Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Hyperloops...again. Simple question

Login/Join to Participate

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
I'm fed up reading about hyperloops and still not being able to know that what i'm doing is a hyperloop or something else. So to the kind person who is reading this could you please answer me whether the series of thing i do is called a hyperloop or not.
Oh yes this computer is s**t and will not run any videos so i cant just see one and no one i know can do them or has even heard of them.
So here we go
In wall plane i make the poi tangle around each other in the middle of the string so they are revolving on a new axis. This is in front of me.
I then step to the other side of the 'knot'.Then as they start to lose momentum i evenly pull the poi apart so that the heads build up/keep speed i do this until they are untangled.
I can also do this in the three beat weave.
Be brutal am i any where near?

Thanks in anticipation

Tennis

My cat's breath smells like catfood

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
sounds like a hyperloop to me!

took me ages to be arsed to learn these, so i know how you feel.

here is a simple one:

reverse 3 beat, poi on the left side of you, when your right hand comes on top move it up towards you left shoulder and drop the left hand downtwards the hip, make the right poi drag through the left poi, as they connect move them accross toi the right side of you.

now learn the othe way!.... i'm still trying it all forwards.

pointless moves, but gotta be good for some thing eventually.

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
so where does the beat thing come in cos i just keep spinning them until they unwind and i can see there is no physical way of untangling them whenever i want (X amount of beats)?
Plus the heads of my poi seem to be my only down fall, sometimes the poi heads bind and i cannot continue, and i hate that. Any hints on that?
Thanks 1112.

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
the way i understand it in the tangle the number of beats is the same no matter what you do as they must tanglefor a certain priod or it does not work.

i can see how many times that is there, i just wait a while the bring accross.

do you have to bring the poi across to untangle? if not its an air wrap ( some think it the same thing. )

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
I must be doing something else then cos it doesn't spin for the same amount of beats trust me.
Whatever i'm doing i've just learnt to apply it to windmills but cannot for the life of me figure out how to 'tangle' them when doing butterfly, as the poi are moving in opposite directions and i cannot make contact. Any help?

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
i sometimes bounce my chains off each other during the bf weave i was told this looks like a airwrap that gets cut short, ive tryed to carry on the tangle but i can never get out, i have no idea how i do it so dont ask(refering to the bounce thing)

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
the hyperloop i described above is the equivelent of a 5 beat weave, the hyperloop to tangle counts as 1 beat and the untangle counts as another, so together with a 3beat weave = 5 beats.

if my understanding is correct the only possible way to add more beats to that is once tangled bring them into a buzzsaw before going accross to untangle.

so basically the whole hyperloop x No of beats = 2 no matter where the hyperloop is.
I'm sure there are other possibilities too but i only bothered to get to understand the basics not so long ago.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Trait Of One Eleven Two™:
now learn the othe way!.... i'm still trying it all forwards.

for some reason I got this down reverse.. but can't do it forward at ALL... I dunno.. glad to see I'm not the only one..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
tennis, for the butterfly, the poi must be on the inside (like as in buzzsaw only butterfly instead) for the chains to cross.

also, try doing them a little faster so that the poi don't loose momentum to quickly, it should help. The poi should come appart without to much effort on your part.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
Hyperloops are frying my brain!!!

For the butterfly hyperloop bring the poi inside the arms (like a bf buzzsaw)on your right and connect the poi as they both go to the bottom, then bounce the tangle up above both arms making a high X infront, and then down to between the arms on the other side of the body...

you can also do a similar hyplp from the butterfly buzzsaw move, only split time hitting the poi when they are closer to you (between your hands and your body), and untangle them further away (ie. the other side of your hands away from the body) This should take you into a weave, in a 90º wall plane to the one you were in with the butterfly.

Cheers to PK for posting that rev 5bt hyperloop just learnt that today but like you said it's a nadger to learn forwards

Good to see people are as being persistant as I am with these stupidly awkward and pretty much useless moves. They are thrashing my head at the moment but I can'y find much else that is new to me to crack on with

nice one for help with new moves people,

take it easy now,
Wolfie

progger

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
they may be useless as a move, but learning them does allow you to recover from accidental tangles almost instantly.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
yup glad to see i aint alone either rev!

i can manage the odd BTB wallplane hyperloop but feels nasty and i cant seem to do it, prolly one of those that you get on min and takes you a year before you can do it again, and too its a reversed hyperloop!

damn forwards spinning.

damn butterfly ones kill me too, i know and have been showed them a million times, but i cant get them to tangle for the sake of it!

who'd have thought being around hyperloops n the rest for a year and a half, i'd have been bothered to learn them back then!, oh well at least i know what the moves are supposed to be doing, now its just the case of getting the poi right.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
quote:
here is a simple one:
I can do right to left and left to right forwards, and right to left reverse. Your simple one is the one outer hyperloop that I've been having trouble with for months

But then i do find reverse butterfly moves easier than normal......

[ 16. September 2003, 10:28: Message edited by: flid ]

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
wow, i'm so glad i use an isp whose admin's know how to correctly configure their cache servers!

What the previous edit was meant to say was:

Has anyone tried corkscrew hyperloops? I got one down, but its tight as........ and, when i exit it I hafta duck, cause they have a tendency to fly straight towards my face

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
yea, I got three different corkscrew ones, but you must be using hella long chains.... you wrap in the middle of the chain right? (btw, they mostly differ because of the setup and how I follow through with them)

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
actually i wrap towards the ends whilst they are at the bottom part of the corkscrew, then as they start to wrap, pull on the chains and flick them upwards, so the wrap is inverted and unwraps.

I'm working on (playing with?) wraping the chains at the top part so they can unwrap at the bottom, so they fly towards my waist and not my head. Whilst I've never hit my head from the above hyperloop, it still puts the fear in me when they unwrap at that height

Hyperloops are great thou, the other move that I shamelessly stole off you is the corkscrew airwrap/throw type thing. At first i thought it was a bit crap cause you hafta stand looking dumb whilst they wrap up, but if you arch your back back and take the connected poi in your left hand as they start to wrap, moving it around your back and grabbing with the right, when you bring them to the front again they are wrapped just enough to be thrown, and looks pretty neat

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
HAH HAH! Sweet! I love it. I'm going to have to shamelessly steal it back from you! Except I'll add beat and a turn and then you can steal it from me again

Anna-panannaThinking...
179 posts

Posted:
Tip for anyone trying to learn hyperloops: use sock poi!!! I know there is at least one other thread on here somewhere which is raving about sock poi, but just thought I'd bring it up here as well! Just put little juggling balls or beanbags in the end of knee-high socks and *ta da* you have yourself some lovely poi! And they work wonders for hyperloops, you can really see what you're doing!

Practice as if your hair was on fire...

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
quote:
HAH HAH! Sweet! I love it
thinking about it thou, you have about 6 seconds in which to do *what ever you want* with it. Just went out for a quick go and managed to do spining around the poi (instead of the poi spinning around you) and passing them around the back and back to the front between the legs. The possibilities arn't endless, but there's quite a few variations. Just think one handed staff, if that makes sense?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
you could hold the chains down by your crotch and do a double leg wrap (one on each leg) to unwrap. or wrap them again to return to the original direction then do the throw.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
now that would be evil

Just tried it, not one for baggy trousers, and you hafta go into it at high speed or else they don't rebound fast enough to unwrap nicely. I'll play

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I do hyperloosp in my corkscrew.. well one at least.. when the 4bt cork opens for a seperation, I let them tanlge for the hyperloops but then move my arms so that the poi go over one arm under the other then under the first and over the second and then back over the first which opens to the serpration on the other end of the 4bt cork... its more of a hyperlooping buzzsaw thing... but I only do it in the corkscrew... its one of those moves that makes people watching just kinda go "whaaaa?"

edit: oh yeah.. and I don't use long chains either... I don't know why it was said that you need longer chains... you just need to make sure you are spinning heavier poi.. and air resistance helps because it slows them down enough to dodge... because if they are too light they won't ahve momentum, and if they are too aerodynamic, they'll spin faster and its harder to dodge them when they go between the arms and stuff..

funny thing is that I can do hyperloops from a bunch of different places (corks, weaves, BTB, BTL) but its always with the equivalent of a reverse weave pattern... I can't do it with forward based stuff.. but then again.. ever since I learned the 5 bt reverse, everything forward jsut seems not as much fun.. and a little mroe difficult when first learning.. I don't really understand..

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
hey rev, I was working on something almost similar to that, about four months ago. Except I was doing it from a weave. It was a like a five beat weave with a hyperloop added to it, while the arms were crossed, but it ended up becomeing something weird like you are describing. it was strange because the arms sort of switched sided in the opposite order from normal (for it to work correctly)nevermind, I can't realy describe it better, so I guess I shut up for now...

I only managed to do it right about 1% of the time so I gave up for a while.... and forgot about it untill just now.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Has this thread turned into a weird hyperloop variation discussion?

if so, from inner hyperloops, left to right, I've only just gotten to the point where i can exit them most of the time. Whilst i've been battling with it I've discovered a really weird variation which I can't recreate, i just do it every now and then. Basically when you pull out of the tangled buzzsaw the poi sort of lock and spin in the opposite direction. Bah, i can't explain it, but i'll try and capture it on video sometime, cause it looks really really freaky and you can exit it cleanly.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
flid I guess so.. hehe.. and the move that you are doing is kinda hard to describe.. what happens is the tanlge sort of jumps strings at the point it should untangle and goes back the other direction... its hard to do on purpose.. but if you learn to jerk (or pop) the the poi right before they untangle it will go jump into a hyperloop going the other way.. so as long as you keep upmomentum you can go back and forth..

Dantana.. well its acutally not that hrd from a corkscrew.. it does most of the work itself.. when doing a counter-clockwise corkscrew (I'll start at the bototm going up), the right poi will be coming down and hit the left poi poi coming up.. when they tangle the left poi will be leading.. the left poi will come over the left arm at the 9:00, then under the right arm at the 3:00, then you have to lift the right arm so that the poi go under the left arm at the 9:00 and then over the right arm at the 3:00.. the hard part is remmebering that it still has to make a loop over the left arm again (and the poi at this point should be making a loop over your head).. this last revolution finishes the hyperloop so that the right poi will be leading again instead of the left poi, and is the only way to get the poi to untangle.. from ther you just open for the seperation, connect and go back down... but that's a whole other can of worms..
oh and while you are bobbing your amrs up and down to dodge the poi it helps to make little spirals with your hands (like little circles while bobbing up and down) that part is hard to describe and it can be done without them but it helps maintain momentum and stuff..

enjoy..

[ 18. September 2003, 12:26: Message edited by: Rev ]

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I have a feeling I'm going to be hurting myself a lot this week because of this thread BTW...

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I get the idea-ish... as in u end up twistin ur poi.... hmmmm

Shokmember
25 posts

Posted:
If you huys check out the video section and download my video, you will see a shit load of hyperloop variations...just a thought...