BTB weave..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Joe Marshallnewbie
33 posts

Posted:
I've had a bit more of a play and worked out what I need to do.

What to do is:-

Speed up one poi so they both go together into the middle under the legs, hands uncrossed, legs wide, poi as wide apart as possible between the legs. You're kind of bringing them out of the weave briefly and then into the weave as soon as they come out.

Jump up and bring legs inwards over the arms and the poi as they go to horizontal behind you.

The key thing is that you're not jumping forwards, you're jumping inwards, like a star jump or something.

I played with jumping between two sticks held horizontally through my legs and I'm convinced that it's possible, the timing is going to be really hard with poi though.

Having said that, I can't even get the two stage step over you described yet, so I don't expect to be doing this very soon.

Joe

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
to each their own.. I prefer to step though like I emntioned above since its continuous and doesn't require the poi to change timing..

Joe Marshallnewbie
33 posts

Posted:
any chance of a video of the step through move as I just fall over or get tangled up when I try it.

Are you doing it all in one go, or are you stepping one leg through, doing weave for a little bit behind one leg and then stepping through the other leg.

Thinking about it, you could step over with one leg and hold it in the air pointing sideways then kind of roll your body so the other leg points sideways to do the other step-over and make it into quite a long transition.

Joe

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I wish I had a cam that could do video.. but while doing a weave on one side.. I prefer to start on my left side...lkinda like afountain.. and it goees from the wall plane in frontI stgep through and its in the wall plane in back withone hand BTL... and then pull the other leg through as it weave back front... the best way to describe it would be like doing a fountain, stepping thourgh as it goes into a BTB fountain..