OgniManobBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
I've been trying to keep still while spinning with fast beat music, and failed. I ended up jumping around a lot.

Currently I'm perfecting my 360 deg. jump while doing the 3 beat forward weave. This may be an old move, but I stumbled onto it on my onw, and achieved about ~330 degrees turn. If someone has already come up with this... my respects dude/dudette!

It goes something like this:
1. Start with the forward weave
2. Start walking forward with the weave
3. When the right hand is doing the "over" on the left side, jab your take-off foot on the ground, turn left while jumping off.

Make sure you have enough force to either take to 180 deg, and end in a reverse 3 beat weave, or 300+ degrees so that you have come back to the forward weave by the time you land.

Requires a lot of speed (for me).

That's Shupantha (fellow spinner and a genius), and me doing the 180 deg. jump turn on the right of the pic. Sorry I don't have a better pic, but I will get another shot taken soon.

Non-Https Image Link

[ 15. September 2003, 18:57: Message edited by: OgniManob ]

Live and let live

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
i do a 360 or slightly less jump but with a corkscrew. as the corkscreww goes above your head jump tangke your wrists to add another beat and as you come down your poi should be comming down aswell the wip another 360 just standing for that little extra. looks good and the audience seems to like it.

note. through your hand as high possible coz as a natural reaction your arms come down when you jump and if you dont reach sky high youll hit your face.

hope the discription is ok.

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

OgniManobBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
Hey, thanks for that move. I'll try it out tonight. I'm one of those really *fast* and really *slow* spinners. I love the corkscrew, and to crowd loves it, too, although I'm not a corwd person ... I've already broken my nose on fire kevlars (about 0.5Kg each when dunked and lit) on a really bent down corkscrew with hands really outstreached... But I keep doing it anyway... I've mastered the 360 on my left toe (at the cost of blistering my toe pretty good). The jump sounds interesting...

Here's me doing my signature corcscrew:

Non-Https Image Link

Live and let live

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
is it not a 360 weave combo with a leap in the intervening transition?
when i execute it, i bend my knees prior to the leap for more air.
am currently stuck at performing said movement with btb 360 combinations, but can only get 1 btb weave turn at any one time!
i like cheesecake too.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

OgniManobBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by bender™:
is it not a 360 weave combo with a leap in the intervening transition?
Whoa! Hey, the first time I ever saw Poi spinning is about 2-3 months ago. It's gonna take me some time to figure out the tech jargons, but I'm sure I'll get there someday...

Anyway, if a weave combo is going from fw weave to bw weave to fw weave, then yes, you are correct. I, too, bend my knees to get the extra air. I have so far been able to get a 360 and immediately follow up with a 180 (ending in bw weave). This, I suppose, is from practicing high fw weave turning (without jumping) into a low (knees bent) bw weave...

Live and let live

laZyBRONZE Member
94 posts

Posted:
I just got it a couple of days a go. But as I can't jump for **** my body kinda twists itself round then I jump and untangle my body. The most Ive done is a 540. Thin is that when untwisting if you get it right you body goes int a near horizontal plane. Kinda like a flat spin ( but not quite)

Il try and explain it. (without poi) (and get a mat)
twist your body around to the right as far as it will go without letting your feet leave the ground. now kick you right leg up and round to the left. your face will fly towards the ground ( hence mat!!) fling your arms round to the rith and you should have completed a near horizontal 360 (at this point youll eighter be on the mat all tangled up, but not hurt or as you should be, facing the ground about a meter up and horizontal) now you have to pull another 180 in order to get back to your feet. To do this flip youself over and bend you legs down to the ground. With your arms youneed to shift them to the right and toward your feet.

I can't quite get it all the way with the poi, they tend to tangle on the last part. I dont have a camera or a filmer ( theyre both called camers aren't they) so I can't show you but thats just how I do it. Actually I wouldn't even bother tryimng to learn it because to the untrained eye all the people say is thats just a slightly wonky three sixty and think that you messed up. Oh well.
laZy

as laZy as .....

laZyBRONZE Member
94 posts

Posted:
I just rememberd wher I learnt it. I learnt it on a big trampoline. Then took it to the ground.

as laZy as .....

OgniManobBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
Cool. Thanks LaZy . I'll take the hints and try it out. Sounz kinda like one of them martial art moves... But there you're not really horizontal, more like at a 30 deg angle relative to the ground.

BTW, is this move with the weave or the corkscrew? I do the weave 360+180 where I'm always perpendicular (almost) to the ground.

Live and let live

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
OgniManob, if you find the wrist twist at the top difficult try doing with out it, its still cooland is slightly easier just remember if you want to do a 360 you will have to spin mutch quicker, also without the wrist wrap it doent give the imprestion your takeing off with the poi.

try bend down low the trough evrything up and around, awesome effect.

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Another jumping move you guys might be interested in:

Do an overhead butterfly. Jump in the air as you bring your arms down and your poi are heading behind your back. Bring them under your legs as to avoid your body, and back up again. Looks quite amazing, it's like large spirals of fire around your body.

OgniManobBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
Thanx MilleniuM. Soundz interesting...

Should I imagine that the Poi represents a skipping rope, and I'm skipping backwards?

Live and let live

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Mmmm Millenium I saw a friend do this this weekend with 6 foor poi (three wicks each). It was amazing! Must be careful though, especially with 6 footers... if ya don't jump high enough, they wrap around your feet and its kind of like being hit with a bola (Right? Those things that have three ropes and they tie around your feet?). Anyway, it was amusing to see the guy try to land with his feet tied up, even if it was worrisome at first.

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
beefy, are you talking about knagi??? i think if im not mistaken hes got multi wicks??

Power percieved is power achieved.

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
quote:
Should I imagine that the Poi represents a skipping rope, and I'm skipping backwards?
It's a little bit like that, the jump goes over both poi independantly and should be at your left and right side while under your legs. It looks like a butterfly over your head, and a butterfly under your legs, and back up again.

OgniManobBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:

MilleniuM and LaZy:

Tried both your moves. Nothing came ot of it, yet.

Let's see... I'll keep trying...

Live and let live

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
It's very hard to get the muscle memory for it... make sure to tuck your feet and legs in as much as you can to get the clearance, and really whip it down and back up again.

laZyBRONZE Member
94 posts

Posted:
I breakdance (not too well) so jumping around with poi was just the next step.
But I remember that when I learnt it use swimming pools just to get the confidence then I went onto a trampoine then to a mat.

But my mate who I taught just used to pile up matreses and jump off a chair.

Sometimes you get a mental block. If this happens just leave it for a bit and then come back to it.

Two of the best tricksites ive been to are www.breakdance.com and www.trickstutorials.com

good luck,

oh yeah just gotta say this. If you bust anything I am in no way responsible!

Not that you will if your carefull.

Good luck

laZy

as laZy as .....