AalatheaGOLD Member
80 posts

Posted:

ok, so for a couple months i've been stuck in a rut in terms of thinking creatively about new moves and such. but i've finally found the inspiration i was looking for.
i've completely been turned on to between the legs moves. i've realized that you can throw this into really any move. i've also realized its the only thing i can do in my room without breaking stuff.
like right now i'm working on a weave between the legs (going from side to side).
so, i'm wondering how many people do a lot of that stuff and if you have any origianl moves you do that youre really proud of.

and also just in general, what sort of inspiration has gotten other people out of creative ruts, be it families of moves, entirely different conceptions of poi, or introducing new elements?

(all apologies if this topic is confusing or redundant)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
well 1) BTL is lots of fun and you can weave it easily or just through a poi through there for fun... its not quite as free as say behind the head or back or anything since, I haven't really found a way to bring a butterfly BTL without jumping..

2) BTL opens up for more stuff like jump kicks and flips and stuff.. which is a whole new arena of fun...

3) creativity... the best inspiration comes from jsut doing.. Think of yor movements as a foundation.. (i.e. the one listed in the lesson section) every move, combo, transition, etc. you learn becomes another level.. it teaches you a new way of doing things.. the extra beat when going form 3 to 5bt is the same as a 5 to 7 bt etc.. you just have to practice and work at combining the things you know in new ways.. I think the biggest drawback with most people is that they think too much on their poi and not as much on themselves... there are so many cool things I learned by mving myself around the poi or by doing normal stuff from new positions and the like.. for instance.. take a butterfly.. then you can learn a behind the head butterfly.. an over the shoulder butterfly.. and under the shoulder butterfly.. behind left side or right side butterfly.. behind the back (which involves them seperating and coming back together behind you..)then you can do this butterfly combo that does one beat in front, one beat behind the back, one beat seperated on each side of you behind the back, back to upfront.. then a butterfly bewtween the legs (which involves a jump to get there).. then you can learn to do one beat upfront, jump, 2 beats behind BTL, as you jump again one beat seperated and brought forward for one beat then bhind the head for one beat.. etc.. etc.. etc.. you just keep building on what you know... learn the butterfly, learn to weave... learn to butterfly weave.. I don't really know what else to say you know.. I guess that's just how I see things..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
For me the best way to get insperation, especially once youve reached a certain level is to think less of poi in terms in 'tricks' you can do and more in terms of the patterns you can make with them. get into longarm and seperations, start playing with seperating your butterfly and mixing up the timings. think how its going to look from the outside, watch meenic's video, youll see what I mean.

as for btl moves, ive never really bothered to learn them, but I found myself doing stuff i 'couldent do' btl on fire one night, just cos i thought id like to put the poi there. When it ceases to be 'right, whats the next thing to learn' and becomes 'right, where do I want to move now' is where the real creativity starts.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
A do a few BTL moves

1) I'll use the left hand only as an example. Left hand moving anti0clockwise, you can either move the leg forward and come from behind or backwards and come from the front. You can do the two or these straight after each other, alternating hands.

2) When doing a weave (wheel plane) lift left leg and drop right poi under and back to right. I generally move the left poi out of the way either to the other side of my head or behind my bum.

3) I also like the turning stalls. Open your legs can have the poi come in from either the front or behind and turn as it does so. You can alternate and walk around like a crab or do both at the same time.

4) Wall plane both poi same direction anti-clockwise watermill. As you bring the right poi behind back while lifting left leg backwards and turning body anti-clockwise, bring right poi between leg and hold hand under bum during the turn so the poi completes a circle between legs while turning. At the same time straighten the left arm up above head during the turn and holding there for a circle mid turn then down again in the direction of the turn.

As far as inspiration goesI totally agree with Nix and Rev's points.

Inspiration's funny and unpredictable. I was watching Knoxious do doubles on the user 9 vid and got inspired for a while different style to add to my poi which was just an idea I got while watching him dance....

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
one mroe note on BTL... if you can do it in the wheel plane then it can be done BTL... I'm convinced.. I've gotten the 5bt.. (almost 5 bt with seperations) and I've gotten some butterfly stuff.. and I can hyperloop front to back but haven't gotten a back to fron hyperloop yet.. sooo.. and it didn't take much practice to learn all of these either.. just learn the wheel plane.. then learn to bring it uder the leg.. because under the leg is the same as doing something on the left and right side.. where BTL is the same as doign a front and back plane...

and I agree with what was said about inspiration... the reason I say build on moves is because each move, transition etc teaches you something about planes, or paths... and I guess its the teacher coming out in me, since I find people tend to learn easier when you show explain something using something they know instead of gettign into all the physics... although pretty much all of my ideas have come through day dreaming (or regular dremaing) and letting my mind wander... I tend to see poi more in terms of the physics, but get funny looks from people when I explain it that way..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown